Thread: Too much weight for bench dips at home

Too much weight for bench dips at home

I started doing bench dips at home the other week, but they're so easy I'm not able to do them with enough weight.

I can do about 3x12 with 60kg (132lb) on my lap, but it's so hard to get my feet up with that weight on my lap and one slip I'd be screwed. I want to be doing 3x8 so that would need a lot more weight, and I seem to be progressing largely each week.

Can anyone suggest a way to make the weight more affective so I don't need to use as much? Or a good replacement excercise?

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/.../WtTriDip.html

If you can build or find something with 2 parallel bars then those form of dips should do. be careful on the wrist if you plan to stack two tables. close-grip push-ups are decent for body weight exercises if you're limited on equipment.

Would love to do those, but there is nowhere I can do them in my house (small flat, no extra furnature or anything to use)

get a gym membership!
    ain't nuttin but a peanut.

You will have gotten stronger when the weight that feels heavy is actually heavier than the weight that feels heavy now. Then the weight that feels heavy now will be a warmup for the weight that feels heavy then. But the weight will always feel heavy or you're not lifting enough weight. Clear? -Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by jtteg_x View Post
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/.../WtTriDip.html

If you can build or find something with 2 parallel bars then those form of dips should do. be careful on the wrist if you plan to stack two tables. close-grip push-ups are decent for body weight exercises if you're limited on equipment.
    +1. Much harder to do that bench dips.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

I ran into this problem and solved it by squeezing a single dumbell between my legs, but since it'd probably be tough to find a 134lb dumbell, might I suggest.

a: using a step instead of the bench (so your feet are more parallel to the floor),

or

b: putting your feet higher than your hands.

or

c: another tricep exercise like French Curls (skull crushers).
    Last edited by Iplan; 02-25-2010 at 06:09 AM.

Gain weight
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I usually found this exercise more effective with higher reps personally.

Also, make sure you are going deep enough with them to get the full extension of the tricep.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I currently have my feet at same height as my hands. Might try putting them higher though I have a feeling that'll be hard to get my feet up after the weight is on my lap.

If that doesn't work I guess I'll have to switch excercises, as I don't really want to get a gym membership as another expense is the last thing I need. Do you guys find close-grip benching or skull crushers more effective?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by greemah View Post
    I currently have my feet at same height as my hands. Might try putting them higher though I have a feeling that'll be hard to get my feet up after the weight is on my lap.

If that doesn't work I guess I'll have to switch excercises, as I don't really want to get a gym membership as another expense is the last thing I need. Do you guys find close-grip benching or skull crushers more effective?
    Both of those exercises work relly well. I prefere skull crushers more than close bench but thats just me. You make relly good jains with skull crushers. Back to dips though why dont you put your feet up then individually put the weights on?