Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strongman Training for Maximum Hypertrophy by Tom Mutaffis - New Article!

Strongman Training for Maximum Hypertrophy by Tom Mutaffis - New Article!

Strongman Training for Maximum Hypertrophy by Tom Mutaffis

Most competitive strongmen do very little hypertrophy work, yet they have huge, muscular physiques. Why is that?

Well, we all know that strongman movements can build power, but they can also yield great muscle-building gains when utilized properly.

The training program outlined in this article combines strongman sessions alongside a traditional bodybuilding split, allowing you to build size, strength and an outstanding level of conditioning!

Enjoy and discuss
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? Ė My Training Journal

Tom, excellent article as always. I really like the ideas behind it and I hope to start using those in the near future. Keep 'em coming
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

That video is F'ing impressive. Your vertical ups are amazing.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Tom, excellent article as always. I really like the ideas behind it and I hope to start using those in the near future. Keep 'em coming
    Thank you.

Another idea that someone came up with was to use this 'Strongman Training for Hypertrophy' template and instead of events training to just add GPP work on the weekends (plyometrics, sled, etc.). This would work well for someone who had recomposition goals as a 'hybrid' muscle building / fat loss program.

Quote Originally Posted by Raleighwood View Post
    Thank you. I am looking at possibly renting a garage for some of my equipment and then I will definitely start doing more plyo/jumping/GPP. My gym frowns upon jumping on top of the counters and whatnot .
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Thank you.

Another idea that someone came up with was to use this 'Strongman Training for Hypertrophy' template and instead of events training to just add GPP work on the weekends (plyometrics, sled, etc.). This would work well for someone who had recomposition goals as a 'hybrid' muscle building / fat loss program.

Thank you. I am looking at possibly renting a garage for some of my equipment and then I will definitely start doing more plyo/jumping/GPP. My gym frowns upon jumping on top of the counters and whatnot .
    Tom do you have any contacts in Raleigh that are connected to more strength/underground oriented gyms? I am trying to branch out and possibly open up my own underground gym / training studio. Since I have limited capital, its going to be tough on my own.

Just curious since Charlotte is only a hop away from Raleigh.
    Last edited by Raleighwood; 03-09-2010 at 04:37 PM.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Quote Originally Posted by Raleighwood View Post
    Yeah that box jump was REALLY impressive.

Also how much weight was on the bar for that "Bear Complex" at the end of the video? It looked like 3 pps, but I'm guessing there is no way those can be 45 lbs plates.

EDIT: Just watched the Bear Complex again. If that is actually 315 on the bar then that is just insane, lol.
    Last edited by SMK41; 03-09-2010 at 05:36 PM.
    Stefan
    Height: 6'4 - Weight: 235 lbs - Age: 31
    DL: 530 x 1
    Squat: 355 x 1
    Bench: 350 x 1

Quote Originally Posted by SMK41 View Post
    Also how much weight was on the bar for that "Bear Complex" at the end of the video? It looked like 3 pps, but I'm guessing there is no way those can be 45 lbs plates.

EDIT: Just watched the Bear Complex again. If that is actually 315 on the bar then that is just insane, lol.
    Have you seen the man? I wouldn't doubt it, he's a STRONG fella! Tom, you do great things and I would love to try this stuff out. All I have is a tractor tire, but maybe over the years I will be able to get some kegs and other strongman type things together. I love training like that, great article.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Absolutely incredible. Someday I may start doing some of this strongman stuff. Absolutely awesome.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    That bear complex was crazy. The fact that you are natural too Tom is nuts.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Great article I am definately going to use some of these ideas.

Great article, Tom had posted some of this before in his thread. I also agree the bear complex looked great.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

This is awesome. I'm definitely going to do some of this in the summer.

Thank you for the feedback on the article, I really appreciate the support!

With regard to the 'Bear Complex' I believe that was 270 lbs, but that video was also from 2-3 months ago when I was just coming back from an injury. Am considerably stronger/faster now and might have to give 315 lbs a try the next time that I do some OLY lifting.

One of the main things that I wanted to accomplish with the article is a different way to build muscle. There are countless bodybuilding and powerlifting routines but many of them become boring after just a few weeks or months, or they stop providing results because you adapt to them quickly. The variation and multiple stimulus methods in this program should keep things fun and progressive for a long period of time. I did leave the 'gym workout' portion somewhat open but posted some more detailed information in my Q&A thread in case anyone is interested.

Are there any topics or types of programs that anyone would like to see in future articles?

