Thread: What to cut from my diet

Wannabebig Member

What to cut from my diet

Hey guys, I have been at college for about a month now and the "freshman 15" is definitely starting to take its toll... in case you haven't heard this term it refers to the 15 pounds of fat most people put on in their freshman year of college from all the easy access to pretty fatty food. Anyway i have recently noticed my abs disappearing under a disgusting layer of fat... i haven't significantly changed my workout routine (just a few exercises have been rotated out in favor of others to keep the muscle confusion going). Anyway what should i cut from my diet to be able to keep my muscle and lose this bit of fat. Ive already changed all my milk (i drink around 6-8 glasses a day) to skim instead of whole. I was also thinking of just replacing all white breads/starches like potatoes and pasta to pieces of whole wheat bread. Any thoughts? Thanks!
    Stats

Starting weight - 170-175
    Starting height - 6 foot 2.5

Current weight - 200 - 205
    Current height - 6 foot 3

Months lifting - 13

Are you trying to gain weight or stay where you are or lose weight? what's your current routine look like?
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 175

B: 255x1 DL: 375x1 SQ: work in progress

Goals: B-275 D-400 S-275 Weight- 180

What to cut from your diet?...Calories.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Yes calories as offroad said, calculate the calories you were taking in daily before you started college and sort out a diet that you can eat now that is the same amount of calories. Fitday.com can help you out with that

Wannabebig Member
    well yes obviously calories need to be cut but im basically wondering should i cut protein, fats or carbs or what combination of the 3. Percentages would be preferable. A quick overview of my routine is as follows,

monday - rest
    tuesday - core and abs
    wednesday - back, shoulders and neck
    thursday - legs
    friday - rest
    saturday - biceps and forearms
    sunday - chest and triceps

i begin with compound exercises and try to end with isolation, pumping exercises
    Stats

Months lifting - 13

im basically wondering should i cut protein, fats or carbs or what combination of the 3.
    Depends what your macro breakdown is at the moment.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tom183 View Post
    Depends what your macro breakdown is at the moment.
    3000x this.

If you are getting fatter it means: what's going in > what your body's using.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Wannabebig Member
    right now around 15 % of my calories come from fat, around 50 % from carbs and 35 % from proteins
    Stats

Months lifting - 13

Quote Originally Posted by ApieceofMEAT View Post
    i haven't significantly changed my workout routine (just a few exercises have been rotated out in favor of others to keep the muscle confusion going).
    My muscles are too smart to confuse. They are smarter than I am. They always seem to know what I'm doing.

They're mischievous too. One time I woke up and they had drawn on my face with a black marker. A permanent marker. So I was all like, "damn it". But what can you do?

right now around 15 % of my calories come from fat, around 50 % from carbs and 35 % from proteins
    Unless you're preparing your own food, I'll lay money your estimates of both your macro breakdown and intake levels aren't even close.

Eat less, move more. Done. Since you're a college student, I'll also suggest you stop drinking.

And your routine is garbage.
    Last edited by VikingWarlord; 09-05-2010 at 07:13 AM.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Wannabebig Member
    wow dude wtf is up your ass? i will definetly try to cut down on the drinking but do you mind explaining why exactly you think my routine is garbage? ive made real decent gains in 8 months ive put on around 25-30 pounds of lean mass. and its pretty obnoxious when some random guy on the internet tries to tell me that i dont know my own macro breakdown. i dont fix most of my own meals but my college just so happens to have pretty extensive nutrition information on every single item served on campus so im pretty damn close.
    Stats

Months lifting - 13

Banned
    first, if you're trying to lose fat, clearly the 30lbs you put on isnt entirely lean mass, so lets not delude ourselves. second, any routine that includes neck and forearm work is probably crappy. i can understand forearm work if you bench BIG and need the stability.. but neck? plz

anyways though, if your macros are on target, I would take like 50-75g of carbs off of what you already consume and/or add in a consistent measure of daily cardio. roll with that for a week or two and see what happens. if you are seeing results, keep it up.. if not, drop carbs more. i wouldnt go lower than 12-13% dietary fat, just keep the satty fat as close to zero as possible. this should be obvious though. basically, keep protein up around 200-220 as best as possible with carbs being your dietary "plug" as you scale cals downward

