Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Progress Pics, Who Takes Them?

Progress Pics, Who Takes Them?

Seems like one of the easiest ways to track your progress right?

For me personally I forget all the time, or I just end up not taking the necessary time to have my wife hold the camera.

So how many of you guys actually take regular progress pics?

Those of you who do not, how do you keep track of your progress?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I track progress by logging my body weight and my big 4 barbell numbers (Squat, Bench, Overhead Press, and Dead lift).

I also gauge my progress by my ability (read: inability) to fit in to clothes. Much of my old clothing which used to fit well is uncomfortably tight now.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

I don't take progress pics, I just look at my numbers. I am no so concerned with aesthetics as I am just getting stronger.

I would like to start taking vids of lifts, though.
    Last edited by tnathletics2b; 02-22-2010 at 12:24 PM.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

I take them from time to time. I am more concerned with strength though so I normally just focus on my numbers.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Progress pics are very important for those training for cosmetics, but not soo much for people who just train to get stronger or to improve in athletics.

I've got progress pics from 4 years ago and a picture is worth a thousand words, especially in bodybuilding.

I took some pics that are in my journal, I plan on taking pics again once I've lost 100 pounds from the weight I was at, I think it was around 370 in the pic. I didn't take pics when I was 460's but I sure wish I would have. I may take some half way pics, but I really don't make it a priority to stop and take them. I do think they're awesome though, seeing a transformation like that. Motivational.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

I think progress pics are pretty cool...especially when people have some great gains or losses. I haven't taken any though...I guess I'm more concerned with adding weight to the bar than what I look like. Another reason I work out in hoodies instead of sleeveless shirts like everyone else.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

i try when i remember, its not hard just pop the camera on the ledge (same ledge same lighting everytime) set the auto timer and take a pic. It usually dawns on me to do this about once a month.. kind of a cool log ive had for the past year.

Its helpful while bulking, fat comes on so gradually it just feels like youre not gaining... take a pic of yourself and compare to the one right before the bulk and you'll notice some differences... well i did anyways.

But yeah i think recording body weight and the four major lifts every few weeks or month or so is a better idea. Its not a good idea to get too caught up in appearances.
    Last edited by Skalami; 02-23-2010 at 08:01 AM.

So would the majority of you not really consider yourselves bodybuilders?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I don't take progress pics. In fact, I bet there aren't but maybe 3 or 4 pictures of me with my shirt off past the age of 12.
    But, I'm not a bodybuilder, so it's just not a priority for me. I, like many of the others, judge my progress by my lifts and the scale/mirror.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I don't take progress pics. In fact, I bet there aren't but maybe 3 or 4 pictures of me with my shirt off past the age of 12.
    But, I'm not a bodybuilder, so it's just not a priority for me. I, like many of the others, judge my progress by my lifts and the scale/mirror.
    I take progress pics. It's great to know that I look a ton better AND seeing my lifts/weight go up. I don't see why there has to be a cut off. Isn't that what Westside style powerlifters do GPP work for? To increase work capacity and stay in shape?

My primary goals are to gain strength and mass, but looking good isn't a bad thing in my eyes
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    This forum does seem to be more powerlifting oriented than a typical bodybuilding forum. It's like most of us on this 'bodybuilding' section are just the powerlifters who haven't gotten to the big numbers yet...and we're not quite ready for the powerlifting section of wbb. At least...that's what it seems like to me.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    This forum does seem to be more powerlifting oriented than a typical bodybuilding forum. It's like most of us on this 'bodybuilding' section are just the powerlifters who haven't gotten to the big numbers yet...and we're not quite ready for the powerlifting section of wbb. At least...that's what it seems like to me.
    Interesting point. I'm a firm believer that everybody starts the same way, basic lifting. After a couple of years it will become apparent if you are suited for power lifting or bodybuilding. Then you can focus on those goals. I'm not sure that we are all power lifters in waiting, I think we are a bunch of guys/gals using the most appropriate means of progression. Some will eventually head down the bodybuilding path while others will keep progressing in their 3 main lifts. Still others will just remain a hybrid between the two...garage gorillas if you will.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    I sure don't and never really wanted to be. I don't care to worry about my diet so much and worrying about symmetry and all the bodybuilding stuff. I just like to eat a lot, lift big, and enjoy the benefits

I'm not sure if is what I am going for there, but I like the little guy.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

garage gorillas if you will.
    Okay, I don't care what I am... I like that title...

