Thread: Squat question, help appreciated

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar

Squat question, help appreciated

So I've noticed that when I get done with a set I experience pain in my hips.
    Any ideas on why this might be?
    Do I need to warm up more? Am I possible moving more laterally during the lift than I should? Stance too wide/too narrow? I have really long legs and a pretty short torso if that makes any kind of difference...

Obviously it's not possible to give me a 100% accurate diagnosis without seeing what I look like when I squat but any things I should be watching for or doing the next time I get into the rack are greatly appreciated.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

i am not too experienced, but have you been doing dynamic stretching? I had hip pain about 2 months ago and it really began to subside when i started doing a lot of dynamic stretching. Squatting heavy also felt much easier after warming up properly.

Be more specific about your pain. Saying your "hips" hurt can mean a bunch things. Does it feel muscular or is it in the joint itself? Is it in the front or back or side? What specific motions cause pain? Can you lift your legs to the front, side, back without pain? Is it in the groin area or outside of the hip?
    Of course it won't hurt to try and do a more extensive dynamic warm-up prior to squatting, but it's hard to give any more specific advice without more specifics about where you are experiencing pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean S View Post
    Be more specific about your pain. Saying your "hips" hurt can mean a bunch things. Does it feel muscular or is it in the joint itself? Wish I could give a better answer, but I'm not 100% sure, the whole area hurtsIs it in the front or back or side? The sideWhat specific motions cause pain? It's when I get done squatting and start walking to the drinking fountain, I don't notice any pain during the actual exercise, but I'm also usually so focused I probably wouldn't notice it even if I was in pain Can you lift your legs to the front, side, back without pain? It seems to be worse if I move them to the side, but I get discomfort just from walking Is it in the groin area or outside of the hip? Outside
    Of course it won't hurt to try and do a more extensive dynamic warm-up prior to squatting, but it's hard to give any more specific advice without more specifics about where you are experiencing pain.
    Answers bolded.

Starting Current

That narrows it down a little bit. I would recommend you work on foam rolling the IT band, piriformis, and the glutes. You might also get a hard ball like a lacrosse ball or softball to get some of the areas around the piriformis. I would also do some IT band stretching using some type of band. Some internet searching should show you how to do all these things. I know the guy from Jumpstretch bands has several band stretching videos on Youtube that show some of the IT band stretches. I would do these things daily and you may include them in your warm-up before you squat.
    Based on your description it's hard to tell exactly what's going on, but the things I mentioned should cover some of the usual suspects. If you do this stuff for a while and it doesn't help, you might need to see a professional to diagnose the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean S View Post
    That narrows it down a little bit. I would recommend you work on foam rolling the IT band, piriformis, and the glutes. You might also get a hard ball like a lacrosse ball or softball to get some of the areas around the piriformis. I would also do some IT band stretching using some type of band. Some internet searching should show you how to do all these things. I know the guy from Jumpstretch bands has several band stretching videos on Youtube that show some of the IT band stretches. I would do these things daily and you may include them in your warm-up before you squat.
    Based on your description it's hard to tell exactly what's going on, but the things I mentioned should cover some of the usual suspects. If you do this stuff for a while and it doesn't help, you might need to see a professional to diagnose the problem.
    Excellent thanks.

I know it's kind of hard to tell exactly what the problem was, but I was hoping that there would be some hopefully obvious solutions.

In the past I usually have just warmed up with the weight of the bar and some stretching, but I have never done foam rolling because up until this point, it appears I didn't have to.

Starting Current