Wannabebig Member
    well yea so lets say ive put on 25 good pounds... after all i still can see my abs a bit at my current weight. well i dont really see the harm in working my forearms if i have time and by neck i meant traps so watever... i know you work YOUR traps. i will definetly try your carb plan. i have recently begun adding a couple days a week of cardio so i guess we'll see.
    Stats

Months lifting - 13

wow dude wtf is up your ass? i will definetly try to cut down on the drinking but do you mind explaining why exactly you think my routine is garbage? ive made real decent gains in 8 months ive put on around 25-30 pounds of lean mass. and its pretty obnoxious when some random guy on the internet tries to tell me that i dont know my own macro breakdown. i dont fix most of my own meals but my college just so happens to have pretty extensive nutrition information on every single item served on campus so im pretty damn close.
    Are the people that serve your food weighing and measuring everything with any degree of precision? Are you?

Nutrition information is all well and good but, if you're told something has 200kCal per 3oz, you need to know how many of those serving sizes you're actually eating. It's well documented that, in general, people lack the ability to come anywhere even close to correctly estimating their intake. Can you say with 100% certainty that you can identify exactly what you're eating without measuring it? Test yourself and I bet you'll be surprised.

On the other hand, if your food is pre-packaged in individual servings, it's not worth eating in the first place. You really can't win either way.

Also, your routine is garbage because you're doing the whole "once a week" thing for each muscle group so it's an inefficient use of time. Seriously, a day just for biceps and forearms? You know that pressing movements are going to be the best for developing triceps and upper body pulling movements are going to hit your biceps, right? You also know that an entire day for "core and abs" isn't necessary since heavy squats and deadlifts are going to hit your core harder than any direct work you can do, don't you? As an additional bonus, deadlifts come with trap work free of charge!

You also didn't put on 25-30 lbs of lean mass in 8 months. Newbie gains are pretty cool, but they're not that great. You would have put on significant fat. You might not notice because that fat gain could have been proportional to your body composition before you started, putting you at the same bodyfat level. That's not quite the same thing.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

The poster above is rather accurate. But since Im here to be constructive and I just started college too, let me help you out a bit. Your fat should be atleast 20% of your diet so things function right. 50% carbs is obviously too much as you gained fat and are now looking to lose fat. Cut out the bad choices like you said, as well as the amount. Like someone about said, 50-75g will probably work fine. Once that stops working, cut them more only on your rest days.

Also, keep this experience in mind when you decide to mass again. Mass on lower than 50% carbs and have more protein/fat. You can probably run the cals a bit higher this way too.

And I know its college and the drinking is there. Im not going to tell you not to do it; I have 3 bottles in the fridge myself. Just try to limit it. I pregame a bit before hand then mix some liquor and with diet soda and bring that with me. Its the least harmful thing you could have next to not drinking at all. Im actually allergic to beer, so this is really my only option besides the jungle juice, and I dont feel like taking in 1000cal in carbs every time and having to deal with everclear. Having a lot of beer/jungle juice is going to make it hard for the fat to come off for most people, especially if its 2-3 nights a week like most people. Moderation if you can.

Good luck and have fun.
    My Log: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132038

"Train to be a mother****er" -Jim Wendler

Last edited by r2473; 01-21-2011 at 11:08 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    lol at above post. Im sure my next 7 months will NOT go like the first 7 because my newbie gains have slowed to a pretty standard crawl in the past 2 months. And i will eventually get some pics up i just have to get a camera that isnt on my flipfone which will give some ****ty pics. hopkins i appreciate the input. Yea the college drinking scene is going to be tough to juggle with lifting... Im gonna keep my drinking to 1-2 times a week, only weekends and hope that limits it enough.... maybe i should start drinking "the situation's" protein infused vodka....
    Stats

Months lifting - 13

Last edited by r2473; 01-21-2011 at 11:07 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    if you care to read the thread you'll see that i revised that so that its more like 25 pounds put on with about around 5 pounds of fat maybe a bit more.
    Stats

Months lifting - 13

When people put on weight, a lot of what they put on is fluid weight and waste products. I mean, it is not as night and day as saying it was fat or muscle.

At any rate, if you're wanting to cut some fat, the easiest way is to replace your starchy carbs like pasta, potatoes, and other things, and replace them with veggies like green beans. Don't go crazy. Just do it for most of your meals. You could also look into carb cycling and high/low/medum days depending on training.

Toss in some interval cardio and barbell complexes.

Done.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Last edited by r2473; 01-21-2011 at 11:07 AM.