The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Wrist Wrap Question (And Now a Knee Wrap Question Update 3/2)

You guys have helped me countless times and I turn to you again here!

As I start handling 300+ on bench more and more I think it's time to get some wraps as I get some slight wrist discomfort.

I ordered APT Convicts, but they emailed me back and said they were out of stock. I checked EFS and their customer service said they should get the Heavy wraps in next week, but they do have Super Heavy Wraps in stock.

APT is also out of stock of ZRVs but they have Black Mamba's and Black Reapers.

Inzer is another option.

Does anyone have an opinion? You guys have never steered me wrong!

EDIT/UPDATE

Now I'm looking into knee wraps. Not necessarily going to buy them today, but I'm thinking about it. How much wrap should I use? 3 meters? And what knee wraps are recommended? I generally see Convicts being pimped alot. How are the Mamba knee wraps? ZRVs?

Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by KoSh; 03-02-2010 at 06:59 AM.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

super heavies may be a bit much if youv never used wraps before....black mambas are a really good wrap as are both inzer wraps. I would recomend a 24" wrap for your first one. the inzer z wraps are cheap and good as are the mambas

Juggernaut
    Get a 36" set of APT Black Reapers for your super heavy work, and a set of the 24" Reapers for your middle-range work. Those should be plenty of wrap for the 300 pound range. Use discount code JELICK to get 15% off your APT order...

Black reapers, I would get 36s.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

I just got my 36" Titan RPM's and I like em! Benched over 300 in them and tonnes of support.
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

I'm a 300lb raw bencher as well. I love using my Inzer True blacks 24" for raw bench. I've also used my partners Inzer Z's and Titan THP which are also great wraps as well. I bring out the EFS super heavy when I put the shirt on Never used any of APT's newer model wraps

are the 36' legal in the ipf/usapl? and how are the metal line brand wrist wraps?

Quote Originally Posted by bigjeff87 View Post
    are the 36' legal in the ipf/usapl? and how are the metal line brand wrist wraps?
    I don't know about the specifics of USAPL/IPF. If you are referring to the Metal wraps that are white with black lines on them, they are OK. I have an old pair and they do stretch out after you use them for a while. I've heard good things about the Metal black wraps though. Any of the APT or EFS wraps mentioned in this thread are probably better in my opinion. Some of the heavier wraps not only give more support, but they also seem to last longer without getting stretched out too much.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjeff87 View Post
    36' isn't but 36" are

basically any suppliers should have the IPF approved logo on their page if the product is IPF approved. Or at least note it on the page some where
    Last edited by IronDiggy; 02-27-2010 at 09:14 AM.
    Training since Dec 2008.

I've had the metal all blacks. the thumb loop eventually snapped (as my inzer true blacks did as well). however, the thumb loop on the inzer's were bit more heavy duty and lasted longer before the loop gave out. considering the price of the metal all blacks, its not worth buying.

Went ahead and got the Reapers. Thanks for all of your help!
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Saw this late but if you decide you don't like the reapers, I'd recommend Titan's THP 36". I've worked up to 820 on boards with them and have no wrist issues. Great support.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermonster View Post
    Saw this late but if you decide you don't like the reapers, I'd recommend Titan's THP 36". I've worked up to 820 on boards with them and have no wrist issues. Great support.
    I have a worn out pair of 24" THP's awesome wrap wish I would have gotten them in 36" originally (didn't know any better.) but my rpm's are almost the exact same feeling they just stretch a hell ova lot more.
    Training since Dec 2008.

I got the 24" to start. I figure buying another pair will run me no more than $30 with shipping in 36".
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Updated the OP with a knee wrap question too, rather than starting a whole new thread for it.

Thanks fellas!

PS: Definitely going without velcro for the knee wrap when I do order them!
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Dr. Subtotal
    Depends on some things. Know what style of wrap would suit you....Alot of lifters like myself prefer the cast like stiffness of the Convict for stopping power, whereas some like the rebound that the old school Z wraps give. 3m is the way to go unless you plan to compete USAPL/IPF then 2m it is.

Also, if you plan to wear them in training consistently and have to apply them yourselves, something like the Blue Mambas/ZRV or Titans or Inzers stuff aren't bad. Applying convicts by yourself won't be nearly as effective as someone else torquing the crap out of them.

I typically train in a pair of old Metal All Blacks (good mix between rebound/cast) and then wear my convicts for meets and PR training.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

I pretty much train alone. I was looking at some feds and alot seem to say 2 meters or 2.5 is the limit.

So I'll go with 2 or 2.5s. ZRVs and Mambas sound pretty good. The descriptions sound good and I've heard good things about them.
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Garage Lifter
    I got 2.5m Convicts with Velcro. When I replace them I'll get 3m without velcro. The velcro popped when I was doing a heavy set Other than that I really like the Convicts.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    I got 2.5m Convicts with Velcro. When I replace them I'll get 3m without velcro. The velcro popped when I was doing a heavy set Other than that I really like the Convicts.
    Do you train alone? Before BloodandThunder posted I was worried about getting the wraps tight enough alone... His post kind of solidified my fears.
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Yeah the velcro is junk on knee wraps.

Give the ZRV's a try, they are relatively soft, but you can crank them for some good support
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Garage Lifter
    Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    Do you train alone? Before BloodandThunder posted I was worried about getting the wraps tight enough alone... His post kind of solidified my fears.
    Just me and a mildewy garage. Everytime that I put them on they're a little tighter and a little more comfortable as well. I definitely am getting something out of them.

You could always do knee sleeves as well. That's what I've been using for the past year. Started with the Red and Black APTs and then went to the EFS Heavy Sleeves. Both are great. I think that the EFS Heavy sleeves are the same as the Convist Double Ply sleeve from APT.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

I'd like a wrap so I can get used to the feeling. It seems knee sleeves aren't legal in alot of feds, unless I'm reading that incorrectly (which I may be since I've been reading in between work done today)
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    I'd like a wrap so I can get used to the feeling. It seems knee sleeves aren't legal in alot of feds, unless I'm reading that incorrectly (which I may be since I've been reading in between work done today)
    I'm not sure that's true. If wraps are allowed then in most cases knee sleeves are allowed.

What fed is your next meet?
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

Like lones said those zrv are a good wrap. and you can def crank them or just have a snug wrap.

WNPF if I do it.
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method