Thread: Exercises you really see a difference with

Exercises you really see a difference with

I have seen people on this board that their lateral delts really got big when they did side lateral raises, and that their traps really got big after starting to deadlift. I was just curious are there any lifts people noticed really made in impact on a particular muscle?

Deads and squats made everything grow. I wish I would have known how important they are 10 years ago.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

sumo Dead-lifts, rack-pulls, squats, bench press, bent-over rows, weighted chin-ups/pull-ups made all the difference for me.

Deadlifts and squats are the big two though!

Banned
    Squats and deads obviously...

But high repetition pullups and pendlay rows have made a huge difference in my back growth.

+1 for pullups... I would have no back without them. Not that I really have one now.
    Last edited by jed; 03-08-2010 at 01:14 PM.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    Squats and deads obviously...

But high repetition pullups and pendlay rows have made a huge difference in my back growth.
    hey how much did you weigh when you first started out at 6'5" (I'm also 6'5" but only weight 215lbs). Do you have any advice for a tall guy like me who wants to reach 230 lbs. (like meal timing...what to eat for breakfast/before going to bed). Right now, I'm trying to eat 5/6 meals per day with at least 25g of protein per meal.
    Last edited by SirPhil; 03-08-2010 at 01:16 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SirPhil View Post
    hey how much did you weigh when you first started out at 6'5" (I'm also 6'5" but only weight 215lbs). Do you have any advice for a tall guy like me who wants to reach 230 lbs. (like meal timing...what to eat for breakfast/before going to bed). Right now, I'm trying to eat 5/6 meals per day with at least 25g of protein per meal.
    I started 3 years ago and I was 195 pounds. I basically stayed the same weight for the entire first year but still gained a lot of strength (went from 135 bench to 185 bench). I then found this forum after a year of ****ing around and found out you have to basically eat until you are about to puke to jump start that weight gain. I basically binge ate the first 3-4 months and had two n-large shakes a day mixed with milk....I went from 195 to about 210ish...Was still really thin though. Took a few months off of binge eating and recomped my body, then decided I wanted 10 more pounds. Again, had to basically eat all day to a level of discomfort and the weight came. Got to 220 and just lifted at slightly above maintenance calories to recomp my body and shed some of the fat....hit a plateau and decided I wanted to gain more weight so I did the same thing until 229-230 which is where I sit now. I am currently slow bulking to 240 with shakes only because I refuse to stuff my face like I did to gain that initial weight. I guess you can say I wanted it a lot more when I was 195 because of how painfully skinny I was. I cant put myself through that again though, so as long as I am progressing on my lifts, I can wait patiently this time for the weight gain. So my cycle was basically:

1) Binge eat 3-4 months, gain X pounds
    2) Eat at slightly above maintenance for a couple of months and just keep progressing on my lifts
    3) Hit plateau on all 3 lifts
    4) Repeat steps 1-3 until desired weight

What really helped me was the shakes and milk...especially right before bed. Those first 10 pounds are the hardest though man...You just have to eat that extra piece of chicken when you are already full.

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    I started 3 years ago and I was 195 pounds. I basically stayed the same weight for the entire first year but still gained a lot of strength (went from 135 bench to 185 bench). I then found this forum after a year of ****ing around and found out you have to basically eat until you are about to puke to jump start that weight gain. I basically binge ate the first 3-4 months and had two n-large shakes a day mixed with milk....I went from 195 to about 210ish...Was still really thin though. Took a few months off of binge eating and recomped my body, then decided I wanted 10 more pounds. Again, had to basically eat all day to a level of discomfort and the weight came. Got to 220 and just lifted at slightly above maintenance calories to recomp my body and shed some of the fat....hit a plateau and decided I wanted to gain more weight so I did the same thing until 229-230 which is where I sit now. I am currently slow bulking to 240 with shakes only because I refuse to stuff my face like I did to gain that initial weight. I guess you can say I wanted it a lot more when I was 195 because of how painfully skinny I was. I cant put myself through that again though, so as long as I am progressing on my lifts, I can wait patiently this time for the weight gain. So my cycle was basically:

1) Binge eat 3-4 months, gain X pounds
    2) Eat at slightly above maintenance for a couple of months and just keep progressing on my lifts
    3) Hit plateau on all 3 lifts
    4) Repeat steps 1-3 until desired weight

What really helped me was the shakes and milk...especially right before bed. Those first 10 pounds are the hardest though man...You just have to eat that extra piece of chicken when you are already full.
    wow lol thanks a lot man. I guess I will basically eat more until I feel full at every meal.

High rep deadlifts had big impact on overall thickness of my body.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I really have no idea. This is a very tough question to answer. It really is the consistency and constant dedication to giving every session my 100% effort that has made the difference. I train all the major compound lifts, including some oly lifts and some iso's as well. I also do things in my MMA class that I have no clue what the hell it is doing to me, but it trains muscles that I never knew I had....

It's a mix of all of it, and sticking with it that really made the difference.

That, and tricep kickbacks.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SirPhil View Post
    wow lol thanks a lot man. I guess I will basically eat more until I feel full at every meal.
    Until you are full and then one more piece . Lifting is the easy part for me...stuffing enough calories in is the annoying part.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 03-08-2010 at 02:16 PM.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    l feel like Deadlifts make everything better. Girlfriend broke up with you? Go do some Deadlifts. Failed your math exam? Go do some Deadlifts. Wannabebig? DEFINITELY go do some Deadlifts!
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 03-08-2010 at 04:15 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    High rep deadlifts had big impact on overall thickness of my body.
    High reps as in 8 instead of 5 or more like 12? And is this replacing the lower reps or in addition to? Just asking as I have a wide but thin back and have always did 1x5 deads once a week. I tend to respond better with 8 rep lifts though so maybe that would be better with deads also

And to answer the ops question: chin ups and BO lat raises brought the largest most noticible and quick gains for me.

Quote Originally Posted by greemah View Post
    High reps as in 8 instead of 5 or more like 12? .
    High reps as in 15 to 20, holding the weight at the top position (lockout) while catching your breath. Never pause at the bottom for more than a second so you are holding the weight in hand for long periods of time.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    ...and tricep kickbacks.
    Last edited by jed; 03-08-2010 at 06:47 PM.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

I really noticed that squats and dumbbell lunges have put some size on my legs.

Rack Chins for increasing one bodypart. Back became a lot wider after doing these. Glute Ham Raises for just an overall way to improve everything. My squats and deads are stronger, I feel more explosive since I started doing these.