The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Training Hips: The Missing Link by Travis Bell - Newsletter Mini Article

When talking about athletes, posterior chain training is probably one of the most talked about topics by strength and conditioning coaches. Every gym across the country is replete with glute ham raises, lower back training machines like the reverse hyper, bands for good mornings and list after list of various exercises to train abs, hamstrings and the lower back.

But what about the joint that connects your upper body to your lower? The hips. You donít see coaches teaching their athletes to do hardly, if any, hip exercises to increase strength. Often times, even stretching the hips is forgotten. Athletes will stretch their quads, hams and glutes and be done with it.

When you watch most athletes go from a static position to active, they often start from a hip dominant position. Football players start in the 3 point stance, where after the snap, their hips help push them into an explosive position. Basketball players, when jumping go into a squat position and explode upwards, using a lot of their hip strength to reach maximum vertical. Sprinters launch from the blocks using their hips again as a way of pushing off the blocks and transitioning into a sprinting position. The list goes on and on. In almost every sport you can find a situation where hip strength is invaluable.

Keep in mind, hips are not the only muscle in the posterior chain that should be trained, nor are they soley responsible for the force created from the above listen positions. That said, they are often the missing link. The muscle group that when trained in addition to the hamstrings, glutes and spinal erectors, makes for an extremely explosive athlete that can produce a very high amount of force from a given position. This often translates to faster 40 times for football players, higher verticals for basketball players and lower sprint times for track athletes.

At Superior Athletics, every lower day includes at least one hip dominant movement. The majority of which have been suggested to me by Louie Simmons of Westside Barbell. Louie is constantly running ideas and suggestions by me that always turn out to be helpful in my quest to better my athletes in their sports.

One of the most common exercises that we do for hip strength is the ultra wide stance stiff legged deadlift. We have the athletes take a very wide stance, with toes pointed outwards. While keeping their legs almost locked, they reach down and deadlift the bar up. A lot of emphasis is put on squeezing the glutes together and pushing the hips forwards at the top of the lift. Normally this is done for 3-4 sets of 4 reps. Variations of this can be done with either bands or chains. This is an accessory exercise done after DE or ME squatting

Another powerful movement is wide stance box squatting. Athletes who have especially weak hips will squat with a ultra wide stance, again with toes pointed outwards, down to a parallel box. This stance is most often used on DE squat day and then we transition back to the normal power stance for ME work.

A somewhat newer movement that Louie has come up with is wide stance push offs, using a belt squat machine. We attach the athlete to the belt squat machine, again have them take a wide stance, and then push off from side to side while keeping their legs straight. With this movement, the athlete will feel most of the work on the side of the hips, almost right on the joint. Most gyms do not have a belt squat machine, but this movement can be almost replicated with band tension in a power rack and looping the bands through a belt. This is another movement used for accessory work for 4 sets of 15-20 reps. Check out the following Belt Squat Push Offs video.

Belt Squat Push Offs with Bands

Video

Even when concerning conditioning work, we are looking for ways to train the hips. When dragging the sled we will have the athletes pull the sled with the strap looped on the side of their belt. Having them stay in a lower position and with their hands out in front of them, they side step. Trips are usually 80+ feet for 3 or 4 trips. Check out the following Side Sled Drags video.

Side Sled Drag

Video

Also we have them pull the sled, bent over and holding on to the strap between their legs. Taking a wide stance and leading with the heel, the athletes will pull the sled again for 80+ feet for 3-4 trips. Check out the following Bent Over Sled Pulls video.

Bent Over Sled Pulls

Video

Training hip strength is invaluable for athletes who require any sort of explosiveness. Strong hips allow them to better utilize the training that they put into the rest of their lower body.

By Travis Bell

You can sign up for our newsletter, by going here - Newsletter Sign up
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? Ė My Training Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Great article Travis, being a former Division 1 football and track athlete I can tell you that we never really did any "hip" training". Lots of plyos and posterier training but the hips spacifically seemed to be largely ignored!

Man what would have happened had I trained those hips! LOL!

Great read and awesome videos to assist visually!

How would leg abductor and adductor play in hip strength?

leg abductors work well if you have a machine for it. Most people don't have that though.

Bands don't work quite as well for the leg abductors because of the lack of tension at the beginning of the movement and the difficulty in getting a good range of motion.

But if you had access to one of those machines then yes it would work.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I'll have to give those belt squat push offs a try. I feel stupid for never thinking of trying belt squats with bands, I tried the free weight version and found them to be such a hassle to set up.