Thread: Plyometric Routines

Plyometric Routines

I need to find one, I'm switching up my routine. I need help finding a free plyometric routine that works!!

please help me find one!! I know Tom or AC could help in this regard.. Looking for a proven routine!
    -deltoids anonomous

why do you want to do plyometrics? different drills are geared towards achieving different goals... such as increasing vertical, top speed, quickness (aka game speed), etc

i don't know of any good FREE programs anyways though...

I am interested in plyometrics to convert power to appliable speed. + Summer is around the corner, and I'd like to be dunking a basketball again! Also, it's time to switch it up the training regimen, and I'm 20lbs heavy. I went from SS, Powerlifting + body weight circuits,

thanks for the website Future!
    -deltoids anonomous

Buy: Jumping into Plyometrics by Donald Chu.

Its a great book and has given me an array of great plyo movements and programming ideas.
    Sarvamangalam!

You're going to need access to more than just one or two boxes (as I believe you stated in another thread)

I'm one of the people who feels that plyos as a whole are commonly over complicated.

Strengthen your hips, video your jumps so that you can improve your technique and use a wide variety of jumps. Jumps with weight, seated jumps, free jumps and mix up the sets as well.

Most of my athletes add on average 6" onto their verticals within the first 3 months. Obviously the progress slows after that but you get the point

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Would you consider dynamic training with squats, deads and bp valid for this as well?

Valid for increasing their vertical? Yes (aside from the benching)

We use the Westside Method so DE and ME work is the center of our program.

Getting stronger is the core of the program, the vertical will come as they are able to develop more power.

When athletes forget to get stronger, they are just utilizing the current power that they have. Without increasing that capacity for power output, they will run into a wall with their jumps after awhile.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

There might some some crippled guy that disagrees about the BP work! No, I was in robot mode typing.

I like that again you emphasize the LIFTING portion which gets lost by guys. You look at places like ELITE, Defranco's Gym and others that train pro's. These guys lift first and foremost.

Aormz -

I do not have a specific routine that I can post here, and I would just recommend working in a lot of variation:

- Seated Jumps
    - Standing Jumps
    - Running Jumps
    - Weighted Jumps
    - Depth Jumps
    - Varying Heights
    - Varying Rep Ranges
    - Varying Volume
    - Switching Rest Intervals
    - Jump & Touch (Ceiling/Etc.)
    - Long Jump
    - Jump Rope (double unders, etc.)

Just like with weight training, consistency and variation are important with plyometrics. I would alternate between volume/conditioning workouts and power workouts.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 02-16-2010 at 04:40 PM.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

if you're looking to increase your vert...most people are either lacking in the strength department or the ability to utilize that strength department. if you're lacking in strength, you need to squat mainly. and deep squats too. if you can squat at least 1.5x your body weight, then look into plyometrics.

as far as plyometric routines go, id recommend the vertical jump bible. it offers a lot of insight into how jumping specifically works and what kind of work you should be doing based on your body type.
    ain't nuttin but a peanut.

You will have gotten stronger when the weight that feels heavy is actually heavier than the weight that feels heavy now. Then the weight that feels heavy now will be a warmup for the weight that feels heavy then. But the weight will always feel heavy or you're not lifting enough weight. Clear? -Rippetoe

Thanks doods for the feedback!

I'm actually thinking about breaking down and buying the Donald Chu book,i've heard nothing but good things from more than a few people about it!

I have access to 3 boxes, the highest is maybe 48, 36, 24

when I start jumping with weight, what is the best method for this?? A vest?? my vest goes up to 25lbs that's it!

I appreciate the tip on conditioning / power which is most likely what I'm going to do. I like the idea for taxing different coordination levels of the CNS. I am definitly going to keep on lifting Travis with this routine.
    -deltoids anonomous