The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar

Only going ~90 degrees on pressing movements?

I have been in and out of many different commercial gyms over the last 10 years or so. I am curious how many people on this board do their pressing movements 90 degrees or less? Basically, I ALWAYS, ALWAYS see people benching, DB pressing, OH pressing, etc. and only going down until their lower and upper arm hit 90 degrees(or sometimes even less) and then press back up. Some of these people are total newbs, some don't look like anything impressive and yet others are older lifters who have obviously put their time in and some that are just completely yoked up. I realize there is a million different ways to train and perform exercises, but what is everyone's motivation for doing this...other than the ego boost? It's funny when people say they bench or press "XXX" amount of weight and yet it is like they are doing a rack lockout or board press. Also, keep squats out of this thread, I could go on and on for days about what I have seen with those in the gyms I have been to. This is about upper body movements only.

Discuss.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

There was a post about this a couple of days ago. Some of the "bodybuilder" types believe they will keep constant tension on the muscles with this technique (shortened range of motion). Also, like you said, some people boost their ego with it too. For the record, I believe in using a full range of motion.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I hear people say that all the time, don't go down all the way or you will hurt your shoulders. Whatever works best for your goals while keeping you injury free is the way to go. I notice that Ronnie Coleman uses a pretty good range of motion while keeping tension on the muscle during the entire set. Like in this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdEgJnPy4wM
    Last edited by ELmx479; 03-04-2010 at 06:08 AM.

None of my friends who do it have a good reason...I think they just see other people at the gym do it and think that if everyone is doing it, that must be the right way.

I perform at full range of motion because I would like to compete one day and you have to hit chest to count. Even if I wasn't wanting to compete, it would be a pride thing too because my PLing friends would bust my balls if I didn't go all the way down to chest.

I agree with you about seeing people who are yoked doing stupid things. There are a couple of guys (read: bros) at the Y I train at and all they do is half reps and talk and yet they have the upper body of Greek gods. (Won't comment on lower body since we are supposed to stay away from the squat topic...)
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

Save your shoulders! 90 degrees is a little high, but most people's shoulder joints can't take much more than a 70-80 degree extension under heavy weight. You may get better results from a full ROM, its a matter of how much risk you want to take.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

It depends on the reasoning, most don't have one. However narrow torso'd individuals especially those with long limbs are going to put their shoulders in extreme end range of motion to get the bar/dbell to chest/shoulders, and the moment of the force (the weight x it's perpendicular distance from it's point of application ie. the distance from the hand to the shoulder) is going to be greater in these individuals - so higher forces on compromised joints; not good.

If you plan on competing in powelifting tough, but judicious reduction in range of motion in high risk individuals not competing is warranted.

The main reason is shoulder injury prevention. Also the whole constant tension thing. Its preached in the BB world that there is no reason or extra benefit in going past 90' when it comes to building muscle size. Being a powerlifter also, I obviously dont train this way, but I have back in the day and also train occassionally with people who do. The thing that gets me is when someone says they can bench say 315, but only descend to about 2 board height...well no you cant bench that much, you just use that much in your training. Theres a huge difference there. Just an example, Dave Tate no longer benches to the chest to help prevent any more shoulder injury.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

I am a tall lifter, I always go to chest. I take care of my shoulders, I stretch with dowels before/after benching, I do dynamic warm-ups EVERY time I lift and I see a chiropractor when joints get stuck. I have never had a shoulder injury (I don't bench big numbers though, and I don't bench a lot). I think as long as one takes care of their shoulders, understand the anatomy and mechanics of the shoulders and doesn't build their shoulders disproportionately, there is very little risk of injury from benching. 100% ROM, within your limits, that is my two cents.

Unfortunately, the anatomy and mechanics of the shoulders is precisely why heavy benching with a long ROM can be dangerous for the joint.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx View Post
    Unfortunately, the anatomy and mechanics of the shoulders is precisely why heavy benching with a long ROM can be dangerous for the joint.
    This is true to a point, but unfortunately most people don't bench with correct technique. If someone wants to reduce the ROM and reduce shoulder strain they could simply learn to set-up correctly, arch, and tuck the elbows slightly to accomplish this. This would also provide an objective standard for a complete rep rather than trying to estimate if you are at 90 degrees in the middle of the set. I think this is a better solution for maintaining shoulder health than stopping at some arbitrary point in the ROM for those who don't have a history of shoulder problems.
    For those with a history of significant shoulder problems or those limiting the ROM for some other reason, this may not apply.