Thread: Peaking/Tapering for Meets

Peaking/Tapering for Meets

I've decided that I'm going to lift in my first meet on April 18th in Detroit at the AAPF Raw Nationals. So I've been thinking about how I will train leading into the meet and this is what I have so far. I have 7 weeks left, so I plan on training pretty much as normal for the next 3 weeks. Then for the last 4 weeks I'm thinking of the following:

Week 4: Work up to about 95% of my goal for the meet in all 3 lifts (I plan to open at 90%).

Week 3: 60% for 3 sets of 8 for squat and bench. Speed deads for 10 sets of 1 at 60%.

Week 2: 2-3 sets of singles at about 85%.

Week 1: DE bench and light squats on Tuesday. A couple of light warm-up sets for bench and squat on Saturday at the venue. Gameday on Sunday.

Any input or advice is greatly appreciated.

Take a week off before the meet, and don't lift the day before
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Dr. Subtotal
    Opening at 90% is a good plan, especially if your form is spot on. Smashing your first lifts in your first meet is a great way to boost your confidence so some even select a weight they can do a decent triple for.

I'd take it easy the week of the meet, perhaps doing some sets of the competition lifts at 70% or below five to six days out...not much volume, but enough to have some frequency in to keep your form dialed in. Then shut it down and rest for the week. Take some walks and do some light warmup stuff to keep the blood moving. Many beginners freak out the week or two before the meet, especially if they're overtrained and not hitting big weights, so they try to overcompensate by putting more plates on....typically, this doesn't end well.

As for peaking/tapering, alot of it depends on how you've pretty much trained for several weeks before where you're at as well. Prileprin's table provides some decent guidelines as far as selecting volume/intensity. Toward a meet, especially your first, I'd think lifting to perfect your form is as important as it gets. That's why I'd maybe go with more sets at a higher intensity in week 3. Then perhaps work the intensity down in week 2 (while adding a small bit more in volume). By doing this, your form should be spot on come meet day and you shouldn't be burnt out. Nothing worse than going to a meet, trying to unrack some squat warmups, and you feel like crap and your warmups look the same.

Other than that, just go over all the rules one more time before you get to the meet and ask any questions you have and have some fun hitting some PRs. Even if you do 50 meets in your life, you always remember the first one lol.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

I would switch weeks 2 and 3. No need to go 85% 2 weeks out. othe rthen that looks good.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Wannabebig Member
    I'd take the last week off. If your meet is Saturday, maybe come in Monday or Tuesday and work light. Rest & Eat!

Good luck.

Make week 2 80% and no lifting on the Saturday before the meet on Sunday. Keep active during that last week. On that last Tuesday I would not do DE work or put weight on a squat bar. Do some bodyweight squats, a few sets of light pushdowns, pulldowns, face pulls. Just get a little blood flowing. Also, try to walk everyday, just get some kind of movment in. I find sitting around waiting for a meet makes me sluggish.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Thanks for the replies. I definitely have some good ideas now and will be making some modifications to this plan.

I'm thinking 4 weeks out will be 95%+. 3 weeks out I'll work up to and finalize my openers which will be about 90% on all the lifts. 2 weeks out I'll drop to about 80%. Then nothing the week of the meet except walking the dog and maybe just some light stuff like Vincent recommended. I'll also taper down all of my assistance work during this time and focus mostly on the competition lifts. Thanks again.