The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Bgb chins and pullups

Hey um currently on bgb and do weighted wide grip china palms away from mei had to stop due to shoulder pain it was causing...which would e better to do weighted for back developement pullups or chinups? And please correct me if I'm wrong pullups r palms facing me

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Pullups are palms facing away. Chinups are palms facing you.

From what I've read most people tend to prefer pullups, but I get better results from chinups myself (plus they hit your biceps a bit). I would say the best thing you can do is try one for a couple months then the other for a couple months and see what gives you the best results, though if you can't do pullups due to shoulder pain you may have no choice but to do chinups . Though check your form to make sure you're doing the excercise right, as pain is usually an indication of poor form

Wannabebig Member
    will chinups still effectively work my back or is it better to just do pullups
    Quote Originally Posted by greemah View Post

From what I've read most people tend to prefer pullups, but I get better results from chinups myself (plus they hit your biceps a bit). I would say the best thing you can do is try one for a couple months then the other for a couple months and see what gives you the best results, though if you can't do pullups due to shoulder pain you may have no choice but to do chinups . Though check your form to make sure you're doing the excercise right, as pain is usually an indication of poor form

Quote Originally Posted by greemah View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jtj10 View Post
    See bolded portion above. To hit your back the most, I'd go with wide grip pullups. Width between your hands matters more than chins vs. pullups though.
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Old My 5-3-1 Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132576

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by AKMass View Post
    See bolded portion above. To hit your back the most, I'd go with wide grip pullups. Width between your hands matters more than chins vs. pullups though.

No. Grip width matters not at all.

A wide grip does not build a wide back...that's just a myth.

And a wide grip places more stress on your shoulders than a narrow grip. Built (the poster who designed BGB) stated this as well. I believe she even posted some links to this effect.

chinups are better, just do those if they don't hurt your shoulders
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Quote Originally Posted by jtj10 View Post
    Chinups will effectively work your back (they are primarily a lat excercise). I did my 3 sets of weighted chinups yesterday then tried to do some bodyweight pullups and could only do 2 reps (normally I can do 3 sets of about 12 with extra weight).