Thread: Question for the benchers?

Question for the benchers?

Any other powerlifters feel like they have forearm pains, almost like you would when u get shin splits, from heavy benching? Stronger than ever and ready to PR at my meet is in 5 weeks but the forearms are getting unbearable! Any advice on treatments?

90% of the time this is because guys handcuff their benches.

Be very careful. You can easily develop stress fractures in your forearms if this gets bad enough.

Wrap very high and super tight and ice your forearms tons. You have to keep those wrists straight while benching

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

What do you mean by handcuffing? And have ice on them now as we speak Travis I wrap real tight with 24 inch APT wrist wraps, any other tips, are appreciated as well.

Like Travis said, beware of stress fractures. I had lots of issues with my forearms years back. I saw many doctors and pt's. The only thing that ended up working was advice I got from Ryan Kennelly, train the balls out of your forearms. Use wrist curls, hammer curls, reverse curls, grip work, etc. Good luck.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

I had the same exact pain that you described and I realized that I was handcuffing myself and once I made a conscious effort to keep my wrist straight it all went away.

J stott,

Get you a pair of 36" APT convicts and wrap as high on the heel of your hand as your fed allows... That should solve any wrist bending while benching.

Like Vin said, forearm work is a must! I do hammer-curls, wrist, rev. curls, etc. and mix it up after every BP workout. I also do grippers as well, as I feel they make my hands feel alot more solid when gripping the bar.

RC

Thanks fellas, I will implement all your advice, I CAN DO EACH TO FIX THE PROB EXCEPT THE WRIST WRAPS, AT 36 INCH IN LENGTH , BECAUSE I NORMALLY lift in the USPF, I apreciate all the help.

You cant use 36" wrap in the uspf?

Handcuffing is when you bend your wrists back

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

This is a big reason why I quit wearing shirts. I felt like my forearm was going to snap in half. What I did was treat it like an injury. Iced and massage with the trigger wheel a few nights a week.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

I injured my forearm like that once while doing a 2brd. Sucker hurt for about 3 weeks before it was better

George showed me how to wrap my wrist so it didn't happen again, and it hasn't.

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    I injured my forearm like that once while doing a 2brd. Sucker hurt for about 3 weeks before it was better

George showed me how to wrap my wrist so it didn't happen again, and it hasn't.
    Can you describe how you wrap your wrists?

Thanks guys everything is slowly getting better I have some training vids up on my facebook, if you wanna critique anything in my bench training, I have done the massaging, added longer wraps concentrating on addtional rehab work and forearms exercise and tons of of icing and wrists not being cuffed, maybe see some of you guys at the Arnold this weekend and looking to break into 6 hundred pound bench club in my single ply at 198 on April 3 USPF MEET, Thanks fellas,, I always apreciate the help.

Quote Originally Posted by haydn104 View Post
    Can you describe how you wrap your wrists?
    Like stated above, wrap high on the wrist, and very tight

George said you want it so tight that you feel the nerve in between your index finger and thumb kinda pinching.

It definitely works

Like stated above, wrap high on the wrist, and very tight

George said you want it so tight that you feel the nerve in between your index finger and thumb kinda pinching.

It definitely works
    Hey Travis ,I may hit Louie up since I will be in Columbus for the Arnold, do you bench sundays ME or Speed? I haven't been up for a while last time I was up I worked in with Jay and Fred maybe I could get some help touchin in my Single ply Super Kat, I got one size bigger just in case though.
    Last edited by J Stottlemire; 03-04-2010 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by J Stottlemire View Post
    Hey Travis ,I may hit Louie up since I will be in Columbus for the Arnold, do you bench sundays ME or Speed? I haven't been up for a while last time I was up I worked in with Jay and Fred maybe I could get some help touchin in my Single ply Super Kat, I got one size bigger just in case though.
    Lou will not be in town. He will be down in TN at an SPF meet

I train with the full power crew on Wednsdays when we do ME work.

There might be a few guys in there on Sunday doing DE work, best bet is to get a hold of Jay.

We get inundated with requests for visits during the Arnold lol so be patient with them is the gym is just a little busy or you don't see the full power guys much

Lou will not be in town. He will be down in TN at an SPF meet

I train with the full power crew on Wednsdays when we do ME work.

