The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member
    Work in Ga, live in Alabama and in Iraq now

Time off before Competition

I have a Bench Comp march 2nd , its been many years since i have done one...how much time off should i take its about 4 days should i life bench one more day or relax for the 4 days till the comp....any guidance would be great.
    thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

When was your last bench press workout? If your last workout was today, you should rest until your meet. Most people make their last BP workout a week out. I normally take five to six days off depending if the competition is on Saturday or Sunday. Good luck.

Yup, I like taking at least a full week off being full power. If I was just benching, things might be a bit different. But over a training cycle I get pretty beat up
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    yeah i did tri's and bi's today and bench on tueday, i think i'm just going to take the rest of the week off till tuesday night let the body heal up so i can demolish it really well.

I give myself a week of no work before a meet. Just chillax. Do some foam rolling, go for some walks... keep the blood moving but don't exert yourself.
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

Yep, full week off bro... save it for the platform!

You'll be glad you did.

Sunday before a meet is usually my last workout day. Sunday is always bench day. I'll use warm up to my last warmup raw before I would put on my shirt and then do light assistance work.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

As a bench only guy, I've gone back and fourth over time. some weeks before a meet, I do everything just like I normally do just skip ME bench

In fact some meets that I just wanted to treat as a heavy training day, I didn't skip ME bench

Other times I've taken most of the week off and done nothing but rehab stuff.

What I think is important to look at is a)how difficult your meet prep was and how beat up you are and b)how important this meet is.

I see a lot of guys, most of them beginners, who do meets all the time. They are constantly taking a week off here, week off there, deloading, what have you and never getting stronger. Too many meets will put you in meet prep mode all the time (keep in mind, I'm talking about the guys who do meets every other month or every month, year round)

I've found that to keep moving throughout the week, just doing something to keep the blood moving is what helps me the most. Otherwise I get a little stiff and sluggish.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Wannabebig Member
    Hey thanks for all the help, i really did not beat up my body to bad this week, and well i'm doing this bench meet then a full meet at the end of the month. I'm in the army and deployed to iraq this is just a meet for the FOB(foward operating base) so besides missions i usually workout 5 days a week take two off kinda thing, its not a true power workout but hell i try to bust my ass as much as i can.
    30y/o 5'10" 200lbs
    Bench PR-350 raw
    Deadlift PR-500 raw
    Squat PR-445x7 raw

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    As a bench only guy, I've gone back and fourth over time. some weeks before a meet, I do everything just like I normally do just skip ME bench

In fact some meets that I just wanted to treat as a heavy training day, I didn't skip ME bench

Other times I've taken most of the week off and done nothing but rehab stuff.
    Travis,
    I have had the best results when I train through the week leading up to a meet. If I am doing bench only I train Monday through Thursday. I do bench on Monday with one heavy set of 405x7 after warm ups. I do this because after 7 days I feel really flat and weak. With the workout at the top of the week I still have a little pump and I feel really strong come meet time. I have done a lot of experimenting over the years and I think taking 7 days was doing more harm than good. Like I tell a lot of people you have to find out what works best through trial and error.
    Last edited by Cyrus Ford; 02-26-2010 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus Ford View Post
    Travis,
    I have had the best results when I train through the week leading up to a meet. If I am doing bench only I train Monday through Thursday. I do bench on Monday with one heavy set of 405x7 after warm ups. I do this because after 7 days I feel really flat and weak. With the workout at the top of the week I still have a little pump and I feel really strong come meet time. I have done a lot of experimenting over the years and I think taking 7 days was doing more harm than good. Like I tell a lot of people you have to find out what works best through trial and error.
    I've only gone heavy the week before a meet when I didn't really care about the meet outcome. More was using it as a heavy training day.

I would NOT recommend going heavy all the time before a meet. Doing some speed bench is probably better than going heavy in my opinion. There is easily a middle ground between going heavy and doing nothing.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I agree w/ doing some light training prior to a "bench only" meet... The last one I did I went to my opener on the bench and did my accessory work on Monday. the meet was on Sat. so I feel 4-5 days is plenty of rest.

However, if it's full power I take a full week off and as stated earlier, just keep moving and get the blood flowing.

Wannabebig Member
    Its Saturday here thinking about doing a light bench day the last 3 days off i've felt sluggish, and then take sunday and monday off and bench comp is tuesday night. That should good to all? light or heavy bench today should i do?

hey i'm new to the site but love the site and the help thanks to all.
    30y/o 5'10" 200lbs
    Bench PR-350 raw
    Deadlift PR-500 raw
    Squat PR-445x7 raw

Quote Originally Posted by combatzr2 View Post
    Its Saturday here thinking about doing a light bench day the last 3 days off i've felt sluggish, and then take sunday and monday off and bench comp is tuesday night. That should good to all? light or heavy bench today should i do?

hey i'm new to the site but love the site and the help thanks to all.
    I would rest. It is too close to do a workout today when the meet is on Tuesday.

Wannabebig Member
    ok against the advice of you great lifters I had to go to the gym i was losing my mind. However, I only went really like 135 for 10pause 225 2sets 8 pause and then 135 again for 10pause then walked out just something to get the blood flowing. now i'm going to ask for some more advice as i've been out of the loop for sometime now. I have a full meet the 25th of the month, how and what should i train for this. Once again, thanks for taking the time to help me out...
    30y/o 5'10" 200lbs
    Bench PR-350 raw
    Deadlift PR-500 raw
    Squat PR-445x7 raw