Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: carbs or fat?

Wannabebig New Member
    Advocates of very low carbohydrate diets advise people to consume kilojoules mainly from protein and fat sources. This means limiting cereals, some vegetables and fruit, while eating more meat, dairy foods and fat. Typical foods eaten on a low carbohydrate diet include beef, chicken, bacon, fish, eggs and non-starchy vegetables, as well as fats such as oils, butter and mayonnaise. Forbidden foods include fruit, bread, grains, starchy vegetables and dairy products other than cheese, cream or butter.

So do you low carbers limit your fat intake, or is it pretty much anything goes?

I've been doing a low carb paleolithic style diet with dairy, and it seems to be working. I lost a couple inches off my gut, and Im not losing weight on the scale too quickly. Eating wise, it keeps me satisfied. I'm getting in all my calories and all I'm mainly eating is red meat, cheese, and veggies.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan View Post
    So do you low carbers limit your fat intake, or is it pretty much anything goes?

I've been doing a low carb paleolithic style diet with dairy, and it seems to be working. I lost a couple inches off my gut, and Im not losing weight on the scale too quickly. Eating wise, it keeps me satisfied. I'm getting in all my calories and all I'm mainly eating is red meat, cheese, and veggies.
    I cycle carbs, on my low carb days I don't worry about fats at all. On the moderate or high carb days I pay much more attention to fat. I think it is all about balance. It is hard to do low carb and low fat at the same time and eat anything decent (I can only stand so much chicken breasts and tuna).
    "The deadlift is more functional in that itís very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

higher fat diets definately lean more towards strength gains...the muscle fiber type activated during HEAVY work predominately uses fat as a fuel source. Not to mention from what I've read and discussed that diets higher in fats tend to lead to a greater production in recovery and growth in these muscle fiber types.
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

Ultimately, fat and carbs are both just sources of energy and ATP. I think the biggest thing to remember about fat and carbs is it isin't one or the other, and it isin't an all or nothing type deal. I think the most important thing to keep in mind when referring to energy sources is meal timing. If timed correctly, the body is going to use carbs/fat and not store them, so regardless of body type and carb sensitivity, anyone who works out will benefit from eating carbs/fat if done so with proper timing. Obviously people who smell a donut and gain weight have to be much more careful, but that comes with trial and error and personal experience for what works best for each one of us. I personally respond great off a high carb diet, something in the 40p/40c/20f %'s range.
    Scars are tatoos with better stories.