The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

ZMoberg's HCT-12

Name: Zack Moberg
    Height: 6'6"
    Weight: 170

Goals: I'm looking to get back over 200lbs, while incorporating some cardio with it. I'm trying to get my strength, cardio, mental well being, and overall health back..

About Me: I've been training on and off for years, but never with a serious or dedicated attitude. I will go hard for 6 months, make great progress and meet a girl, or join a different paintball team, or start working at another bar. Excuse after excuse really. I'm waking up after almost a year of a poor relationship, years of smoking cigarettes, drinking to get drunk, smoking pot and taking pain killers to forget and not feel. At one point I played baseball for Florida State until I tore my rotator cuff and went back to paintball. I need the discipline and routine in my life or else I loose track of everything. I just got out of a relationship and have spent the past 2+ months reflecting and realizing. I'm ready to get my life back on track in the direction that it should have been going all along. Im ready to get me back.

Did I mention that I eat like crap? And barely anything? But I'm working on that, and conciously making myself eat more.

Why HCT-12: I chose this program because I always stuck to the SS method and I was looking for a change. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed SS but like I said, if i'm going in a new direction with life, might as well change things up in the gym too.

My previous username was Twirl.
    Last edited by ZMoberg; 07-09-2010 at 08:09 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Reserved.... for photos to come.....
    Last edited by ZMoberg; 07-07-2010 at 10:47 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Wednesdays workout -

Bench Press - 155 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

OH BB Press - 100 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

DB Rows - 55 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Chins - BW x 6
    BW x 6
    BW x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Dips - BW x 6
    BW x 6
    BW x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Incline DB Press - 45's x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Thoughts - The cluster at the end felt pretty good, different, but good. I just posted my top sets... They're all extremely low right now, but I have never gotten serious enough with my diet to get back to the respectable numbers I had before my injury, and "clouded time". Did I grasp this right? Work up to a 6 rep max and add a cluster of 3x2? immediately (or as soon as you think you can)??

Yup, you got it right. Good luck!

Nice start. Good luck to you.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Rest Day

Thoughts -

One word....ouch....It's been months since I've been in the gym and I knew it was going to tickle for a little bit. But when I started getting tight last night, I knew this morning was going to be "special" to say the least. But it's a well rounded ouch hah. I'm excited about this with it being something new and really giving it an honest go as far as rest, supplementation, and calorie intake. We'll see, at the moment i'm just trying to gain any and all weight that I can. I'll worry about that foreign word "cutting" way way down the road. But all in all a great first impression.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Roberts View Post
    Yup, you got it right. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Nice start. Good luck to you.
    Thanks guys, it's nice to actually get feedback. I was curious about the incline db, was that picking two from vertical pressing, and I go with one or the other?

Try the Db Incline Press for a while. If it works, then great. If you start to see things stall out, then switch to a traditional triceps exercise.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Cool, thanks man. I'll give it a shot.

Wannabebig Member
    Friday's Workout

Back Squat - 175 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Deadlift - 225 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Seated Calf Raises - 225 x 3 sets to failure

Ab Work - Plank Progressions
    Hanging Leg Raises - 8lb med ball between my feet 3 x 15

DB Curl - 35's x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Thoughts -
    All in all it was a good workout. I went low with the DL's because the 6 is a new number for me and i'm surprised I ramped it up that high. I was just excited about doing them again, I may have jumped to much too early, but I'll keep eating like a mad man and see what happens. I like the all around feeling I get when I leave knowing that I got a well rounded workout. I just need to make sure to keep up the other 75% of it by eating enough. My upper body is still wrecked from wednesday, and I'm sore all over. Now I'm sure I'll be walking funny at work all day tomorrow and tomorrow night.

Wannabebig Member
    Oh and I'm supplementing with whey, creatine mono, fish oils, and a multi. Figured those were pretty much the staples (like the article said). Maybe when I get back on my feet 100% and run out I'll go with nitrean and the other atlarge products, but for now, I have to use what I've got available.

Good job on the BIG day.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Wannabebig Member
    Sunday - Rest Day

I really need to start focusing more my out of gym time. Rest and nutrition is at a horrible low on the weekends, I work from 12:30pm - 4 am or so, leaving me to get home around 6am or so. only to do it all over again. I do that every thurs - sat. ( I'm a bartender at a couple bars). I spend a lot of time behind the bar and practicing flair for competition and work. Did I mention its hard as hell to flip bottles or have any kind of stability or finess when you can barely move?

