Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strongman Training for Maximum Hypertrophy by Tom Mutaffis - New Article!

Wannabebig New Member
    Hi Tom,

Great article, i've been looking for something like this for a while now as new to the sport and keen to find a good balance between bodybuilding and strongman.

I've come up with a routine that i think will work for me focused on using 5x5 for my main compound gym lifts.

Week 1,

Monday

Incline Bench 5x5
    Overhead Press 5x5
    DB Flyes 4x 8-12
    Shrugs 4x10
    Close Grip Bench 4x6
    Pressdown 4x12

Tuesday
    Squats 5x5
    Deficit Deadlift 5x5
    Calf Raises 4x10
    Good mornings 4x10

Thurs
    Barbell Row 5x5
    Pulldown 4x8-10 1xdrop set
    Inc DB Curls x 4 sets
    21ís x 1 set

Week 2

Mon
    Incline Bench 5x5
    Overhead Press 5x5
    DB Flyes 4x 8-12
    Shrugs 4x10
    Close Grip Bench 4x6
    Pressdown 4x12

Tues
    Deadlift 5x5
    Front Squats 5x5
    Calf Raises 4x10
    Good mornings 4x10

Thurs
    Barbell Row 5x5
    Pulldown 4x10 1xdrop set
    Inc DB Curls
    21ís

Week 3

Mon
    Incline Bench 5x5
    Barbell Row 5x5
    Pulldown 4x10 1xdrop set
    Flyes 4x8-12
    Pullovers 4x12

Tue
    Power Cleans
    Jump Squat
    Power Snatch
    Rest

Thurs
    Shrugs 4x10
    Close Grip Bench 4x6
    Incline DB Curls 4x6-10
    Bicep/Tricep superset x5

Week 4 will be the same as week 2 and week 5 will re start at week 1. Week 6 will do week 2 workout for 1rm maxes on main lifts and week 7 will be week 3 repeated but for maximum reps on mains. All event training will be done in accordance with the cycles in the article and week 8 will be deload.

Does this look like a workable routine? I've tried to strike a balance between too much and too little volume. One other change i might look to make is to swap Monday and Tuesday around due to work commitments, does this matter much? If i'm doing heavy on the Saturday events day i will look to keep it as is if possible that week.

Thanks and happy new year to you

Wannabebig New Member
    Sorry, to further add. As i said i am new to strongman, competed in one charity event but dont have any on the immediate horizon so my goals are to just improve and learn and build a solid foundation in the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by firemark View Post
    Hi Tom,

Great article, i've been looking for something like this for a while now as new to the sport and keen to find a good balance between bodybuilding and strongman.

I've come up with a routine that i think will work for me focused on using 5x5 for my main compound gym lifts.

Week 1,

Monday

Incline Bench 5x5
    Overhead Press 5x5
    DB Flyes 4x 8-12
    Shrugs 4x10
    Close Grip Bench 4x6
    Pressdown 4x12

Tuesday
    Squats 5x5
    Deficit Deadlift 5x5
    Calf Raises 4x10
    Good mornings 4x10

Thurs
    Barbell Row 5x5
    Pulldown 4x8-10 1xdrop set
    Inc DB Curls x 4 sets
    21ís x 1 set

Week 2

Mon
    Incline Bench 5x5
    Overhead Press 5x5
    DB Flyes 4x 8-12
    Shrugs 4x10
    Close Grip Bench 4x6
    Pressdown 4x12

Tues
    Deadlift 5x5
    Front Squats 5x5
    Calf Raises 4x10
    Good mornings 4x10

Thurs
    Barbell Row 5x5
    Pulldown 4x10 1xdrop set
    Inc DB Curls
    21ís

Week 3

Mon
    Incline Bench 5x5
    Barbell Row 5x5
    Pulldown 4x10 1xdrop set
    Flyes 4x8-12
    Pullovers 4x12

Tue
    Power Cleans
    Jump Squat
    Power Snatch
    Rest

Thurs
    Shrugs 4x10
    Close Grip Bench 4x6
    Incline DB Curls 4x6-10
    Bicep/Tricep superset x5

Week 4 will be the same as week 2 and week 5 will re start at week 1. Week 6 will do week 2 workout for 1rm maxes on main lifts and week 7 will be week 3 repeated but for maximum reps on mains. All event training will be done in accordance with the cycles in the article and week 8 will be deload.

Does this look like a workable routine? I've tried to strike a balance between too much and too little volume. One other change i might look to make is to swap Monday and Tuesday around due to work commitments, does this matter much? If i'm doing heavy on the Saturday events day i will look to keep it as is if possible that week.

Thanks and happy new year to you
    Sorry, to further add. As i said i am new to strongman, competed in one charity event but dont have any on the immediate horizon so my goals are to just improve and learn and build a solid foundation in the gym.
    Mark,

The overall layout in terms of week-to-week looks good and I like the exercise selection. One thing that I would change is that if you are going to do 5x5 for a primary exercise then I would not go with the same repetition range/volume for another primary movement in the same training session. You could mix in 3x3, 3x8, etc. - this will help to prevent you from running into recovery problems.

With regard to occasionally switching your Monday and Tuesday sessions, I do not see any problem with that since you have Wednesday as a recovery day. As you mentioned the only thing that you would want to keep in mind is that if you have an intense events training session on Saturday then you may not be ready for a heavy lower-body training session on Monday.

Do you have a plan in place for your events work? Or will you be following the template from the article?
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Mark,

The overall layout in terms of week-to-week looks good and I like the exercise selection. One thing that I would change is that if you are going to do 5x5 for a primary exercise then I would not go with the same repetition range/volume for another primary movement in the same training session. You could mix in 3x3, 3x8, etc. - this will help to prevent you from running into recovery problems.

With regard to occasionally switching your Monday and Tuesday sessions, I do not see any problem with that since you have Wednesday as a recovery day. As you mentioned the only thing that you would want to keep in mind is that if you have an intense events training session on Saturday then you may not be ready for a heavy lower-body training session on Monday.

Do you have a plan in place for your events work? Or will you be following the template from the article?

Thanks a lot for the reply Tom, really appreciated. So if i stuck to one 5x5 exercise and then another like you said and possibly switch month on month something like that?

I was pretty much planning on following the article template for my events work. My only problem at the moment is my local strongman gym is under new ownership and may not be continuing with that side of things. That will mean maybe training actual events every other week due to travelling distances, should i attempt to replicate some of the event training as best i can in the gym or stick with the 4 routines and cycle them every other week? (not ideal i know)

Apologies for the delayed response.

Wannabebig New Member
    Thanks a lot for the reply Tom, really appreciated. So if i stuck to one 5x5 exercise and then another like you said and possibly switch month on month something like that?

I was pretty much planning on following the article template for my events work. My only problem at the moment is my local strongman gym is under new ownership and may not be continuing with that side of things. That will mean maybe training actual events every other week due to travelling distances, should i attempt to replicate some of the event training as best i can in the gym or stick with the 4 routines and cycle them every other week? (not ideal i know)

Apologies for the delayed response.
    Hi Tom, have you had a chance to see this reply? I have another question too, i am a fire fighter and am trying to organise a charity strongman comp based around some fire service related activities. I'm thinking of things like truck pull (although i have no idea if pulling a 14-18 tone truck is doable for a novice) some sort of firefighter axe hold and possibly a medly involving a service dummy and loading some weights up a ladder to a platform. Do you have any ideas? Question is open to any of the guys too.