The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Baby got back excercise selection

I'm still tossing up routines trying to find which I want to do. I have a few questions about baby got back.

Mon
    1x5 deadlift
    3x8 bent rows
    5x5 bench press
    3x8 incline dumbell press
    3x12-20 seated calve raises
    3x8-12 weighted ab crunches

Tue
    5x5 squats
    3x8 barbell lunges
    3x12-20 ???
    5x5 bicep curls
    3x8-12 hammer curls

Wed
    5x5 chins
    3x12 barbell pullovers
    5x5 overhead press
    3x8 side lateral raises
    3x8-10 standing calve raises
    3x8-12 weighted ab crunches

Thur
    5x5 romanian deadlifts
    3x8 good mornings
    3x12-20 ???
    5x5 bench dips
    3x8-12 skull crushers

Questions:
    1. Is it ok to do 3x5 instead of 5x5 for bench press, squat, bycep curl, overhead press, and romanian deadlift?

2. Is bicep curl really meant to be 5 reps? Haven't seen that in any other routine

3. Is it ok to do 3x8-12 instead of 5x5 for chin ups and dips, as I would have to use an insane amount of weight for 5 reps, plus I have had good results for higher rep chins.

4. Is it too much stress on your body having deadlifts, romanian deadlifts, and good mornings in the same routine? And having romainian deadlifts and good mornings on same day?

5. Anyone got suggestions for a hamstring dominant quad accessory workout for tue, and a quad dominant hamstring accessory excercise for thur? I have a barbell, light dumbells, and a squat rack.

6. Generally are chins pullups (overhand) or chinups (underhand) or do they alternate each week or?

7. I have tried squatting the day after deadlifts before but it's not enough recovery time for my back. Any way of avoiding this?

Thanks
    Last edited by greemah; 02-17-2010 at 02:24 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I have had a thorough going over of this routine and made some changes. What do you think of this:

Mon
    1x5 deadlift
    3x8 bent rows
    3x5 bench press
    3x8 incline dumbell press
    3x15 weighted ab crunches

Tue
    3x8 barbell lunges
    3x15 standing calve raises
    3x5 bycep curls
    3x12 hammer curls

Wed
    3x8 chins
    3x12 barbell pullovers
    3x5 overhead press
    3x8 side lateral raises

Thur
    3x5 squats
    3x5 romanian deadlifts
    3x8 bench dips
    3x12 skull crushers

That should stop excercises from interfering with each other, and make the workout more suitable for my body. Anyone see any problems with it?

Given your history and recent posts, I would look for a less aggressive routine.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

What do you mean, less days / less volume?

Quote Originally Posted by greemah View Post
    What do you mean, less days / less volume?
    Yes. I'm from the do less not more camp.
    It's just easier to keep gains going and make adjustments with a simple routine.
    But, that doesn't mean BGB won't work for you. I'm just throwing in my 2 cents.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Questions:
    1. Is it ok to do 3x5 instead of 5x5 for bench press, squat, bycep curl, overhead press, and romanian deadlift?
    Yes, that's fine.

2. Is bicep curl really meant to be 5 reps? Haven't seen that in any other routin
    You don't have to. The general idea is to lift in the strength range for the first movement and that's how it was initially set up. Since you're hitting bis (at least indirectly) two other day of the week heavy, you can something like 3x8 or the like for curls.

3. Is it ok to do 3x8-12 instead of 5x5 for chin ups and dips, as I would have to use an insane amount of weight for 5 reps, plus I have had good results for higher rep chins.
    5x5 is designed to increase your strength. Stronger muscles are better at getting bigger. Are you getting stronger with 3x8? What is wrong with adding "insane amount of weight" to chins?

4. Is it too much stress on your body having deadlifts, romanian deadlifts, and good mornings in the same routine? And having romainian deadlifts and good mornings on same day?
    Not for most lifters. Try periodizing the rep ranges if you think you're overtraining.

5. Anyone got suggestions for a hamstring dominant quad accessory workout for tue, and a quad dominant hamstring accessory excercise for thur? I have a barbell, light dumbells, and a squat rack.
    I've used machines when I did these. Just keep the weight light and do high reps. RDLs and GMs are fine on quad day and lunges and split squats are fine on ham day.

6. Generally are chins pullups (overhand) or chinups (underhand) or do they alternate each week or?
    Yes. No need to switch, really. You can if you want to do but you certainly don't have to each week.

7. I have tried squatting the day after deadlifts before but it's not enough recovery time for my back. Any way of avoiding this?
    Periodize. Lift heavy on squats and light on deadlifts one week, then switch it up the next week.

Think I will give it a go as I've heard nothing but good things about this routine, plus I want to work my legs twice a week and have some extra arm work like this routine does.

If I feel I may be overtraining or getting burnt out I will try hard to do it mon,tue,thur,fri instead, and if that doesn't fix the problem I will revert back to a 3 day routine.

Thanks Progress didn't see your post before when I replied - Ok I will give 3x5 a go for bicep curls and 3x5 for chinups as well. I can only do bench dips though so I am limited with the amount of weight I can use, I am currently doing 3x15 with 40kg but it would be a mission loading any more weight on my lap (I don't have anyone who can help me)

Good luck. The routine is filled with great lifts. If you feel yourself start to stall, then don't be afraid to insert extra rest days.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Good luck. The routine is filled with great lifts. If you feel yourself start to stall, then don't be afraid to insert extra rest days.
    Thanks, will keep a log and pics and check progress in 6-8 weeks. If it's good I'll post it lol

Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greemah
    Yes. No need to switch, really. You can if you want to do but you certainly don't have to each week.
    So are chins meant to be overhand or underhand? I assume underhand as they are called chinups (as opposed to pullups)?

You have two different routines posted. Which one are you doing?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

The second one

So are chins meant to be overhand or underhand? I assume underhand as they are called chinups (as opposed to pullups)?
    I do pull-ups overhand and chin-ups underhand. I prefer overhand for full ROM. Don't stress over stuff like this. Pick one and go with it.

Thanks, think I'll stick with underhand chinups as I have had good results with them. Did the last day of my old routine yesterday so tried the 3x5 chinups as a test and did 2 sets of 20kg (44lb) then 1 set of 30kg (66lb). Think I'll try 3x5 25kg next workout. Bit hard having it all in a backpack though, may have to look at using a belt!

Get a DB-Dip belt if your gym doesn't already have one. I've got one that's always in my gym bag.