The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

Deadlift - starting position question

Using something like Andy Bolton's 457.5kg deadlift as reference here:

Video

Is that a good distance to have your butt off the ground before you start? I tend to start with my butt quite a bit lower and then drive with my legs throughout the lift. Is it more efficient doing it the way Andy does it here, with the legs not even being very bent at starting position? Or is it different for everyone? I just want to be able to deadlift the most weight possible haha.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 03-04-2010 at 12:38 AM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    It is different for everyone depending on their leverages. Generally speaking, most people will deadlift the most weight starting with their hips a bit higher, rather than lower. Most times you see a powerlifter pull a huge weight, you will think "man, he kinda did a SLDL there". Usually when someone sinks their hips way down low to start a "heavy" pull, the hips will shoot up first without the bar moving and then the back will follow. This is a lot of wasted effort, hence why it would be optimal to start with the hips a bit higher. Anyone can do a "proper" deadlift with the hips way down and back perfectly flat and everything locking out at the same time, etc. when they are pulling a warmup, but once you are getting near a max pull this is not the case.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rodgers View Post
    It is different for everyone depending on their leverages. Generally speaking, most people will deadlift the most weight starting with their hips a bit higher, rather than lower. Most times you see a powerlifter pull a huge weight, you will think "man, he kinda did a SLDL there". Usually when someone sinks their hips way down low to start a "heavy" pull, the hips will shoot up first without the bar moving and then the back will follow. This is a lot of wasted effort, hence why it would be optimal to start with the hips a bit higher. Anyone can do a "proper" deadlift with the hips way down and back perfectly flat and everything locking out at the same time, etc. when they are pulling a warmup, but once you are getting near a max pull this is not the case.
    Bump
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Ah thanks. So, ideally would it be "best" to be able to start somewhat low and try to save the leg drive for the end of the lift when the back is vertical-izing and locking out? Or should I just conform to this typical position of starting with higher hips?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

I do it how Rippetoe explains in Starting Strength...

Bar over middle of the foot. ~1.5-2inches from the shins. Bend at hips and grasp the bar. Slightly sink the ass until the shins are in contact with the bar.

Your shoulders are past the bar so that the scapula (shoulder blade) is directly vertical to the bar, which is directly vertical to the middle foot. Squeeze the bar off the floor, rather than jerking it.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."