Thread: milk bad?

milk bad?

went to a seminar last night and was told tha milk was bad and clogs up the liver...ecspecially homogenized milk. i have heard before that "raw" milk is better for you. as someone that has always consumed lots of milk I am interested in thoughts on this....and if milk really is to be avoided, what could be used as a substitute?

I'd like to see the information on which that is based. The liver is very resilient and isn't going to get "clogged" (wtf ever that means) just because you're drinking milk unless you have some other serious issue happening.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post
    I'd like to see the information on which that is based. The liver is very resilient and isn't going to get "clogged" (wtf ever that means) just because you're drinking milk unless you have some other serious issue happening.

^ Directed at leader of seminar.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Milk is magic

/thread.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Quote Originally Posted by BCorn View Post
    went to a seminar last night and was told tha milk was bad and clogs up the liver...ecspecially homogenized milk. i have heard before that "raw" milk is better for you. as someone that has always consumed lots of milk I am interested in thoughts on this....and if milk really is to be avoided, what could be used as a substitute?
    There are a lot of different opinions out there on milk.

What state do you live in? Each state has different regulations with regard to raw milk.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Milk's great for getting some extra protein and fat into your diet if you're trying to gain weight...however I'm unaware of it's liver clogging capabilities but I'm willing to bet that they're pretty unwarranted otherwise we would have heard of this before and no one would drink milk
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 175

B: 255x1 DL: 375x1 SQ: work in progress

Goals: B-275 D-400 S-275 Weight- 180

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Milk makes me severely allergic to all metals. To the point where the skin near my belt buckle is peeling off and looks horrible. This is my first milk free winter in a long time and the first since I've moved to Toronto (3 yrs) that I didn't get sick once.

I think milk when processed and cared for correctly can be extremely nutritious.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

This has been debated to death. The verdict is still out. It is a fact that some people cannot handle milk; they are allergic to it or become allergic to it especially in excess. Also, the excess calcium and mucous in the diet can increase the rate of arthritic crystal formation. Most people, however, do fine with it. I was allergic to milk when I was younger, caused a few problems but nothing serious. I began drinking almond/rice milk which is actually really tasty, however devoid of the fat and protein of regular milk. My allergies have gone away since and I drink milk and cream on a daily basis, don't know what I would do without it. One of my professors had debilitating arthritis in his spine and almost had surgery until he cleaned up his diet a little; the most major change being he cut out all dairy which was a big one for him. He claims that that cured his back pain permanently, so who knows. Everyones different.

Wannabebig New Member
    The inside of our skeleton looks like honeycomb, with blood vessels and bone. Milk is one of the best natural sources marrow in the spaces between bone. With of calcium. Three portions of milk and age, the spaces become bigger, making bone dairy foods a day (3-A-Day) will give you all fragile and liable to break easily. One in two women the calcium you need. In the UK will suffer a fracture after the age of 50. However, osteoporosis is not just a female problem. Men also need to look after their bones. One in five men in the UK will suffer a fracture after the age of 50.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    Guys listen, Cow Milk is definitely for idiots. Everyone knows it clogs up the liver and corrodes the small intestine, plus, pasteurization is a republican plot to cover up global warming and the dangers of genetically modified crops. Right now I'm on a huge kick of the most nutritious most natural, most greenhouse friendly, milk possible.

Human Breastmilk!!!

Right now my mother, girlfriend, and sister have been tapped, however, I've resorted to harvesting other women around the neighborhood. Sure, it is awkward when a woman wakes up in the middle of the night to see you using a breast pump on them, masturbating, while listening to your Rush mix tape on your ipod. However, whats even worse is when the 'victim' is all like, "I'm not a woman you idiot," or the whole "Aren't you the guy who stares at me while I eat," but its about as awkward as when 'dick in a box' backfires.

Breastmilk, scoop full of ATLARGE nutrition (can't ban me I've advertising ATLARGE) is good for a baby or a growing powerlifter and don't forget it. For the ladies, I'm not sure if it makes sense to drink your own breast milk, but it might be a good way to lose weight while not losing nutrition, because it takes energy to digest milk and pump it out of you.
    Last edited by nejar462; 03-26-2010 at 05:43 AM.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Mark Sisson, one of the "Paleo Diet" gurus out there is pretty neutral on the topic. He mentions nothing of liver damage, though. I certainyl don't believe there is any danger of liver damage from drinking milk and I've seen quite a bit of the evidence out there.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dairy-intolerance/
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nejar462 View Post
    Guys listen, Cow Milk is definitely for idiots. Everyone knows it clogs up the liver and corrodes the small intestine, plus, pasteurization is a republican plot to cover up global warming and the dangers of genetically modified crops. Right now I'm on a huge kick of the most nutritious most natural, most greenhouse friendly, milk possible.

Human Breastmilk!!!

Right now my mother, girlfriend, and sister have been tapped, however, I've resorted to harvesting other women around the neighborhood. Sure, it is awkward when a woman wakes up in the middle of the night to see you using a breast pump on them, masturbating, while listening to your Rush mix tape on your ipod. However, whats even worse is when the 'victim' is all like, "I'm not a woman you idiot," or the whole "Aren't you the guy who stares at me while I eat," but its about as awkward as when 'dick in a box' backfires.

Breastmilk, scoop full of ATLARGE nutrition (can't ban me I've advertising ATLARGE) is good for a baby or a growing powerlifter and don't forget it. For the ladies, I'm not sure if it makes sense to drink your own breast milk, but it might be a good way to lose weight while not losing nutrition, because it takes energy to digest milk and pump it out of you.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

that was fracking hilarious.. plus extra points for the detail

For the ladies, I'm not sure if it makes sense to drink your own breast milk, but it might be a good way to lose weight while not losing nutrition, because it takes energy to digest milk and pump it out of you.
    As an added benefit, it's pretty hot to watch them drink it right from the tap.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

I would totally suckle me some real breastmilk if the opportunity ever presented itself... It would, however, depend on the source. I can't imagine a better source of nutrients, and I have heard it can be pretty tasty. Actually, not a bad idea for a new line of supplements. And you could dry it out sell it in powder form, "MOTHERS MILK, the REAL muscle milk"... haha

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    For the ladies, I'm not sure if it makes sense to drink your own breast milk, but it might be a good way to lose weight while not losing nutrition, because it takes energy to digest milk and pump it out of you.
    Rolf
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.