The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

View Poll Results: what are your maintenance calories?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1000-1999

5 8.33%
  • 2000-2999

24 40.00%
  • 3000-3999

22 36.67%
  • 4000-4999

8 13.33%
  • 5000-5999

0 0%
  • 6000-6999

0 0%
  • 7000-7999

0 0%
  • 8000+

1 1.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Maintenance Calories... what are yours?

Simple question.. I'm just curious to what everone's maintenance calories are here.

If you could add in you height and weight that would be great...

My maintenance calories right now are 3000-3300.. I'm 275lbs @ 6'..

Your turn!
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    I have never looked into that....usually I take 3 g of carbs per pound bw and 1 g of protein....when on cutting just cut 15% carbs from my diet and makes adjustments what the mirror and pics tell....

My maintenance calories are around 3300. I'm 5'-10"ish and 230 lbs.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Clean Bulk in Progress james_w8lifter's Avatar
    Unfortunately it seems mine are around 3800-4000. I feel like I'm eating all damn day just to maintain, much less bulk. I'm at 6'1", 211lbs...
    6' 1.... 211lbs.
    Bench: 275lbs x 1
    Deadlift: 385lbs x 1
    Squat: ??? (not enough)
    Goal by the end of May 2010... Weigh 225lbs.

Journal: The Obligation... Become a F***** Beast

During the off season mine are around 4500-5000 at 5'10" and weighing 210-215lbs.

If you are reading this thread make sure you don't just start eating the calories listed because someone is the same height and weight as you. Maintenance calories are very indivdual based on ones Metabolic rate.

Sully, I'm surprised your maintenance cals are so low.

Mine are about 3,100 but I'm only about 210-212lbs at 5'9.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

6'1" 285 lbs.

I'm probably in the mid-4000's for maintenance at least. I'm a bit surprised JSully can maintain on that little, but I guess it just demonstrates how metabolic rate can differ even if people are around the same size.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    If you are reading this thread make sure you don't just start eating the calories listed because someone is the same height and weight as you. Maintenance calories are very indivdual based on ones Metabolic rate.
    I completely agree.. I was just curious as to what some of the others' maintenance levels were here..

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Sully, I'm surprised your maintenance cals are so low.
    Yeah dude.. and that's after years of building LBM up.. I've always been that fat kid that overeats.. problem is, I'm that fat kid because I don't have to eat very much to overeat. When I first got into the game I think my maintenance was in the low 2000s.. Meh, at least I can eat a decent amount now before blowing up, but when I want to really cut weight and drop down to 2200-2500 cals I get hungry super fast!! It's a shame my hunger isn't as slow as my metabo.. lulz
    Last edited by JSully; 02-18-2010 at 03:36 PM.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

4300 calories. This is a great thread. It should really get some people thinking about what they actually put into their bodies. Unfortunately, I find people often only track their cals for a day or two and get tired of it. The only way to really know is to keep track for at least a few weeks. I also love to hear people say I eat 7000 calories a day. Sure maybe someone might eat that much in a day, but it's highly doubtful they eat 7000 calories everyday. When I bulk I go 6000 and it feels like I never leave the kitchen table.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 02-18-2010 at 04:05 PM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

3900-4000. Im 6'2 and 223lbs.

I am 5'11 @ 200lbs and need at least 3000 during the winter months and 3500-3800 during the summer months to maintain my weight.

Do you guys make up your meal plans ahead of time or do you just track the calories/protein content as the day progresses?

For a couple weeks I would count the calories as the day progressed, didn't work, by 10pm I was usually like crap, I have 400+ more calories to squeeze in and 50g+ protein... yeah, I don't plan well

I read in a book that you just take your BW x 10 and that will give you your maintenance calories -- I'm sure that's not correct cause that would mean I only need 2400 calories (I'm guessing you add to that if you're going to be expending calories through weightlifting???)

I have the metabolism of a snail and am currently at around 2,100/day. Just over a year ago before I started weightlifting I was at 1,800 so the good news if I've increased my metabolism but it feels like I barely eat to hit 2,100.

About 3200ish

6'2 216

3x gym, and 2x cardio

LuNa
    3000 calories but that was when i was lot more acive. Im 6' and 220 lbs.

My metabolism is so friggin slow I reckon that they could use me as soem type of freak experiment lol.

I am averaging 2,000 calories a day and am pretty active (3-5 hours cardio, 2-3 hours weights) and I am pretty close to maintaining now! Current weight = 183ish @ 17% BF.
    Last edited by Joe Black; 02-19-2010 at 03:47 AM.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

4500 296lbs 6'6" leanish.

That's to maintain and that's dropped massively in the last 10yrs - I'd be taking more than that in to maintain a weight of 240lbs.

Any of the more experienced guys on here notice things slowing down once you're in your thirties and older?

Wannabebig Member
    I'm 5'10 210lbs and my maintenance is a shade over 4,000
    Raw 220/105kg lifter
    Best comp lifts:
    252.5kg/170kg/320kg
    120SN/140CJ

Best gym lifts
    257/175//320
    120SN/146CJ

Quote Originally Posted by fpr View Post
    Do you guys make up your meal plans ahead of time or do you just track the calories/protein content as the day progresses?

For a couple weeks I would count the calories as the day progressed, didn't work, by 10pm I was usually like crap, I have 400+ more calories to squeeze in and 50g+ protein... yeah, I don't plan well
    I used to make up my meal plan ahead of time but don't too often anymore. I know that I'll have either a shake with olive oil or eggs for breakfast.. cheese and pepperoni for a snack and a choice of a few things for lunch.. typically I'll eat my breakfast, snacks, lunch then put my calories in to see where I'm at for dinner and what kind of macros I need. Then I'll form my dinner around that.. sometimes I'll still plan out my whole day, like on carbups so I know exactly how many macros and what not, that way I can have junkfood with it still fitting perfectly..

I read in a book that you just take your BW x 10 and that will give you your maintenance calories -- I'm sure that's not correct cause that would mean I only need 2400 calories (I'm guessing you add to that if you're going to be expending calories through weightlifting???)
    no, there is no baseline multiplier to find maintenance. I suppose you could use said multiplier and eat at that for a week and if you've lost weight, you would add calories to maintain and if you've gained weight you would decrease calories to maintain.. When figuring in my maintenance calories, typically I do it on a deload week that way I have a very little expenditure and can add a couple hundred calories once I start training and doing cardio again..

Quote Originally Posted by teeroy View Post
    I have the metabolism of a snail and am currently at around 2,100/day. Just over a year ago before I started weightlifting I was at 1,800 so the good news if I've increased my metabolism but it feels like I barely eat to hit 2,100.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    My metabolism is so friggin slow I reckon that they could use me as soem type of freak experiment lol.

I am averaging 2,000 calories a day and am pretty active (3-5 hours cardio, 2-3 hours weights) and I am pretty close to maintaining now! Current weight = 183ish @ 17% BF.
    I know this all too well as I used to be the same, which is why my maintenance is only 3000/day at 275lbs.. just gain about 40lbs of LBM ad you'll increase your metabo so you aren't starving all day, lol..
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

That book was way wrong. 10xBW would not be nearly enough, especially for a hard training, active individual.

Really, you just need to go on fitday.com or thedailyplate.com and input everything you eat for a good 2 weeks. See how much weight you gain or lose and adjust from there (make sure to weigh yourself at the same time each time you do it). After that you should be able to figure out where your maintenance is and what types of foods will put you over the edge calorie-wise. Since I generally eat almost the same things each day it's easy for me to know when I'm getting more or less calories than my maintenance over the course of a day. I also weigh myself every time I am at the gym (4 times a week) so I can always tell if I'm losing or gaining.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Sounds like the bwx10 was the basal rate as per the Harris Benedict Equation, as i've always heard bwx10 then the activity modifier on top of that.

As useless as this statement probably is, Everyone i've ever known tends to float around bwx15 (provided they lift weights and go the gym 3-5 times a week)

but ymmv.

5' 11" 215 3200 maintenance.

I have gotten to 195lbs cutting on 2750 before.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
    5' 11" 215 3200 maintenance.

I have gotten to 195lbs cutting on 2750 before.
    I'm right around here too today. Currently bulking just under 4k.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Im on a cut right now and im eaitng like 2300 calories a day (i subtracted portion size never actually counted calories)...and im not actually dropping weight on the scale. I think i am very slowly losing body fat while very slowly getting muscle though...which is great. im 5.11 242 :O