Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: carbs or fat?

Hybrid View

carbs or fat?

i was tryiing to get a discussion started. what have you made the most progress as far as strenght gains and muscle gains, carbs or fat? we all know that protein helps repair and recover from muscle break down, now a lot of powerlifters and bodybuilders are incorporating more essential fats into to their diet, which type of diet do you follow and what have your results been?

i generally eat alot more fat in my diet and not so much carbs any more, (mostly just vegs for carbs)i have noticed i am getting stronger and staying leaner this off season. last year i also did things different on my diet, more fat less carbs and here again thru out the entire diet i retained almost all of my strenght and lost close to 17 lbs. SO WHAT DO YOU DO CARBS OR FAT??????
    height: 6' weight offseason 220lbs bodybuilding: 10 years
    2009 contests
    IFPA CAPE COD 3rd place heavy
    IFPA YORTON CUP 2nd place heavy
    NPC ElITE CLASSIC 1st heavy (overall Winner)

TRAINING LOG http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131702

ATLARGE NUTRITION- YOUR #1 CHOICE FOR BODYBUILDING SPORTS SUPPLEMENTS

As someone that's been overweight for most of my life, I find that I do a lot better all around on low carb diets. My insulin sensitivity is screwed up from so many years of being a fat kid and I have a really hard time functioning if I try to take in too much starch from any source.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

I agree.. low carbs, high fat.. I'm getting much better results and the weight is coming off much easier.. I just give myself a free day or a carbup once a week and it keeps me satisfied.. I've dropped close to 10lbs and my bench has gone up approx 20lbs..
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Wannabebig Member
    I agree I've gotten good gains with high fat although you still need a few Carbs to grow I usually take in 50 to 100 grams of complex carbs and eat peanuts, cheese, avocados, and olive oil with minimal far gain.

I myself get good gains off both, but overall I would have to say I gain more from a carb based diet. This past offseason my diet was at 5000 cal with a 30% protein, 55% carb, 15% fat ratio and gains were great and fairly lean but my fat intake even just at 15% with a 5000 cal diet was 100 grams per day.

Its definitley all individual but essential fats are a must in the off season. Even with most my clients on a carb based diet have 20% of their calories from fat.

Fat for me by far. I feel better physically and mentally on a high fat diet. I haven't tried putting any mass on lately, but I have gone from about 25% bf to 10% while maintaining almost all my mass and strength going keto 5 days a week.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Wannabebig Member
    WIth powerlifting/resistance training being mainly anaerobic, wouldn't it be more beneficial on a high carb diet? As in replentish the glyogen stores because that's what you're primarily using as fuel during training?

What is the benefit of fat? I thought you didn't start using it as fuel until prolonged low intensity training.

Quote Originally Posted by calhoun295 View Post
    WIth powerlifting/resistance training being mainly anaerobic, wouldn't it be more beneficial on a high carb diet? As in replentish the glyogen stores because that's what you're primarily using as fuel during training?

What is the benefit of fat? I thought you didn't start using it as fuel until prolonged low intensity training.
    The body can create glycogen out of fat, carbohydrate, or protein. Different people have different insulin sensitivity and too many carbs can really screw up the system if that's the case.

Wannabebig Member
    I myself believe that a higher fat lower carb diet works better for me. Heres why.

When I was lower carb, say 25% to 30%, I did well. Felt fine and dropped some fat and kept some mass. I decided to go into a mild bulk to gain some mass for winter and cut for spring, so I added carbs up to about 45% . I have gained weight but most of it has went to my fat stores. There is very little lean mass gained. Now when I cut, If I lose no muscle, im calculating I will end up with a net 5lb muscle gain out of a 15lb mild bulk gain. I noticed when I bumped cal up at the beginning by 200 cal, then another 200 cal a few weeks later, I did not gain weight or waist size, but, once I adjusted macros to ensure 40 to 45% carb while keeping cal at the same level, my waist blew up and weight gain started. I kept it up though over a 6 month time span and stabilized at a 15 lb weight gain but also a 4 inch increase in my waist . I can only assume that I may be a bit carb sensitive due to my excess fat weight from several years ago, so Im going lower carb in about a week. Just need to dial in a diet and macro setup that favors lower carb,

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post
    The body can create glycogen out of fat, carbohydrate, or protein. Different people have different insulin sensitivity and too many carbs can really screw up the system if that's the case.
    It can't make it out of fat unfortunately. It would first have to make glucose from the fat.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Quote Originally Posted by Holto View Post
    It can't make it out of fat unfortunately. It would first have to make glucose from the fat.
    Good call. I have no idea how that slipped through there. Should have been clearer. Should have also added that not very much of the fat can be converted.
    Last edited by VikingWarlord; 02-26-2010 at 09:11 PM.

