The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Posture help

Wannabebig New Member

Posture help

I've been lifting for about 1and 2 weeks months now. I researched when I first began for back lifts and have chosen bent over barbell rows, dead lifts, pull-ups (machine because I can only complete 1-2...weak and just starting out obviously)...3 sets each, moderate weight, 8-12 reps.

My thing is, other that being weak and out of shape (5'7, 170 pounds/gut weight), is bad posture...I hunch. I know I've only been lifting for a short time now and I realize it's still early to notice results.

What can I do to improve this?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I have the exact same problem as you, which I'm still trying to correct.

From what I've been told, you need to first sit, walk, and everything else with a good posture. You need to pull back your shoulders and try to stay like that. And second, stretch your chest every day.

Take a look at this thread:

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...all-Rear-Delts...
    Last edited by Pure Water; 03-03-2010 at 10:19 PM.

Do some research into Alexander Technique. I've known people that found an instructor and it made a world of difference REALLY fast.

One of the exercises is a mental one. Imagine a piece of string that connects to the base of your spine and runs all the way up to the top. The top of your spine is at the base of your skull. Grab that imaginary string and pull yourself upright. It sounds stupid but it works. I've tried it with friends and it never fails to get them to stand up straight.

Another one is to stand against a wall. Your heels, butt, shoulder blades, and the back of your head should be the points of contact with the wall and you should be able to get your forearm between the small of your back and the wall. If your lumbar spine is touching the wall, you're slouching. Stand like that for a minute or so a few times a day. Eventually, you'll adjust. Constantly monitor your behavior and, if you notice you're slouching, walk over to the wall and do it. Become self-correcting.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Wannabebig New Member
    Thanks for the responses.

Another question: If this is due to my chest being tight and my back being weaker, should lay off on the chest workout, not cut it out, but just do a maintain workout for chest to give time to correct this and strengthen my back?

Keep doing rows, pullups and DLs. They, in themselves, will likely cure your bad posture. Also, work on your flexibility... that should help too.
    Sarvamangalam!