Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37

Thread: Raw Power! (Copyed from MD forums)

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member bigjeff87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Tampa, Fl
    Posts
    0

    Raw Power! (Copyed from MD forums)

    To settle a small debate brewing in the Powerlifting/Strongman section, I thought I'd post 3 videos and see what everyone thought represents the true test of raw power. ( This was a topic discussed in Muscular Developement forums as well).

    1st is the World Record raw deadlift.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh-ikyBAQr8


    2nd is the World Record snatch.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOE-PZJq2sk


    3rd is the Atlas Stone event from the last World's Strongest man.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1MHQRGef5s


    My position is a raw, conventional-stance deadlift is the best measure of pure, raw power because it requires only that.

    Olympic lifting and Strongman require raw power, plus other factors (athleticism, coordination, conditioning, flexibility, etc.).

    Vote and discuss.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator vdizenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5,370
    I think it's the bench press.


    Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

    My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

    "The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

  3. #3
    JERSEY IRON Brian C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    5,394
    Id say the deadlift. Bend over and pick something up. Its the most basic test of strength thats been used forever.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

    Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

  4. #4
    Westside Bencher Travis Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Westside Barbell, OH
    Posts
    8,920
    Everyone has their own opinion.

    Not sure you can convince them of once over the other.

    On opinion issues like this, there is no right answer


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

  5. #5
    Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    LI,NY
    Posts
    9,266
    That deadlift wasn't raw! He used those ginormous bumbs growing out of his back! Cheater!!
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    At a slight angle to the universe
    Posts
    1,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Everyone has their own opinion.

    Not sure you can convince them of once over the other.

    On opinion issues like this, there is no right answer
    Try telling that to the keyboard warriors on youtube. Some of the comments on those videos are ****ing ridiculous.

  7. #7
    Wannabebig Member bigjeff87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Tampa, Fl
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Try telling that to the keyboard warriors on youtube. Some of the comments on those videos are ****ing ridiculous.
    very true! most of those people are clowns!

  8. #8
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    26
    I'd say the raw total is the best measure of pure strength.

  9. #9
    Wannabebig Member bigjeff87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Tampa, Fl
    Posts
    0
    [QUOTE=patos;2302803]I'd say the raw total is the best measure of pure strength.[/QU

    ok but try to talk about one lift....Like one of the three that I had named...

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    737
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Try telling that to the keyboard warriors on youtube. Some of the comments on those videos are ****ing ridiculous.
    Thats another reason I don't like videos posted on the internet. Too many dumbasses claiming to have a clue.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

    Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

    The next stop: PRO total.

    HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

  11. #11
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Everyone has their own opinion.

    Not sure you can convince them of once over the other.

    On opinion issues like this, there is no right answer
    That's not true. There is subjective opinion and then objective fact. Jeff is correct with his statements. The deadlift tests absolute strength better than the other two movements by its nature. The Olympic lifts require skill in the movement to a much greater degree than deadlifting, and stone lifting is limited by the awkward nature of the stone itself.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  12. #12
    Senior Member Jorge Sanchez's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,607
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    That's not true. There is subjective opinion and then objective fact. Jeff is correct with his statements. The deadlift tests absolute strength better than the other two movements by its nature. The Olympic lifts require skill in the movement to a much greater degree than deadlifting, and stone lifting is limited by the awkward nature of the stone itself.
    Strictly speaking, since power is a function of work performed in a given amount of time, I'd guess the snatch objectively produces more power than the deadlift. But I'm sure you're right that the deadlift is a better test of raw strength.

    Regardless, those are all incredible feats of strength and athleticism.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

  13. #13
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    Strictly speaking, since power is a function of work performed in a given amount of time, I'd guess the snatch objectively produces more power than the deadlift. But I'm sure you're right that the deadlift is a better test of raw strength.

