Thread: Grip fails first w/ Chinups

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

Grip fails first w/ Chinups

I've been working with the assisted chinup machine to supplement my unassisted chinups (because I can't do many of them), and my forearms give out before my lats/arms seem to. Should I just keep performing the chinups and hope that my forearms get stronger or is there something I am possibly doing wrong? I do full body workouts M-W-F and today I did Squats, DB Overhead Presses, and ended with the Chinups. Should I maybe try doing Chinups first or at least before the DB Presses?
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 02-22-2010 at 03:13 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

If you can even do 3 unassisted chins, thats probably enough. Just get the necessary volume through extra sets, and this number will go up quickly.

Grip strength also improves very quickly. I hope you're deadlifting.

I can get regularly get in 5 unassisted full-range chins (it seems impossible to make gains on though haha) and then I supplement with a couple extra assisted chin sets.

Yeah I am deadlifting haha, that is my favorite lift actually. Although I'm having some problems there too with grip strength. I did 275 x 2 the other week, could've managed another rep or two if the bar wasn't slipping out of my hands, but I think that had to do with my hands being bloody and causing slipperiness lol.

I'll keep at it then, thanks.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    I can get regularly get in 5 unassisted full-range chins (it seems impossible to make gains on though haha) and then I supplement with a couple extra assisted chin sets.

Yeah I am deadlifting haha, that is my favorite lift actually. Although I'm having some problems there too with grip strength. I did 275 x 2 the other week, could've managed another rep or two if the bar wasn't slipping out of my hands, but I think that had to do with my hands being bloody and causing slipperiness lol.

I'll keep at it then, thanks.
    Using chalk with deadlifts makes a huge difference. Keeps the bar from slipping as much. But you shouldn't be having that much blood that you can't hold on to the bar during your working sets.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

The other thing you can do is occasionally start with your chins instead of waiting until the end to do them. This will help your grip to be less exhausted.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

ummm... what? blood is normal? Also how much do you weigh? I can deadlift 275 for a few reps like you, my grip is my weak point... but i can do 15+ chin ups. I weigh 160

bloody shins is normal if not encouraged (), but bloody palms is a rarity...your hands must be dry as hell
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Thanks for the responses guys.

Skalami - I believe I weigh around 150-155ish. I used to be able to do around 10ish chins, that was the max it's ever been at lol. Actually I even starting weighting my first work set. Perhaps my lower body is more developed than my upper body? And vice versa for you? I've always been crappy/mediocre with upper body lifts.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 02-23-2010 at 10:19 AM.
    Lifting Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/training/b...a-bigger-back/

Read this. A very good article and it has helped me out alot already.
    "When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent." T. Platz

this might go against what some people believe but i use wrist straps for my heavy deadlifts. im 5'7 180-185.
    i can d/l 300 then my grip fails on 5x5 or w/e but if i use straps for my heavy sets i can easily get 350 or so.

now im not saying depend on straps. but if your grip is causing you not to be able to do the weight that you can then use straps on heavy weights, but still train your grip with other workouts

I posted the following advice to someone recently who was working on pull-ups - I think it's pretty sound:

I think there's wisdom in setting a reasonable weekly volume total and trying to hit that every week, then backing off every 3rd or 4th week, then starting over again w. a slightly higher volume total. Pull-ups have always been a volume game for me, and I'll always take a less painful alternative when there is one. I know if I psych myself up and go, I could get 18-20 reps, but that will leave me drained for days - I'd rather do 3setsx7reps and be able to come back a few days later for more. Yes, there is the intensity factor, but that doesn't need to be addressed every session.

If you are trying to improve your pull-ups, and you can do 5 solid reps now, estabishing a reasonable weekly volume total might be, for example 20 reps and building from there (2-4 reps/set). You may want to modify volume as you see fit (if you've already been doing a lot more than this for example):
    Week 1: 24 reps total
    Week 2: 24 reps total
    Week 3: 24 reps total
    Week 4: back off week (reduced repetitions)
    Week 5: 28 reps total
    Week 6: 28 reps total
    Week 7: 28 reps total
    Week 8: back off week and test
    Week 9: 32 reps total
    etc...
    Last edited by Sensei; 02-23-2010 at 12:01 PM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Hey thanks guys. I read that article, as well as the volume thing (which was also mentioned in the article). I'm going to start doing that!
    Lifting Journal

Chalk helps significantly.

I can't say that I have the same grip problems as you (I can normally bang out 4 sets of tough assisted fine) but chalk definately increases the amount of time before you feel grip becomes a hinderance. Well worth investing in some, I bet it will help you..
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Yeah you're right. Everyone keeps telling me to get some, and I just keep forgetting. K, ordering now lol.
    Lifting Journal

Thai Boxing Bodybuilder The Gasman UK's Avatar
    Used the 'Jay Cutler' Grip. E.g. use you hands as hooks with thumbs over not curled round.

Hang loose before you lift, and tense your lats and back, feel the muscle. Stretch out. Visualise your lats and back contracting. Look straight up don't swing your legs and concentrate on perfect form. You'll be pulling your own bodyweight many times over and you won't fatigue your bi's and forearms as much as the focus will be on your back.
    The Gasmans' journey to the single digits - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131623