There might be a few guys in there on Sunday doing DE work, best bet is to get a hold of Jay.

We get inundated with requests for visits during the Arnold lol so be patient with them is the gym is just a little busy or you don't see the full power guys much
    Maybe I should just wait till I get back on monday then to hit my bench I only have three traiing sessions left for this meet, let me know if u get a chance to check my vids if u may have any feedback for me in order to help me improve and again thanks a millions!

I had the exact same pain you describe. The advice you're getting here is dead on. It's not one of those thing that "just clears up". It was my first experience with dealing with an "injury" that I had to actually work to improve.

Ice nightly. Even better, get a bucket and submerse your entire forearm in ice water. This works WAY better than ice itself.
    Wrap tighter, and higher on your wrist. You may have to change the way you hold the bar when benching to ensure the bar stays over your forearms and doesn't cock your wrists back too far.
    Give yourself a few weeks off of heavy benching directly after the meet. Focus on raw benching WITHOUT wrist wraps. Getting your wrists and forearms stronger helps alot.
    Do forearm and, believe it or not, bicep work. This helped me tremendously with my pain and helped my grip.
    Finally, realize some pain you may just have to live with. I don't have much forearm pain anymore but my left wrist goes numb when I bench anything over 700. It stays numb overnight and generally fades the next day. It sucks, but it's better than that intense shooting pain in the forearms I used to have.

sponsored by

Don't Flinch.
    Jersey Iron Gear!
    Tone on Facebook
    880/820/770/2415 Geared
    680/530/750/1960 Raw

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaccio View Post
    I had the exact same pain you describe. The advice you're getting here is dead on. It's not one of those thing that "just clears up". It was my first experience with dealing with an "injury" that I had to actually work to improve.

Ice nightly. Even better, get a bucket and submerse your entire forearm in ice water. This works WAY better than ice itself.
    Wrap tighter, and higher on your wrist. You may have to change the way you hold the bar when benching to ensure the bar stays over your forearms and doesn't cock your wrists back too far.
    Give yourself a few weeks off of heavy benching directly after the meet. Focus on raw benching WITHOUT wrist wraps. Getting your wrists and forearms stronger helps alot.
    Do forearm and, believe it or not, bicep work. This helped me tremendously with my pain and helped my grip.
    Finally, realize some pain you may just have to live with. I don't have much forearm pain anymore but my left wrist goes numb when I bench anything over 700. It stays numb overnight and generally fades the next day. It sucks, but it's better than that intense shooting pain in the forearms I used to have.
    Barbaccio, Thanks bud, I sent you a request on FB to you also, I am gonna grab another bucket today and try contrasting heat and cold also, things are slowly improving and I am quickly realizing you can't even have the the smallest weakness of anything to get your lifts bigger.I have 4 weeks to heal and recover and 3 to train as I always take a week off before the meet maybe do only some light benching and some upper back work and get blood in my triceps about 6 days out.

Ive got a little problem building up now, great thread and great advice, I'll use it some. Thank Jstottlemire for starting this ;-)
    Proudly sponsored:
    EliteFTS - APT Pro Straps - Spud Inc. - LG Sciences

Quote Originally Posted by J Stottlemire View Post
    Any other powerlifters feel like they have forearm pains, almost like you would when u get shin splits, from heavy benching? Stronger than ever and ready to PR at my meet is in 5 weeks but the forearms are getting unbearable! Any advice on treatments?
    I had a bunch of problems with my right forearm last year. I tore ome ligaments in my right elbow a few years back and developed some nerve impingement. My right pinkey and ring fingers still get a little numb from time to time, usually with heavy deadlifts, which does nothing to make me like them any better.

In addition to whats been mentioned, on thing that helped me was to get into a regular habit of having a massage therapist work your forearms and biceps over, especially as you get closer to a meet. Heavy benching will irritate the muscles and connective tissue, but if you combine that with the ripping forces of deadlifting heavy you can set yourself up to develop extensor and flexor tendonitis. Its also important to practice self massage as part of your routine rehabilitation work. I have a couple of those Elitefts reflex balls and a "knobber" (whatever the heck you call that thing) that I routinely work on my forearms with, especially after benching or deadlifting heavy.

Its made a big difference for me.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.