The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Having it all, Power, Strength, AND the body of an Adonis! - New Article

Size and strength are both highly sought after byproducts of training, but so is looking good with no clothes on!

World Champion Strongman, Mariusz Pudianowski sports a year-round muscular, lean physique Why not you?

Sure he has some of the best genetics about, but if he can be great at both the functional and decorative aspects of strength training, surely you can improve your raw stats as well as shedding bodyfat to an all-time low, right?

Having it all, Power, Strength, AND the body of an Adonis! by Stuart Gatherum

Enjoy and discuss!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? Ė My Training Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Seems like a very good article. I like it alot. This seems to be more along the lines of what I want to do. I consider myself more of a powerlifter, but I don't want to put on alot of fat so I do some cardio type stuff along with a Westside Split. I'll probably incorporate some of the conditioning stuff mentioned in this article in my routine.

Thanks to Stuart.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

My goal is something similar but I just started a program I wrote as follows:

Monday - High Volume:
    Power clean - 5x3
    Bench Press (alternate with OH Press) - 4x10
    Squat - 3x10
    Bicep Isolation 2x10
    Tricep Isolation 2x10

Wednesday - Recovery + Conditioning
    Light Front Squats - 2x5
    Press (alternate with Bench) - 3x8 (LIGHT)
    Chins - 3x8 add weight as necessary
    OH Squats or Jump Squats - 2x5
    Conditioning: Complexes or high intensity circuits

Friday - High Intensity / Max effort

Dead lift - 1x3-5 RM or 5x3 heavy
    Bench Press (alternate with press) 1x3-5 RM or 5x3 heavy.
    Squat - 1x3-5 RM or 5x3 heavy

Alternate the order of the dead lift and squat. If any energy left add in 2 opposing isolation movements.

Just finished my first monday - high volume day and it was good. Follow my training log (in my sig) to see how it goes, if you are curious.
    Last edited by Raleighwood; 03-01-2010 at 02:13 PM.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Quote Originally Posted by Raleighwood View Post
    My goal is something similar but I just started a program I wrote as follows:

Monday - High Volume:
    Power clean - 5x3
    Bench Press (alternate with OH Press) - 4x10
    Squat - 3x10
    Bicep Isolation 2x10
    Tricep Isolation 2x10

Wednesday - Recovery + Conditioning
    Light Front Squats - 2x5
    Press (alternate with Bench) - 3x8 (LIGHT)
    Chins - 3x8 add weight as necessary
    OH Squats or Jump Squats - 2x5
    Conditioning: Complexes or high intensity circuits

Friday - High Intensity / Max effort

Dead lift - 1x3-5 RM or 5x3 heavy
    Bench Press (alternate with press) 1x3-5 RM or 5x3 heavy.
    Squat - 1x3-5 RM or 5x3 heavy

Alternate the order of the dead lift and squat. If any energy left add in 2 opposing isolation movements.

Just finished my first monday - high volume day and it was good. Follow my training log (in my sig) to see how it goes, if you are curious.
    Why do you have bench before squat on Mon and Fri? Just a guess, but would it be to rest your lower back/legs from deadlifts?

Quote Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
    Why do you have bench before squat on Mon and Fri? Just a guess, but would it be to rest your lower back/legs from deadlifts?
    On Monday I power clean before squats because the
    power clean is so dependent on proper technique and explosiveness. If I was to squat prior to them, it would sap important CNS energy needed to preform max power lifts.

Since power cleans use your legs and lower back, I bench next to give me lower back/legs a rest before squatting.

On Friday, depending on if I am going for maximal effort or just high intensity on either DL or squat, I will do whichever first that I am max efforting that day.

Make sense?
    Last edited by Raleighwood; 03-03-2010 at 11:00 AM.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Quote Originally Posted by Raleighwood View Post
    On Monday I power clean before squats because the
    power clean is so dependent on proper technique and explosiveness. If I was to squat prior to them, it would sap important CNS energy needed to preform max power lifts.

Since power cleans use your legs and lower back, I bench next to give me lower back/legs a rest before squatting.

On Friday, depending on if I am going for maximal effort or just high intensity on either DL or squat, I will do whichever first that I am max efforting that day.

Make sense?
    Yeah... I do the same thing with cleans before squats- never knew that until recently but i think it helps me to do cleans more efficiently. also good idea with the bench.

Impressive physique.
    "When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent." T. Platz

LuNa
    Good article. After reading it, i realize even more so that the routine Tom Mutaffis created for me is pure gold. It has similar attributes. If anyone likes this article, but wants a more personalized routine i can highly recommend Tom's Q&A topic.

Great Article. I really just wanted to chime in on how amazing Mariusz Pudianowski is. The man is pure gold. Love watching him compete.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Wannabe Fit.
    Okay, I'll Indulge you for a month. 33 days actually.
    Ill start tomorrow (wednesday) and do it for this week and four full weeks.