Please refer to me as a Garage Guerilla from now on... Yeah, guerrila... I'm at war with the iron [Not to be considered at all the same as real war, for those of you who actually put your lives on the line for your countries]
    Last edited by KoSh; 02-23-2010 at 10:05 AM.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

OK, well I'm relatively new here, but I'm going to go against the grain and admit that I'm all about the cosmetic side of it. That's why I'm here. If I could get nice and big benching only 135, that'd suit me just fine.

As you can see from my signature, I'm a LONG way from anything that would resemble the image that "bodybuilder" conjures up to the average person. But... Since I'm doing this to look better (not really for the numbers) then perhaps I'm a bodybuilder. I do wish I'd taken a couple of photos back in December, because I do already look at bit different. Nine pounds is (18) 6-oz steaks. That's a lot of meat. Tonight: Pictures, period.

And yeah: Garage Gorilla suits me just fine.
    Last edited by Bosch232; 02-23-2010 at 11:59 AM.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

Interesting point. I'm a firm believer that everybody starts the same way, basic lifting. After a couple of years it will become apparent if you are suited for power lifting or bodybuilding. Then you can focus on those goals. I'm not sure that we are all power lifters in waiting, I think we are a bunch of guys/gals using the most appropriate means of progression. Some will eventually head down the bodybuilding path while others will keep progressing in their 3 main lifts. Still others will just remain a hybrid between the two...garage gorillas if you will.
    I agree with this... I started in bodybuilding and always had a great strength carryover. For years people told me to get into powerlifting as my build is perfect for it (large bone structure, heavy weight, etc).. After about 5 years I finally embraced my fatness and decided to get as strong as I can.. Now I'm in it for PLing and SM, however, I do still want to do a BB show someday, but that day is way farther than away than it used to be..

I take progress pics when I cut weight.. I've been recomping for about 7 weeks now so I really need to take a "before" pic so that in 3 more months I can see what the difference was..
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Interesting point. I'm a firm believer that everybody starts the same way, basic lifting......
    Thats pretty much the way i'm doing it - sticking with basic compound lifts until 3 heavy lifts a day becomes too much, Then after that I'll have no choice to split it up and may start throwing in isolation and appearence based stuff in

I take them probably twice a year, or if I happen to gain a large amount (10+ lb) under the half-year limit i'll take some... I consider my self more of a powerbuilder like HB and many others are. I am interested in getting stronger, and getting larger while keeping down the BF. If I had to choose though I would be BB. I love looking back at my first pic I took when I started lifting at like 150 lb.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

I take pics every few months.

As far as the BB vs PL discussion, I don't think I'm really either, but I guess I'm leaning more towards the BB side.

I definitely started lifitng for cosmetic purposes, but after joining this site and making some great gains in the gym I started becoming more obsessed with how much I could lift on the big 3. I don't have an interest in ever using equipment for my lifts though. Also I still like to stay pretty lean most of the year. Although I do now understand the importance of bulking (I spent years spinning my wheels trying to diet to get lean and not understanding why my lifts weren't going up). I think ultimately one day I'd like to be a lean (~12% BF) 250 lbs. I'm sure by that point I'd have also reached all the raw PR goals I have on the big 3 lifts. It will definitely take a few years to get there though.
    Stefan
    Height: 6'4 - Weight: 235 lbs - Age: 31
    DL: 530 x 1
    Squat: 355 x 1
    Bench: 350 x 1

I take one about once every 6 months. I dont consider myself a bodybuilder, there's just things that you dont notice looking in the mirror.

I never did before but after recently losing a ton of weight due to injury and getting a camera in the same process, I'll be tracking my re-bulk. Set up a home gym so I'll have videos of my form from now until the weights get heavy again and pics of when I get heavy again. Going to take progress pics once a month on the 26th(date I got around to taking first set).

Hopefully once I have bulked back up, I can put together a montage type thing like some of the guys on here. Those always seem motivational when you see a guy bulk up like crazy.

And no, I don't really consider myself a bodybuilder, just want to get big and strong and stay relatively lean(for now).
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

I've been taking progress pic about every 10lbs for the last 2 years. It seem to help me stay motivated seeing my progress.

Quote Originally Posted by given'er View Post
    I've been taking progress pic about every 10lbs for the last 2 years. It seem to help me stay motivated seeing my progress.
    This is pretty much what I do as well. I definitely lift to get stronger but also to look better as well, and taking pics and seeing progress helps to keep me motivated.

When I was bulking early on I was taking progress pics every couple months, but now that I've been around the same weight and concentrating on strength for the past 4-5 years, I haven't bothered so much and have concentrated on just tracking my PR's. I have a spreadsheet tracking my numbers and progress on many of my lifts since I started tracking a few years ago.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle