The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Worth of EMG studies in gauging excercises effectiveness?

How good would any of you say EMG studies are at determining the "worth" or effectiveness of an exercise? I would be real interested in hearing some opinions on this. Obviously they're not as good as good ol' fashioned trial and error, though that can take years to objectively figure out which exercises benefit your lifts the most, seeing as how there are so many other variables (diet, sleep, supplements, everything else you're doing, etc.).

I'm referring to articles such as these --> http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...ceps_exercises

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...trap_exercises

and no I haven't read either in depth, just sort of glanced through them.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Having read them, the exercises that come out on top are pretty standard anyway - no surprise there, decades of trial and error mean we already know which exercises produce the greatest tension in the target muscles and as tension is the most important factor (fatigue is secondary) in increasing strength and size, it is this to which we should be paying attention.

Surface EMG attempts to measure electrical activity in the muscle, through the skin, it doesn't tell you anything about local tension in the muscle (the most important factor), it just tells you which muscles are working in a particular movement.

Ultimately it doesn't really tell you anything useful and I wouldn't be surprised to see pressdowns topping the chart over CGP when it comes to electrical activity - draw your own conclusions.

Incidentally, no disrespect meant to the author, in fact hat's off to him for doing it.
    Last edited by Daniel Roberts; 02-24-2010 at 03:05 AM.