Looking forward to it!
    Ill update this thread in 33 days. Thanks!
    "We get stronger by improving our weaknesses" - Detard

So am I getting this right? 3◊5 (build to 5RM), 2◊3RM, 1◊2RM, 2◊1RM for bench, deads, and squats every week? My body aches just reading that. Is this much max work typical in powerlifting routines?
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    So am I getting this right? 3◊5 (build to 5RM), 2◊3RM, 1◊2RM, 2◊1RM for bench, deads, and squats every week? My body aches just reading that. Is this much max work typical in powerlifting routines?
    ...yeah sorry can I just confirm this with you guys:

3x5 (build to 5RM) = 3 sets of 5 reps (working up to a weight that is your 5RM)
    2x3RM = 2 reps of a weight that is your 3RM OR 2 sets of 3 reps of a weight that is your 3RM
    ...etc..

Only asking cos the last set/rep is 2x1RM - which I'm seeing as 2 reps of my 1 rep max...which is impossible otherwise it wouldn't be my 1RM??...or am I being a dumbass!

Thanks.

Wannabebig New Member

Which type of row?

On Friday the routine calls for 1 min max-effort rowing but which type? bodyweight, cable, kettlebell?

My interpretation would be 1 minute max row on a rowing machine like a Concept 2 Rower that mimic rowing in the water not a bodybuilding or Kettlebell exercise.

Wannabebig New Member
    Thank You

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Lol at the powerlifting nutrition part. Sounds almost like how a fat ass would eat. Most powerlifters would look a lot better and keep all their strength if they just put forth some effort into their diet.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

It comes down to the different goals for power lifters and bodybuilder and they eat accordingly. I like the article, but Marius is a FREAK and his stats are probably not attainable for 99.9% of the population. Still, it seems like a good hybrid routine.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Whether or not a lot of power lifters will admit it, if we were all honest with ourselves we do lift somewhat for a better physique. When I first started thats all it was for. Now I lift mainly to compete and move up in power lifting but I do watch my diet, even when I'm eating 5-6,000kcal a day. And it shows in my physique after gaining 30lbs.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Wannabebig New Member

Stu Gatherum

Hi all,

Thanks for the great feedback!

Your absolutely right that we all wanna look better naked! Eating for bodybuilding and powerlifting are just two totally different mentalities is what I was putting across. There seems to be a single-minded almost maniacally focussed approach with BB eating (You would be totally strict too if you were oiling up and donning the smalls they have to wear)

KoSh - Always worth throwing a few of the conditioning drills as substitutes to your own drills and shock your body a little

Mark and off-road - Totally agree. Mariusz is a freak and seemingly 'born' to powerlift and compete. If we all had those capabilities we would all be competing at this level. Its impossible to compare to him (its damn near impossible for other elite trainers!!). Just look to improve your physique and max-out on your potential.

cphafner - You make a really good point. Does this volume of all-out effort really need to be done. The answer in short is, no, probably not. However thats why the program is designed for just a month. Any more and the neural system may suffer but in order to progress we need to overload the body with a greater workload than its used to.

thomasg - Your totally right. Power lifters could definately learn a thing or two about the discipline from diet with bodybuilders. Its a really tough area to be clued up on and takes serious dedication to the cause.

Loving the feedback and discussions guys, keep it going

Stu

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by StuGatherum View Post
    Hi all,
    cphafner - You make a really good point. Does this volume of all-out effort really need to be done. The answer in short is, no, probably not. However thats why the program is designed for just a month. Any more and the neural system may suffer but in order to progress we need to overload the body with a greater workload than its used to.
    Hi Stu. So this is only meant to be followed for a month then? Because I too saw that amount of maxing and thought bloody hell, this is some serious work. How frequently would you suggest using this program and do you have any general recommendations for what kind of routine to go back to when you come off it?

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Hi Stu. So this is only meant to be followed for a month then? Because I too saw that amount of maxing and thought bloody hell, this is some serious work. How frequently would you suggest using this program and do you have any general recommendations for what kind of routine to go back to when you come off it?
    Yeah. I shouldve made that more clear. Id probably cycle this kind of volume of work in every 3-4months as a 1 month cycle and see the strength boost from it.

Id then go back to what your main focus is. If its hypertrophy go back to a mass gaining program but maybe keep the conditioning circuits once or twice a week to keep your body in a higher metabolic state and if its strength then focus on that.

Definitely you can use dumbbells. There is obviously a difference in so far as how the weight is distributed but you can swing, clean and press and snatch a dumbbell.

Have a look at my website also for some videos on dumbbell complexes for fat loss that you can include if kettlebells arent an option

Thanks stu. I missed that it was for one month. Makes sense to me then.

If you don't have access to kettles would dumbbells work as an alternative?
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

This looks relatively similar to the CrossFit Strength Bias
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

some say it's no secrete, train like powerlifter/ strongman, eat like bber.
    I heard Matt Kroc say that he follows fairly strict diet and that's why he looks the way he does.

has anyone interviewed Pudz or KK? be interesting to hear what they have to say on this.

Wannabebig New Member

Interviewing Pudz

I would love to interview Pudz regarding his thoughts on hybrid programs and to maybe profile a day in his life.

With any luck that might be my next article assignment lol