Thread: Extreme Over Training Help

Extreme Over Training Help

Okay, so I have this friend of mine who is literally addicted to weight lifting. He does a full body work out, twice a day, 4-5 days a week. My friend and I have tried telling him how bad it is for his body, and he actually agrees but like I said, he's addicted. The craziest part is that he continues to make gains despite the lack of rest. He takes protein, creatine, and a mass gainer at times, but I don't think any form of supplement could counter act the lack of rest his muscles are receiving. I need some good advice and possibly some statistics that could try and make him "see the light" because I think his body will eventually fall apart.

Thanks
    BW: 165lbs
    Bench: 235
    Squat: ??
    Deadlift: ??

Wannabebig Member
    if he is making gains and is enjoying what he is doing, why stop him?

Banned
    What does his routine look like? If he is a new lifter it is unlikely he can be putting much intensity into anything and still train that frequently. Challenge him to do a strength routine for a month or two just three times a week but with gut-busting intensity and he might see that his lifts increase far more rapidly. The enjoyment of seeing his strength rocket might make him see things from another angle. There is nothing wrong per se, with working out frequently, you've just got to know your own body and what is optimal for it.

Quote Originally Posted by accrane View Post
    if he is making gains and is enjoying what he is doing, why stop him?
    agreed. However, if he's as reckless as you're describing him as, it might hurt in the long run if his diet isn't good and if he isn't taking all those supps.

For now, if he's making gains then he's not going to stop regardless of what you tell him because it's working fo rhim.

If he is eatting, resting, and eating properly he may or may not be over training. If he is making gains and enjoying it why stop!!!! Myself i workout with a extreme amount of volume and personally i think it is hard to over train, your body where you get sick, stay sore etc will let you know when its time for a break. Your body can and will adapt to what ever kind of training you throw at it.
    height: 6' weight offseason 220lbs bodybuilding: 10 years
    2009 contests
    IFPA CAPE COD 3rd place heavy
    IFPA YORTON CUP 2nd place heavy
    NPC ElITE CLASSIC 1st heavy (overall Winner)

TRAINING LOG http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131702

ATLARGE NUTRITION- YOUR #1 CHOICE FOR BODYBUILDING SPORTS SUPPLEMENTS

i know this fat guy at the gym.. just started coming recently but he's a tough ass marine veteran. Anyways he does mostly cardio but for lifting he does this thing where he takes a deck of cards and whatever card he pulls he does that for reps. Of course the 2's becomes 20's or something like that. But he does a lot of low weight lifts takes a 45lb bar for curling...does 20 curls then puts the bar up for shoulder presses then switches to overhead tricep extensions. Anyways he does this EVERYDAY and works up a hell of a sweat doing it.. (seriously its like buckets) but hell if he isnt recovering and making gains. I was suprised as hell when he hopped on the bench and banged out a few (really crap form) 365lb reps.

I guess to each his own.. if hes doing well leave him at it. But he might be better off switching to once a day or less or at least alternating things

A lot of people think I train too hard as well and I rarely feel overtrained.

I think some people acclimate better to extreme training than others.

Honestly, if he's physically able to do a full body routine 2 times a day, 4-5 times a week, he's not working super hard to begin with.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Let him enjoy it while it lasts.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    Let him enjoy it while it lasts.
    Agreed. If hes making gains and feeling good, hes not overtraining
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

He's definitely not a beginner, he has a couple years of experience. I really don't know about his routine, but he always lifts heavy. His diet is pretty normal outside the supplements. He eats like a normal person. I understand the point of why stop him if he's making gains, but I just thought that two hard full body workouts in one day 4-5 days a week would be detrimental in the long run. I don't know, I guess I'll let it go.
    BW: 165lbs
    Bench: 235
    Squat: ??
    Deadlift: ??

My best friend has little man syndrome, he is a seasoned athlete (division 1 college hockey/golden gloves champ)... back in the day when we boxed together, he would train like this, but also run/swim between lifting, and hardly keep the food intake adequate. I used to preach to him, rest more, eat more, train smarter, your training too hard, he never listened. 5 Years later, still trains this way, freakiest athlete I know (not in terms of strength and size but pure athleticism) and he is a paramilitary rescue officer... what is my point? Some people are stubborn, they KNOW what is best for them, they don't give a f*** about your advice or criticisms. Eventually, they will either see the light, or they're a genetic oddity and their body can sustain this kind of training, like my example. My advice; train with him. Sounds like a guy like this might make a good training partner.