Thread: Who does charity work?

Who does charity work?

I happened to notice vdizenzo's sig where he linked his Penguin Plunge donations page. We're doing the same thing here in Indy this weekend (calling it the Polar Plunge, still for Special Olympics) and I started wondering how many people we have here that actually participate in charity events.

This year, I'll be participating in:

Polar Plunge this weekend and our team managed to pull in a major radio station as a sponsor
    Humane Society Mutt Strut in May (walk your dog around Indianapolis Motor Speedway)
    American Cancer Society's Relay For Life in June
    Gleaner's Food Bank Zombie Walk in October

Each event requires fundraising efforts. Since my uncle died of cancer in November 2008, the one I enjoy the most is Relay For Life. Our team puts on a whole lot of events for it, most notably a singles auction. Last year, we brought in about $3000 from the auction alone and the whole team pulled in 5 digits in about 3 months of fundraising. This year, we'll be holding the auction again as well as beer pong, poker, and/or pool tournaments and there's some talk of a 50/50 raffle across all the charities.

I remember Mike Wolfe has put on a bench press meet around Christmas for a kids' charity the last few years but is there anyone else here that participates in charity events or does volunteer work or anything like that?
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

I try to donate all of my time and money that I give to charity for low income inner city families and youths since I believe that is the best way to make a difference. My company has a program where we assist inner city high school students. I also work closely with an employment group for inner city adults.

I shy away from a lot of the stuff unless I am directly involved with the financial end of the charity. There are to many scam artists out there and you go around and collect money from all your friends and only a small fraction goes to where it is needed.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

That's cool. The Special Olympics, Humane Society, and ACS are pretty good about money going where it's supposed to but I can definitely understand your concern. I've heard a lot of stories about fund misappropriation and it's pretty ****ty.

The Zombie Walk is a canned food drive. Another one that my group does a lot for is the United Way Backpack Attack where we collect school supplies for kids every August. I spent about $50 last year and bought something like 7 shopping bags full of stuff and 3 backpacks. I like those because there's no money to get lost in the system, it's all goods that get distributed to where they need to go.

I do a fundraising 5k run for Women in Distress every year. I raised like $500 last year. I've volunteered here and there before but that is the most consistent one that I do.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

I do good amount of stuff with the Dallas Symphony Orchestra. The proceeds go to supplying instruments, music teachers, field trips etc... Dallas School District keeps cutting music programs, which in my opinion is unacceptable. Yea, the football team gets new helmets and the super intendant gets a bigger bonus... give me a break.
    Sarvamangalam!

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    I have a therapy dog that I visit hospitals and nursing homes with. But I could probably be more active in some other charity events.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    I did a lot of charity work when I was in college. I was on a football team and quite a few times we would go and help out kids, run free camps and volunteer down at local organizations and help out with the kids.

In our local BSU we helped with food drives, help build homes, habitat for humanity and stuff like that.

Havent been doing as much as of late but when I get myself back up on my feet I do plan on doing a lot more volunteer work
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    I'm not party of any official charity. I tutor kids on the side. I donate to charities though. I'm in a bit of a rough patch with my investments, so I'm only donating about $500 a year. Hopefully, when the economy turns around and my investments produce some more I'll donate closer to $2500 dollar a year.

I actually plan on donating most of what I make in my lifetime to various charities, to me, earning money is just points in a game.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

I'm thinking of organizing a high school power lifting competition with some of the proceeds going to charity, but I don't do a whole lot of chairty work at the moment.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade View Post
    I have a therapy dog that I visit hospitals and nursing homes with. But I could probably be more active in some other charity events.
    My wife wants to do this, we have a Great Dane puppy she is thinking about getting into it with..
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

I like to help with food drives and some of the church stuff that goes on around the holidays.

2 years ago we filled 6 public transit busses FULL of canned foods and clothing. Everything that was donated was given to shelters and group homes
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JSully View Post
    My wife wants to do this, we have a Great Dane puppy she is thinking about getting into it with..
    I have heard "this is the best thing that has happened all day," more times than I can count.

When one is in a hospital/nursing home setting for extended periods of time, it's pretty amazing how even the most basic pleasures can bring so much joy to people.

EDIT:
    I also forgot, if you (or anyone else is interested) I highly suggest going through Therapy Dogs Inc. http://www.therapydogs.com/, not Therapy Dogs International. I'm sure their heart is in the right place, but to have a dog certified through Therapy Dogs International it has to have its canine good citizen certificate, which, depending on the dog, can be a pain to get. Therapy Dogs Inc has a testing and observation process, but it's based more on common sense and the dog, not formal training.
    Last edited by Mercuryblade; 02-23-2010 at 02:23 PM.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

I've contacted my local Habitat For Humanity twice about volunteering and I haven't had so much as a response.

I tell ya what though..if you can watch the movie "The Soloist" and not feel somewhat moved to help out in this world, then you might need a reality check.
    Last edited by Patz; 02-23-2010 at 04:04 PM.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Very cool to see so many people into helping out. A lot of people give a boatload of money but I find that actually getting involved gives me more satisfaction.

My family contributes to:
    Anything related to curing cancer
    Habitat
    During Christmas, organizing gift drives.
    Soup Kitchens (bith $$$ and time)
    Stats: (11/1/2009)
    Ht: 6'1"
    Weight 250#