Thread: workout logs

workout logs

everytime i go to the gym i notice that im the only one who carries around a workout log and writes in my numbers. am i the only one who does this? how do you all keep track of your workouts?

I have a workout log too. I keep track of everything from my workouts. Reps, sets, weight, weather or not I use straps, If the last rep of any given set was a grinder, my PRs, and even a vomit meter at the bottom of the page for squat days.
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

i bring a cool lookin' page i made in Excel with what i'm supposed to do each day (in a 3-ring binder). i don't write anything on it though, i just remember what i did and put it in an electronic journal when i come home.
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

People with workout logs are the people that make progress consistently.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    People with workout logs are the people that make progress consistently.
    exactly... I wish I had realized that 10 years ago.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

LMAO @ Vomit meter

It has helped me when i look back the week before to see where i was at, i write in it how i was feeling that day before and after workout...if i wasn't feeling it that day and did lower weight than normal, i don't want my lifts the next week to suffer. What i really like is that i can look back and see where i started and how much i have progressed...keeps me motivated
    Bench: Half a subway club
    Squat: to pee
    Deadlift: no thanks

don't let the 12" pythons fool you....i can run way faster scared than you can mad

yeah i also try to take extra notes, like what i ate before i worked out, how i warmed up, if i got a good night sleep, etc. then i rate my workout at the end. this way i can look at the really good days and try to repeat what i did, or avoid something i did on a bad workout day. i also write in any progression, whether i added weight to a lift, did one more rep than the previous week, anything that shows that i somehow progressed from what i did previously

I carry a three ring binder around with me. Some of the "do it on the fly" hard asses on the gym look at me funny, but then again I out lift most of them so they can't say a damn thing to me.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

I've always been able to remember what I do. Then I get home and document it electronically. It's for the best since I can't read my own damn handwriting most of the time.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

I have a big white board in my gym that I write down what I'm going to do. No need for a binder to write it down with, I just log it on here when I get home

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I keep a log. I'd be lost without it.

I do SS so my workouts are planned. I write them down on a 3"X5" index card and keep that in my pocket. I don't like having to worry about carrying a notebook. If I miss a rep I make notes on it using the pen at the desk. I rest between sets anyhow. I write down warmups and all. When I get home I write in my journal here and add my personal comments and thoughts. An online journal really helps me to keep on track.
    "The deadlift is more functional in that itís very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

I've got logs going back 10 years, and can look and see exactly what I did, in the order I did it. I also make notes about injuries, or motivation levels. I'll have to add the vomit meter ~ that's classic.

In my mind the log is a narrative account similar to taking a "photo" to measure progress.

When I started getting serious with lifting, I remember doing the German Volume Method, and I've still got the logs..... 10 sets of 10 on the Bench starting at 135. Seems like a joke that that was considered a workout now.
    Last edited by Iplan; 02-23-2010 at 08:07 PM.

I generally write up what my training goals are before I go to the gym, then keep track in my log when I get there. I often look up what my past PR's were on whatever lifts I plan to do (which I keep in a spreadsheet going back almost 5 years) so I know what to shoot for. I always post my results in my WBB journal the next day.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Wannabebig Member
    I just got back from the gym, and a couple dudes actually were laughing at me for writing down my numbers as I did my workout. I don't care. People who don't log their numbers are usually the same people who wander around the gym aimlessly picking up a dumbbell here, doing a couple reps on some crappy machine there, then jumping on the stairmaster. They've got no plan, so they don't make any progress.

Whenever I "arrange" a routine I like, I make a workout sheet of it in MS Word. I can see what move to do next, write my reps and weights, and make any other notes. Then when I get home, I make a log entry in my binder.

So you're not alone. The #1 thing you can do is have a plan, and for many of us that means writing things down.

I just got back from the gym, and a couple dudes actually were laughing at me for writing down my numbers as I did my workout.
    In my mind, you just said the third best argument for having a home gym ~ right there.

The second best argument for having a home gym is so that you don't have to worry about catching some disease off the sweat from the Dumbells/ Bars/ Bench/ etc.

Finally, the single best argument for having a home gym is so that you and your wife can work out in the buff! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    I just got back from the gym, and a couple dudes actually were laughing at me for writing down my numbers as I did my workout.
    Keep up with the log, and in a year or two those same d-bags will be asking to see your log instead of mocking it.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

[QUOTE=Lloyd Braun;2298747]I just got back from the gym, and a couple dudes actually were laughing at me for writing down my numbers as I did my workout. I don't care.

I carry a 3ring binder, tupperware of chalk and a can of cope. I find the log keeps me accountable. I get some weird looks when putting in a dip of cope before squatting or pulling.

I just got back from the gym, and a couple dudes actually were laughing at me for writing down my numbers as I did my workout. I don't care. People who don't log their numbers are usually the same people who wander around the gym aimlessly picking up a dumbbell here, doing a couple reps on some crappy machine there, then jumping on the stairmaster. They've got no plan, so they don't make any progress.

Whenever I "arrange" a routine I like, I make a workout sheet of it in MS Word. I can see what move to do next, write my reps and weights, and make any other notes. Then when I get home, I make a log entry in my binder.

So you're not alone. The #1 thing you can do is have a plan, and for many of us that means writing things down.
    Great screen name! If George could have only sold em like you.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Great screen name! If George could have only sold em like you.
    Yep, too bad all my sales were bogus. Gum?

I keep a log of my workouts in Excel. I print out 2 weeks worth of workouts in rather small print and then cut the day's routine and fold it up, put it in the pocket of my gym shorts and carry a golf pencil to record what I do. I've been told I'm anal about it, by several, but I'm one of the very few that makes consistent gains.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Yep, too bad all my sales were bogus. Gum?
    Serenity now!

Thai Boxing Bodybuilder The Gasman UK's Avatar
    Well they could be like me, I don't carry a notebook around, but when i get home from the gym i note down my lifts on my PC then upload them to my log next day. But you are right it is good to keep track.
    The Gasmans' journey to the single digits - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131623

I keep a full log in excel. I concatenate strings of exercises, reps and sets to create a cut down easy to read/ modify version of the routine.
    Just before I go for a session, I transfer it to notes in outlook and sync my phone.