    Regardless, those are all incredible feats of strength and athleticism.
    Actually, they are probably pretty close, but he wasn't using the word power intending that definition and that much was clear with his post.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,007
    Ill go with the conventional deadlift. Only b/c my bench sucks right now lol
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

    Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

    Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

  15. #15
    Senior Member kingkong51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Atmore, AL
    Posts
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    Ill go with the conventional deadlift. Only b/c my bench sucks right now lol
    LOL the Squat because my deadlift sucks
    Best Raw Squatter and Sponsored by the Best AtLarge Nutrition, Titan, and APT.

  16. #16
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    21
    fwiw, in milo 2.1, lyn jones shows a table showing the jerk as having the highest power output (5400 watts), the deadlift & squat both having 1100 watts. so from that it would seem the olympic lifts have the higest power, & he says the powerlifts have the highest strength or force production.

  17. #17
    Senior Member IronDiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    593
    Quote Originally Posted by kingkong51 View Post
    LOL the Squat because my deadlift sucks
    +1 lol
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    737
    Quote Originally Posted by kingkong51 View Post
    LOL the Squat because my deadlift sucks
    Yup, I'm with you on that one.

    Squat is first, followed by bench press, then maybe the strict curl, then standing calf raise, then the deadlift.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

    Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

    The next stop: PRO total.

    HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by JK1 View Post
    Yup, I'm with you on that one.

    Squat is first, followed by bench press, then maybe the strict curl, then standing calf raise, then the deadlift.
    you gotta be kidding? standing calf raise?? that shouldn't even be mentioned in this forum.

  20. #20
    Become Unbreakable Mark!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dallas Area, TX
    Posts
    3,628
    Quote Originally Posted by JK1 View Post
    Yup, I'm with you on that one.

    Squat is first, followed by bench press, then maybe the strict curl, then standing calf raise, then the deadlift.
    I'm waiting for the "Just kidding" part...

    I'm gonna go with dead lift for single lift, but I'm a fan of the big 3 total.
    "Light Weight"

    260's by May

  21. #21
    Bad Attitude Gym AdamBAG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    986
    I've got to say that I compete in powerlifting and love it. I'm also a big fan of Oly lifting and Strongman. They are all different sports! Why compare one to the other?!?! There are brutal strong guys in all of the sports!
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

    Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

    Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

    Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

  22. #22
    Senior Member Magilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    63
    curls !!
    Stats: (11/1/2009)
    Ht: 6'1"
    Weight 250#

  23. #23
    Senior Member Cyrus Ford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    139
    That's a tough one because I started out as a bench only lifter, and of course I will favor the bench more than the other lifts. With that said, I am trying to become a three lift powerlifter so I am definitely gaining respect for the squat and deadlift because they kick my butt. Out of the three you mentioned I choose the bench press.

  24. #24
    Senior Member Cyrus Ford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus Ford View Post
    That's a tough one because I started out as a bench only lifter, and of course I will favor the bench more than the other lifts. With that said, I am trying to become a three lift powerlifter so I am definitely gaining respect for the squat and deadlift because they kick my butt. Out of the three you mentioned I choose the bench press.
    Oops, I got so caught up with bench press I said bench press instead of DL. I meant to say out of the three you mentioned I choose the deadlift. Bench was't even a choice, lol.

    I never snatched or did the stones so I cannot compare.
    Last edited by Cyrus Ford; 03-04-2010 at 07:34 PM.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    703
    All those vids are very, very impressive... however, if I had to choose its got to be the DL baby!

    That raw DL w/ no belt by KK is pure strength... I've seen it so many times and each time it like "whoaa"... Unbelievable!
    RC

Similar Threads

  1. MMA Forums
    By Maki Riddington in forum General Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-05-2005, 04:03 PM
  2. New to forums, looking for help.
    By dstruktiv in forum Members' Pics and Videos
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-31-2003, 08:46 AM
  3. New to the WBB Forums
    By SkunkedBeer in forum General Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-12-2003, 12:53 PM
  4. Other forums ?
    By Narinder in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-18-2002, 08:34 AM
  5. Olympic lifts (Power clean, power presses, etc) how to do (form)
    By Thadon in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-11-2001, 01:49 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •