The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Football supplements and lifts..

hey guys ima 6'4 219lb DE for my high school football team...im trying to pack on solid weight while maintaining my speed..do yall have any ideas on lifts to do or supplements to take that are legal? any advice is appreciated.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Yup.

Lean meats are a great supplement

Lifts?

Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Clean.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Wannabebig Member
    Milk, Fish, Buffalo, Elk, Beef...

Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    Yup.

Lean meats are a great supplement

Lifts?

Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Clean.
    great answer

and sprints for speed

heavy and explosive platform snatch grip deadlift..its a killer bang for the buck movement

great for knocking OT on their asses
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132442

http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...wner=rleopando

Squat - 375
    Bench - 265
    Deadlift - 425

Goal: BW/OH squat 185 LBS x 15 by summer 2010

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pandospace View Post
    heavy and explosive platform snatch grip deadlift..its a killer bang for the buck movement

great for knocking OT on their asses
    i disagree. Deadlifting will make you stronger on the field but i doubt it would have any direct corellation to putting o linemen on their asses.

As a football player you have to find a good balance between explosiveness, strength, agility, and cardio. Some things people tend to oversee are some very important lifts. I too play d line and have worked with trainers from football, track and powerlifting all who gave me similar advice.
    "Benching wont make you any better at football, just benching" (my trainer says)

Focus on lifts that are directly related to what you DO. As a D end, we are taught to explode off the ball, shoot our hands and drive our feet.
    some lifts that can simulate these motions are power/hang cleans, bench press (i focus on close grip and incline mostly, incline to simulate the being low coming off the ball striking angle and close grip to simulate striking an apponent violently in the pads where you should be aiming), jammer exlposions etc...

What i like to do is one week do a lift with lots of weight and low reps then the next week do similar lifts but with slightly less weight and more reps completely stopping between reps and exploding the weight up. This can be done with a pad on your chest for bench workouts, do box squats with exadurated rests etc.. The one thing that i learned from reseraching how to workout right is that everyone is different and lots of different plans work. No ONE is right. Find one that works for you and stick with it. Just remember to balance all those attributes when you lift and you'll be just fine.
    Good luck!
    height:6'1"
    weight:235
    bench:375
    squat:530
    deadlift:605
    -------------------------------------------------

Wannabebig Member
    As for the supliments, don't worry about them. If you want i would take 100% whey protein powder and thats about it. As a teenager our bodies build muscle fast anyways. I dont even use the stuff much any more. Being a poor college kid sucks haha. As long as your eating lots of good lean meats and foods that are naturally high in protein you should be fine.I would strongly discourage you from taking creatine also, I tried it and it just made me feel bloated and gain waterweight. Not a good feeling and too much trouble for what its worth.

Another tip one of my trainers gave me that you might be able to use, try eating chocolate. I havn't looked into it a hole lot but i've been doing it for a while and it seems to be working. Apparently consuming a small dosage of simple sugars after or even durring a workout will have the same effect as if taking protein suppliments to an extent. I'm not talking about eating a snickers after every lifting session but an easter egg chocolate size candy could do the trick. At least thats what my trainer does and he's big as s***.
    Good luck!
    height:6'1"
    weight:235
    bench:375
    squat:530
    deadlift:605
    -------------------------------------------------

Joe Defranco's WS4SB, and a great diet are all you need for football for now.

Wannabebig Member
    Squats,Bench,Lunges,Calf raises, Triceps to get your bench higher too.
    get that pre-workout supplement
    Drink mad water and eat alot of fruit
    A couple shakes of whey protein a day and creatine if you want.

Drink mad water?

Man this is an old thread lol.

A quality training program that increases your strength and includes some light speed training will be the best bet

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym