The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Quote Originally Posted by SCmmaFAN View Post
    Very solid squatting.
    thanks bro!

Upper Body- weak workout today

Military Press-- been at least a month and a half so i experimented with grips
    95x5
    95x5
    95x5
    95x5

Chinups (should have done more on first 3 sets)
    4 (wide grip)

Flat DB Bench
    55 lb DBs x 10
    55 lb DBs x 8
    45 lb DB x 8 (1 armed per arm)
    35 lb DB x 10 (1 armed per arm)

Chest Supported Rows
    55x10
    55x10
    55x10
    did 1 set of lat pulldowns

Reverse Grip Bench
    115x8
    115x5 (felt weird)
    115x3 CGBP (not feelin it)

Incline DB Curls
    15 lb DBs x 10
    15 lb DBs x 8
    20 lb DBs x 10 (hammer curls)

Tricep Pushdowns
    143x8
    143x7
    110x10
    22x10 (1 armed)

BB Complex
    Squat/Hang Clean/Front Squat/RDL x 8 per @ 65 lbs

set of BB Shrugs, but stopped since tomorrow might be deadlift day

Comments: Not a great workout- felt weak all around. Military felt ok, but it wasn't bad enough to stop me from doing them. I think my warmups have been helping. Everything else was pretty bad- not much else to say here.

figured i'd take some progress pics- from about a week ago. my back looked better in another pic (wasn't bad lighting. i look whiter than i actually am in it which is hard) but it wasn't working.

http://i35.tinypic.com/hvcjdg.jpg

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2vcb1n7&s=4

That workout must have taken so long, and to finish off with complexes is crazy.

The progress pics look good. Also, how was your shoulder feeling on the presses?

Quote Originally Posted by famous636 View Post
    That workout must have taken so long, and to finish off with complexes is crazy.
    was about an hour if that... i usually do multiple complexes when i finish, but today i think it was dumb as hell to do a lower body complex on an upper body day. Did a bit of stretching beforehand though.

Quote Originally Posted by SCmmaFAN View Post
    The progress pics look good. Also, how was your shoulder feeling on the presses?
    Thanks man! My shoulder felt the same way it did with DBs... I was able to bare the pain and go through it without it being too extreme. I now know my right shoulder is pretty prone to injuries, so i will take it slowly and maybe switch to dumbbells for some higher rep stuff.

House Lannister
    Strong chest in the pics.

Your military is catching up to mine. Damn you!

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Strong chest in the pics.

Your military is catching up to mine. Damn you!
    thanks man

I have hit a 125 military before and i've also gotten around 105x8 or something like that. kept it light yesterday. what's your military at right now? If I remember correclty 95x8 for a few sets?

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
    thanks man

I have hit a 125 military before and i've also gotten around 105x8 or something like that. kept it light yesterday. what's your military at right now? If I remember correclty 95x8 for a few sets?
    95#x3x10-11 for right now.

I want to start off with my comments before my #s today...

If i were to judge today's workout solely based off numbers, it wouldn't be good. However, today i learned something at the gym. I left with a strange feeling, thinking of what I would type up in my log once i got home; it has somehow managed to escape me after making a shake and showering, but what i do remember it was a hell of a feeling. I went into the gym today hyped up to go for a new deadlift 1RM. I cruised through every warmup set- 135, 185, 225, 275, 315, and even 355 flew up (previous RM was 365). As a lot of you know, I pride myself on my good deadlift form, and today was the best form i've ever used. I consciously made sure that every part of my body locked out simultaneously with one another. I thrusted my hips through like it was the day before my death and i was ****ing megan fox- i gripped the bar like i was holding onto a cliff with an infinite drop. I basically learned something that I've been told before. I learned that each session is inconsequential on its own. Today, even though I knew i could have hit something more than 365 had i gone for it before 355, I didn't care. If I learn something new every time i go to the gym, who cares if i reach new PRs in every lift? Lifting is very confusing and there are so many factors that go into separating a good workout from a bad workout, and most people who take it seriously don't seem to realize that there is a hell of a lot more than adding weight to the bar and hitting "PRs".

Not sure if that makes sense since I typed it up really fast and i have a splitting headache, but i hope it does. Anyways,

Deadlift
    135x5
    185x3
    225x3
    275x2
    315x1
    355x1
    385x0
    365x0 (not much rest after 385, dumb)
    315x4-- stupid grip

Bulgarian Split Squats
    35 lb DBs x 8- PR 3x8
    35 lb DBs x 8
    35 lb DBs x 8

DB RDL
    40 lb DBs x 10
    40 lb DBs x 10
    40 lb DBs x 10

Leg Press
    360x10
    270x10

Called it a day.

Deadlifts are definitley hit or miss.

last workout at the home gym......... was too hungover to lift tuesday (also mad busy) so i did upper body day today. Nothing noteworthy besides a 75 x 3 x 5 DB Row PR.

Off to college today!!!! good luck to everyone reading and i hope you meet your goals in the near future. Cya all when i come back on breaks

House Lannister
    last workout at the home gym......... was too hungover to lift tuesday (also mad busy) so i did upper body day today. Nothing noteworthy besides a 75 x 3 x 5 DB Row PR.

Off to college today!!!! good luck to everyone reading and i hope you meet your goals in the near future. Cya all when i come back on breaks
    ...and we never saw him again.

I'm here

been thinking of wbb while i've been at school, just haven't logged on.......... I've been getting bigger and lifting everyday (probably not optimal, but i ****ing love it). My weight has shot up to 177.4, but i hurt my leg so i haven't been able to squat that much.... DL i'm going up 5 lbs per week from 315- got 340x3x3 almost with ease last workout (current RM = 365) and 170x2 sets x 3 reps of bench followed by just 170x1 (current RM = 185).