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

I'd like to know advice on getting some cheap items to do some strongman events with. Even if it's not an article. I know APT sells Atlas Stone Molds. I want to do some strongman stuff to supplement my powerlifting now that the weather is getting nice, and I'm in the process of building a home gym so if I'm going to spend money, now will be the time
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Wannabebig Member
    Your Video's Are awsome, The "Bear Complex" Seems Like a Great Exercise in my View, But After watching this lol Strongman exercises are not my thing :P
    Weight: 165lbs

Lifts: [Currently]
    BP: 205lbs(Goal:235lbs)
    Deads: 325lbs(Goal: 400lbs)
    Squats:275lbs(Goal: 300lbs)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Are there any topics or types of programs that anyone would like to see in future articles?
    How about an article where you go into more detail on your ideas on progression. I thought it was interesting how you stated one week try for a high rep max, then the next week try to improve your 3 rep max.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

I think that would be interesting too.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    I'd like to know advice on getting some cheap items to do some strongman events with. Even if it's not an article. I know APT sells Atlas Stone Molds. I want to do some strongman stuff to supplement my powerlifting now that the weather is getting nice, and I'm in the process of building a home gym so if I'm going to spend money, now will be the time
    Sorry, I just saw this thread.

Here is what I would recommend for easy to make, relatively inexpensive, and effective at-home equipment:
    • Sandbag / Go to an army-navy store and pick up a couple of duffle bags. Put sand/dirt/rocks into smaller plastic bags and then load them into the duffle bag and tape the end closed with duct tape.
    • River Stones or Natural Stones / Good for carrying and loading.
    • Axle Bar / Can be made from pipe. These are easy to bend so make sure to avoid any type of heavy rack work since that will quickly ruin your axle.
    • Tire Sled / Take a car or truck tire and put a bolt through the tread then fasten a piece of plywood to the sidewall. Attach a rope or chain to the bolt and now you have a dragging sled. You can throw your sandbag or some weights on the plywood to increase the load.
    • Farmers Handles / These are fairly easy to make with pipe, plans are available online if you search around a bit, but with only 300# of weights you might want to hold off on making farmers.
    • Vehicle Push or Pull / You can use a deer dragging harness which can be purchased for less than $20 at hunting supply stores. Climbing harnesses would also work but I am not sure how much they cost. If you don't have a training partner then you can perform drags with your tire sled.
    • Giant Dumbbell / Pick up a piece of 20-24" pipe (2" OD) and now you have a dumbbell for pressing or rowing. This should cost you $10 or less at any home supply store. Use tape to make the inner collars.
    • Giant Tire / If you search around you should be able to find a used heavy equipment tire for free. A tire in the 500-600 lbs range is generally the best for training, perhaps a bit lighter if you are just getting started (anything lighter than 400# will be pretty much useless unless you are competing in the women's division).
    • Kegs / Used kegs should be around $25-30 but you might be able to find them for less. Fill them with water or sand for carrying, loading, and even pressing.

This should allow you to train for most of the events and get a good workout with limited equipment.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by View 1 View Post
    How about an article where you go into more detail on your ideas on progression. I thought it was interesting how you stated one week try for a high rep max, then the next week try to improve your 3 rep max.
    This does sound like a good topic for another article; hopefully I will be able to publish something new in the next 1-2 months.

Wannabebig New Member
    hey tom, that video was crazy but what i was really wondering the whole time is what song is in the background?

Quote Originally Posted by Meyer Bros View Post
    hey tom, that video was crazy but what i was really wondering the whole time is what song is in the background?
    I am not able to access videos from this computer but will take a look and get back to you.

If it is the video that I am thinking of then the song is called "three violins".

Wannabebig New Member
    Hi Tom, I'm trying to assemble a routine based on the article. I'm a former bodybuilder now strongman trainee. I've done several successful waves of 531 and kind of getting stuck on the military press. I also need work on my chest development.
    My other issue is that the article, although I love the structure, I cant figure out the sets and reps. I'm unsure on how to setup the reps and sets.

Wannabebig New Member
    any thoughts????

Banned
    Based on the article and my limited understanding of strongman here's my advice.

If you have a lot of time before competition start out mor general and cover your bases all around. As you get closer to competition you training will become more specific.

Also, the article has some sample workouts and guidelines. Just read into it deeper. Also check the journals section.

Hopefully Tom will chime in on this

Quote Originally Posted by lambastard View Post
    Hi Tom, I'm trying to assemble a routine based on the article. I'm a former bodybuilder now strongman trainee. I've done several successful waves of 531 and kind of getting stuck on the military press. I also need work on my chest development.
    My other issue is that the article, although I love the structure, I cant figure out the sets and reps. I'm unsure on how to setup the reps and sets.
    Quote Originally Posted by lambastard View Post
    any thoughts????
    Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I was traveling for the holiday.

The ideal amount of volume/intensity will vary greatly from individual to individual; which is why this program does not have prescribed sets, reps, weights, or exercises.

If you plan to compete in strongman then you should focus on event training and treat your gym workouts as supplemental. A conservative yet progressive approach is usually the most effective with regard to gym training. Things like Chest development can be addressed through exercise selection, volume, and intensity - just be careful not to end up at a point where you try to go in too many different directions and end up making very little progress overall.

Hope this helps, let me know if you would like to discuss something more specific.