The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

protein absorbtion

If I were super organized, I would consume 6 perfect meals a day. I am not. So, if I wanna get 300 plus grams of protein a day, anyone advise against trying to digest 75 grams of protein per meal x 4 meals a day? I have read that the 30 gram absorption limit is a myth. Should I take a digestive enzyme to help?

Also, is having a shake along with a whole food meal problematic? Whey with water and peanut butter and jelly or turkey sandwich is awfully convenient...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Having a shake with whole foods is better. It will modulate the influx of aminos.

What are your stats?

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Soilwork addict.
    The 30 gram theory is unfounded. There are also theories/studies out there that say that consuming 1g of protein per lb of body mass will lead to a shorter life.

They simply exist to push personal agendas.

Think about this:

As much as the weight lifting community is based off of anecdotal evidence, you think it would throw something like this around if it didnt atleast work? People have consumed more than 30g protein in a sitting since we have been here. Strongmen have devastated cows with furious tenacity since the 1800s. The 30g theory doesnt even take into account different types of protein. Its incomplete, biased, and ridiculous. Purely exists for shock factor.

I have eaten 250g protein in a single meal because thats all I could eat that day. Even though that was squat volume day(my hardest day) I wasnt even very sore the next day. However, if I eat 80g of protein throughout the day and squat, the next day will be hell from soreness.

Try it.
    Quote Originally Posted by StormTheBeach View Post
    I think I am just going to start posting dick pictures on here until this thread gets deleted.
    18% BF down from 25%+ since April. Halfway to abs.

Current 1200+ gym total. 214 lbs 5'10.5" 36.5" waist.

Working on correcting some imbalances at the moment.

^ Right on the money.

You are digesting your meals throughout the entire 24 hour day cycle.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

redbarr, I posted this in the midnight shakes thread below, might be worth reading the rest of it too, but like the other guys have said, 'don't sweat it' it's no problem at all -

One other point is that many people assume that food is eaten, quickly digested and then enters the bloodstream, this is not the case.
    Consumed in isolation (i.e. an empty stomach) even a whey isolate is digested and it's amino acid load released into the bloodstream at a rate of approximately 10g per hour. So a 40g serving on an empty stomach (which is most favourable to speedy digestion) will take approx 4hrs i.e. there'll be amino acids in the bloodstream at 4hrs.

Casein's rate is approx 6g per hour, so the same 40g amount would take approx 61/2hrs.

Add in a normal mixed diet and things slow even further

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Roberts View Post
    redbarr, I posted this in the midnight shakes thread below, might be worth reading the rest of it too, but like the other guys have said, 'don't sweat it' it's no problem at all -

One other point is that many people assume that food is eaten, quickly digested and then enters the bloodstream, this is not the case.
    Consumed in isolation (i.e. an empty stomach) even a whey isolate is digested and it's amino acid load released into the bloodstream at a rate of approximately 10g per hour. So a 40g serving on an empty stomach (which is most favourable to speedy digestion) will take approx 4hrs i.e. there'll be amino acids in the bloodstream at 4hrs.

Casein's rate is approx 6g per hour, so the same 40g amount would take approx 61/2hrs.

Add in a normal mixed diet and things slow even further
    I Daniel,
    Ive just started doing some weight training along with my cardio normally 40mins on a statonary bike I can't run at moment due to a knee problem, I do 6 sets of machine chest excercises, same for shoulders, back and legs 3 times a week, Im 49 so Im just doing it for fitness and toning up, I normally train after Ive had my main meal of the day, when I get back at about 9pm I don't eat anything although, I do have 1or 2 cups of tea, Iam thinking of trying some protein powders to take after training, Im thinking od Scimentor Premier Whey, is that a good idea would you say.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Steve the Jack; 02-20-2010 at 04:47 AM.

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Jack View Post
    I Daniel,
    Ive just started doing some weight training along with my cardio normally 40mins on a stationary bike I can't run at moment due to a knee problem, I do 6 sets of machine chest exercises, same for shoulders, back and legs 3 times a week, Im 49 so Im just doing it for fitness and toning up, I normally train after Ive had my main meal of the day, when I get back at about 9pm I don't eat anything although, I do have 1or 2 cups of tea, Iam thinking of trying some protein powders to take after training, Im thinking of Sci-mentor Premier Whey, is that a good idea would you say.
    Cheers

Anybody able to offer some advise on my query if not Daniel. Cheers

Wannabe Tank.
    Steve,

In future it's probably best not to hijack a thread with your own question, but either search or start a new thread.

To answer your question, I would look at some WPI or a WPI/WPC mix for a post workout drink. In terms of brand, well there are a million and one to chose from. I would get simple plain protein without all the extra stuff thats added. Optimum nutrition 100% Whey is great, and many people here recommend Nitrean from ALN (though I haven't had the chance to try it yet).
    Quote Originally Posted by Shao-LiN
    They will also be banning weight lifting, so do as much as you can now.