The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Update to my knee surgery, and getting back in the gym

Hey guys. I just wanted to update you all a bit on my goings on.

I had knee surgery in September after lifting for about 9 months straight, and making some great gains. I started at 176lbs and peaked at just over 220 lbs (evening weight). All my lifts of course went up, and some doubled (squat and deadlift). The surgery I had required me to be non-weight bearing for 6 weeks. I actually had 4 surgeries at once, but it was the microfracture surgery that kept me on the couch with my foot in the air. For some reason, I was thinking I was going to just hit that 6 week point and I'd be up and running again. Yeah, it didn't work like that. The first time I tried to put some weight on it, it was like I stepped into a big pool, and I just dropped. So not only could I not walk without crutches, but I had atrophied in that time down to about 180 lbs. A lot of muscle was lost, but I lost some fat too which was nice. My calf muscle on the bad leg had literally melted away to less than half the size of my other one. It was like a stick. The meds I was on made me constipated and I had no appetite. Almost 5 months of physical therapy later...I'm able to squat and deadlift with no pain. I still can't run or jump over a few inches (had a 42" vertical in college), but it's definitely coming together nicely.

So onto the lifts.

I finally got the okay to squat and dead more than my bodyweight (not that I could anyway), so I started Bill Starr's intermediate 5x5 again a few weeks ago. This is what I was on when I put on the weight before. So here's where I'm at, 3 weeks into the program, which is basically the break-even point of the initial deload...next week will be moving up the weights.

Bench 245x5
    Squat 190x5
    Dead 260x5
    Row 230x5
    Military 135x5

Obviously my leg excercises are very weak, but I hope to add another 200 lbs to them in the next 18 months. I'd also like to get up to about 305x5 on bench by 1/1/11, to go with my goal of 230 lbs (I'm back up to 210 now... 5'11" ).

I wish you all the best, thanks for reading my crappy posts, and stay healthy.
    Last edited by kmagnuss; 02-17-2010 at 08:20 PM.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Good to hear you're back at it. I had a similar situation after breaking my kneecap in 5 pieces. Off the leg for weeks, and pain killers for what seemed like ever. Although I was just under 200 when it happened so I slumped back down to like 170ish. Know exactly what you mean about the atrophy and appetite. It's frustrating, but just knowing how much better it is to be bigger and stronger and having been there makes it easier to stay motivated, for me at least.

Good luck and keep at it.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

that sucks to have been out so long and lose all of your previous gains but good job not giving up and getting back into the gym!
    good luck with your goals
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 175

B: 255x1 DL: 375x1 SQ: work in progress

Goals: B-275 D-400 S-275 Weight- 180

Your gains will come back faster than you think they will.

Glad to hear your surgery went well and you're back at it though!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Glad it's all turning out well and welcome back to the iron.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Thanks guys.

Yes, the gains have been coming back much more quickly this time around. It's always easier to get it back than to get it for the first time.

Can't wait for getting past where I was about 8 months ago.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788