My size has mostly increased, strength has a little bit. I've been sooooooo preoccupied with work and it's been a challenge, but i'm doin real well. My lowest grade on anything has been an 80, and school definitely comes first. Have aspirations of making deans list, getting a 405 DL, and 225 BN this semester... not sure when it ends, but if i hit a 405 DL and 225 BN afterward (it looks hard right now), i won't be disappointed.

House Lannister
    school definitely SHOULD come first, i struggle with that at times.

you'll get a 225 bench for sure, but the end of the semester is closing fast.

how's the squat?

Garage Lifter
    glad to hear everything is progressing well and that you're focusing on the right things
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Glad to see you post an update! It's also good to see that you have your priorities in the right order. Also, that's a nice weight gain from when you started your journal.

Thanks guys! chevelle- you're right in that a 225 bench by the end of the semester will be tough, and probably unrealistic. i'm definitely going to go for it though. I'll probably check my 1RMs pretty soon, maybe after this little 4 day break i have i'll go back and check my Bench/Deadlift

I hurt my quad playing basketball (something i've been doing quite frequently), so i took a 3 week layoff on legs all together. When it felt better, i ran for the first time in probably a year and managed 3 miles in 24 minutes, so that wasn't too bad. I'm going to go up slowly, but steadily on squats.

House Lannister
    Thanks guys! chevelle- you're right in that a 225 bench by the end of the semester will be tough, and probably unrealistic. i'm definitely going to go for it though. I'll probably check my 1RMs pretty soon, maybe after this little 4 day break i have i'll go back and check my Bench/Deadlift

I hurt my quad playing basketball (something i've been doing quite frequently), so i took a 3 week layoff on legs all together. When it felt better, i ran for the first time in probably a year and managed 3 miles in 24 minutes, so that wasn't too bad. I'm going to go up slowly, but steadily on squats.
    I didn't mean to piss on your parade with the bench J. I bet you could still get 225 if you focused on it. Maybe run Madcows just for bench and speed up the cycle some?

Good to see you back J. Layoffs suck I am currently struggling to get my workouts in. Dude running sucks!

I didn't mean to piss on your parade with the bench J. I bet you could still get 225 if you focused on it. Maybe run Madcows just for bench and speed up the cycle some?
    oh, i know it will be hard as hell lol. Most likely won't get it, but its been a goal of mine for some time as has a 405 DL.

Quote Originally Posted by famous636 View Post
    Good to see you back J. Layoffs suck I am currently struggling to get my workouts in. Dude running sucks!
    i have been going real hard lately- probably too hard working out everyday. good luck with your workouts bro!!

good to see you back man, how you liking college?
    those seem like good realistic goals man, you should be good for it with good training

House Lannister
    And more importantly, how's the puss?

I'd like to see a breakdown of your program right now. I'm betting you have the strength to get that 225 bench, but you may be overtrained right now. How much pressing are you doing a week?

Oh, and knock off that running crap haha. . Unless it's sprints I don't think it's helping your gains much.

Quote Originally Posted by Keaffer14 View Post
    good to see you back man, how you liking college?
    those seem like good realistic goals man, you should be good for it with good training
    i'm loving college man! thanks, i'm hoping they come too- the day i DL 4 plates or Bench 2 plates will be the ****ing day.

And more importantly, how's the puss?

I'd like to see a breakdown of your program right now. I'm betting you have the strength to get that 225 bench, but you may be overtrained right now. How much pressing are you doing a week?

Oh, and knock off that running crap haha. . Unless it's sprints I don't think it's helping your gains much.
    the pussy is plentiful... although i've hooked up with 20+ girls, i've only gotten head twice- once in a bathroom stall, and once on a front lawn.. and haven't ****ed anyone here. word gets around real quick at such a small college, so most of my hookups are with girls i don't know, or with girls i know who are hot and i make sure nobody besides my close friends know

I have been training basically everyday.. but don't plan on doing so forever. I'm waiting until i stall out, because as of now this has really been working regardless of what most people generally suggest. I've gotten bigger and stronger, and my diet has been more on par minus alcohol.

I've been doing:

Back/Bis
    Chest/Tris
    Legs
    Shoulders

and deloaded a few times when i knew my body needed a rest.... pressing movements i do are Flat BB (been switching off with DB every other session and adding 5 lbs to BB), Incline DB, Military, and sometimes light decline pressing.

House Lannister
    i'm loving college man! thanks, i'm hoping they come too- the day i DL 4 plates or Bench 2 plates will be the ****ing day.

the pussy is plentiful... although i've hooked up with 20+ girls, i've only gotten head twice- once in a bathroom stall, and once on a front lawn.. and haven't ****ed anyone here. word gets around real quick at such a small college, so most of my hookups are with girls i don't know, or with girls i know who are hot and i make sure nobody besides my close friends know

I have been training basically everyday.. but don't plan on doing so forever. I'm waiting until i stall out, because as of now this has really been working regardless of what most people generally suggest. I've gotten bigger and stronger, and my diet has been more on par minus alcohol.

I've been doing:

Back/Bis
    Chest/Tris
    Legs
    Shoulders

and deloaded a few times when i knew my body needed a rest.... pressing movements i do are Flat BB (been switching off with DB every other session and adding 5 lbs to BB), Incline DB, Military, and sometimes light decline pressing.
    I hear ya on the small college word gettin round thing. You get a reputation fast if you aren't careful. Remember it ain't worth talkin to a girl at the bar til about 1 am, cuz the bar closes at 2 and the last guy that talks with her has the best chance at fking her.

That routine looks decent. Could I see a set/rep breakdown as well as exercises? I'm curious.

House Lannister
    Where you at J?