Wannabebig Member
    Monday - Workout A
    Weight - 168lbs....

OH Press - 105 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Bench Press - 160 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Chins - BW x 6
    BW x 6
    BW x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Dips - BW x 7
    BW x 7
    BW x 7 x 2 x 2 x 2

Incline DB Press - 50 x 6
    50 x 1
    45 x 2 x 2
    40 x 2

DB Rows - 60 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Thoughts - I really need to save the dips and chins for last, I think it screwed me on the incline. Everything else went up 5lbs like I wanted and definately had more in me for the OH Press and rows. I'm focusing on my form for my bp right now and did my best to fire my lats, and man are they weak.... The weekends are just hard for me, I know its an excuse. I looked at my legs disgusted today, I look like a crack addict....Oh well time to shut up and eat. I just need to keep focusing on eating enough no matter what.
    Last edited by ZMoberg; 07-12-2010 at 06:02 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    I have a question about the deload and time for 15 reps. I assume it's just when you stall out? How long do you do the 15 rep work outs? And when you switch back to the 6 rep sessions what % of your previous 6RM do you start at?

Wannabebig Member
    Tuesday - Rest Day
    Weight - 169lbs (before breakfast)

Well, I'm up a whole 1lb from yesterday =). I'd give my diet yesterday a C+ or B-. Could have been better, but could have been a lot worse. I do however feel a lot better compared to last weeks recovery days. Less sore, and a lot more range of motion hah. I can actually get some worth while flair practice in today. You ever tried to catch and throw bottles behind your back and head when you can't lift your arms above your shoulders? Haha, it's a struggle that's for damn sure.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMoberg View Post
    I have a question about the deload and time for 15 reps. I assume it's just when you stall out? How long do you do the 15 rep work outs? And when you switch back to the 6 rep sessions what % of your previous 6RM do you start at?
    Answered my own question about when to implement the deload week. Now about the next cycle. How do I determine what % of the 6RM from the previous cycle to start with? Just where ever I feel comfortable?

Wannabebig Member
    Wednesday - Workout B
    Weight - 172lbs....before coffee and breakfast

Deadlift - 235 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

BB Curls - 80 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Ab work - Hanging Leg Lifts - 3 x 15

Squats - 165 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Seated Calf Raises - 225 x 3 x failure

Thoughts - Everything felt really good today, I had a lot more left in me for DL's and BB curls for sure. I went down on the squats...I dunno, I just felt weak. I had good form and good drive, but no power this morning. Oh well, more rest and I'll eat more so hopefully next week I can get back up to and over last weeks 6rm. I am starting to eat quite a bit more now. slowly but surely. I give yesterdays diet a B+

Quote Originally Posted by ZMoberg View Post
    Answered my own question about when to implement the deload week. Now about the next cycle. How do I determine what % of the 6RM from the previous cycle to start with? Just where ever I feel comfortable?
    No need for maths, just pick up the bar and see where you end up.

Banned
    Hey man, good to see your on track again. Hopefully the exercise routine will give you some stability. And muscle!

Wannabebig Member
    What has two thumbs and woke up weighing 176? This guy..... yea lame I know, but it's a start. Solid 8lbs in a week, granted it's mostly water weight but hell it puts a small smirk on my face.

Great job for deciding to get back into it! Your doing well, just stick with it no matter what. At 6'6'' you have a looooongggg way to move those weights man! I'm 5'11 and feel kind of lanky compared to some people.

Good job on the gains. Smirk away, you earned it.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Wannabebig Member
    Friday - Workout A
    Weight - 176lbs (before coffee and after morning business)

Bench Press - 165 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

OH Press - 110 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Chins - BW x 3 x 7

Incline DB Press - 50 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Dips - BW x 3 x 8

DB Rows - 65 x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Thoughts - Today all around felt great. I can't explain how sore I was yesterday and how painful work was haha, but I made it through it and kept eating. All of my lifts went up today which I'm happy about and I could feel I had more in me to go. The DB incline, last workout I had to lower the weight to make the cluster sets, but I made it with the starting weight this time so I'm happy with where I'm going. Although I had to work yesterday I still give my diet a B+, I ate consistantly and a lot so all in all it's a good day.
    Last edited by ZMoberg; 07-16-2010 at 11:02 AM.

Wannabebig Member wreckinthangs''s Avatar
    good work on those gains, eating is the hardest part for me too. keep it up.