I'm with Allen, I've done well off of both diets, however tend to do better on high carb diets.

I actually don't respond too well on low carb stuff. My body just get's super slow and when combined with the high fats, I just don't do well.

I've done mostly carb cycling and my body feels so much better

I think the key though is to try both and find what works for you best.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Banned
    I'm not advanced enough to make an informed statement, but it generally seems like I do better on a high carb diet. I think it is possibly due to the diet I grew up on and which my body got used to.

My mother is vegetarian and while she cooked some meat for the family our diet was typically high-carb, low-fat. We also ate huge amounts of home-made bread every week, and I was skinny as a rail through all of this. When I did more endurance sport my diet was very high carb as well so I think my body is quite well-adjusted to cope with carbohydrates.

Wannabebig Member
    I concur from my experience every body is different you have to experience for yourself what works best. From years of bulking and cutting I've foundfor myself I respond well to low to no carbs but if you leave out the fat you eat alot of muscle in the process. So gaining weight with minimal fat gain with high fat low carbs is best for me as I assimilate carbs well so its relatively easy for me to gain weight and alot of fat as well ( former fat kid ). Also for all the newbs out there don't read all these diets of pros and think you can eat 600 grams of carbs and get big like them, they know they're bodies well.

I find that I can still get stronger on relatively lower carbs and higher fat/high protein diets. I've been doing paleo+dairy for a while now and have gotten much leaner and continue to make progress on most of my lifts even though I'm a fairly advanced lifter. My weight has held steady, too, because I'm still eating maintenance calories.

When I was bulking and just trying to gain weight in general as a novice trainee I was eating very high carb (600+ grams per day) and was packing on the weight like crazy. I gained quite a bit of fat in the process, too, and I'm not sure how much of my strength gains at that time could be attributed to newbie gains or the diet and weight gain.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    On the topic of low carb diets, about how many carbs should I take in each day at minimum? I'm about 5'7" 150 lbs (I think my maintenance is around 2700-3000) and am sort of trying to maintain weight while adding strength and trying to remain clean with a low carb diet, but I'm not sure how low I should go. And how high of carbs is still considered "low" ?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    On the topic of low carb diets, about how many carbs should I take in each day at minimum? I'm about 5'7" 150 lbs (I think my maintenance is around 2700-3000) and am sort of trying to maintain weight while adding strength and trying to remain clean with a low carb diet, but I'm not sure how low I should go. And how high of carbs is still considered "low" ?
    According to Lyle McDonald, 50g of carbs is all that is essential for your body. I'll echo what everyone else said as an answer to your other question that it's going to be completely dependent on the person as far as what is considered high and what ranges are tolerable.

I, personally, have always done better with higher fat...throwing in 1-2 higher carb days during the week.
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Wannabebig New Member
    Carbohydrates play an important role in fat loss,i think.

I have noticed throughout the years I feel strongest and look leanest when I eat a good amount of quarker oats, so carbs for me.

BIG IRON FREAK
    ive lost weight doing ketosis and gotten stronger. Right now im just eating as much as i can, with a half ketosis approach on my non training/cardio days. Ill eat no carbs and do my cardio, it helps me keep lean and still keep getting stronger.

Do you guys limit your fat intake to a certain number of grams when going low carb, or is it unlimited like protein?

I tend to do better with carbs...As long as they're low GI carbs. Pop tarts, fruit juice, etc makes my belly grow too quickly. Most likely because they're so easy to eat.
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Old My 5-3-1 Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132576

Thai Boxing Bodybuilder The Gasman UK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AKMass View Post
    I tend to do better with carbs...As long as they're low GI carbs. Pop tarts, fruit juice, etc makes my belly grow too quickly. Most likely because they're so easy to eat.
    I agree with this!

Currently cutting and running about 250g protein, 120g carbs, 80g fats. Working very well, then Saturday I'll recarb and up the carbs, and drop the protein a little. Fats the same throughout. Working well.
    The Gasmans' journey to the single digits - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131623

I've been counting carbs, usually hitting around 80-120g/day. I have a question about counting them. Do I count net carbs or do I count total carbs when on a low carb diet?
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Wannabebig Member
    Definately high carbs for me. I followed a paleo type thing for a couple of years (loads of fats from nuts & oils) thinking i was doing good.

I switched to carb cycling and BOOM. My lbm and strength shot RIGHT up, and fast. I actually find i lean out from having super high carb days as well, every now and then, for some reason.