The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Corey Haim found dead

So says TMZ .

Corey Haim died this morning of an apparent overdose -- possibly accidental -- according to LAPD. He was 38.
    Police tell us they were called to St. Joseph's hospital in Burbank, CA shortly before 4AM PT to investigate.
    Haim shot to fame in the 80s -- when he co-starred in a number of films, including "The Lost Boys," with Corey Feldman.
    Haim reportedly suffered a drug-induced stroke in 2001 and was rushed to the UCLA
    Medical Center.
    Haim also reportedly was in and out of rehab 15 times, but cleaned up in 2004 after moving to Toronto

I think I'll watch License To Drive tonight in tribute.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    It's so sad how many doctors are completely willing to enable these star's drug habits.

Cory Haim would allegedly pop 80+ valium per day.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Even if the doctor didn't give him the meds, there are plenty of ways they can get their hands on them. Street pharmacists are a dime a dozen. I'd say it's sad, but I really can't muster up any feelings for someone who died of a drug overdose.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    im saddened for his family and close friends.
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    I'd say it's sad, but I really can't muster up any feelings for someone who died of a drug overdose.
    It's easy to write off until you've had a friend or loved one have to deal with addiction. It's an ugly disease, and ultimately getting better relies on action by the individual, but kicking an intense drug habit is not as easy as just deciding "I'm going to stop taking drugs." For all we know he could've been a completely functioning individual, and this could've been his achilles heel. Not everyone that is addicted to drugs is a deadbeat that's ignoring their house payments and neglecting their children.
    I've had two friends going through rehab. My friend that is in sober living right now is a math genius with a college degree, who started drinking because he suffers from immense depression. He didn't wake up one day and decide to become an alcoholic, bit by bit he just started drinking more and more, eventually it became a problem.
    The screwed up thing, is he is the last person you would peg for having any kind of mental disorder because he's hilarious and generally upbeat. But when he's down, he's down.

Starting Current

Is the other Corey still alive? Feldman?
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade View Post
    It's easy to write off until you've had a friend or loved one have to deal with addiction. It's an ugly disease, and ultimately getting better relies on action by the individual, but kicking an intense drug habit is not as easy as just deciding "I'm going to stop taking drugs." For all we know he could've been a completely functioning individual, and this could've been his achilles heel. Not everyone that is addicted to drugs is a deadbeat that's ignoring their house payments and neglecting their children.
    I've had two friends going through rehab. My friend that is in sober living right now is a math genius with a college degree, who started drinking because he suffers from immense depression. He didn't wake up one day and decide to become an alcoholic, bit by bit he just started drinking more and more, eventually it became a problem.
    The screwed up thing, is he is the last person you would peg for having any kind of mental disorder because he's hilarious and generally upbeat. But when he's down, he's down.

No, sorry. I have watched people suffer from this 'disease' and it's just pathetic. I don't care what substance it is, he made a choice to do it, and keep doing it everyday, and he paid for his stupidity.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

Do you understand that the second you
    look in the mirror and you're happy with
    what you see, baby, you just
    lost the battle!

Quote Originally Posted by Altephor View Post
    No, sorry. I have watched people suffer from this 'disease' and it's just pathetic. I don't care what substance it is, he made a choice to do it, and keep doing it everyday, and he paid for his stupidity.
    I agree. I'm sure it's not easy to kick a drug habit, but it just takes responsibility not to start one. It's hard to feel bad for his loved ones because i'm sure most of them knew about his drug problems and let him keep living that way. they really made their own beds and now they have to lie in them.
    stats:Bench: 285 goal: 305
    squat: 390 goal: 420
    dead: 405 goal: 445
    weight and height: 230, 6'2 age:18
    No strength within, no respect without.
    "Strength is not your physical capacity, its your indomitable will." http://freddy56.mybrute.com

Quote Originally Posted by backseatwitme13 View Post
    It's hard to feel bad for his loved ones because i'm sure most of them knew about his drug problems and let him keep living that way. they really made their own beds and now they have to lie in them.
    Wtf would you expect his family to do? They cant force him to quit taking drugs if he doesnt want to. Your little statement proves you dont know **** about drug addiction.

I have a good friend who has a drug problem. I've been friends with him for 10+ years. Lately we just hang out and typically party together on the weekends because he lives about an hour away from me. Hes struggled with drugs for years but its currently hit an all time low. It started with coke, he kicked that habit, moved on to oxy, and now h. I've seen him wake up to a few lines of herion. So if my friend died of a drug overdose, you're gonna put the blame on his family? Wtf kind of **** is that? How about me? Am I responsible here? Hell no. It all comes down to him and what HE wants to do. I've tried talking sense into him, I've even taken it has far as slapping him in the face to get him to snap out of it and take me seriously. Usually drug addicts have people around them that care about them and are trying to help them, but if they dont want help, they sure as hell wont get help.

I think its pathetic when people cant kick a drug habbit, it shows how weak they are. But to blame that **** on someones family and say they gotta sleep in it? Man, you got a lot to learn.

Does the 13 in your name mean you're 13 btw? If so, then I apologize for getting so worked up over your immature ignorance, but that hit a nerve with me.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

Quote Originally Posted by jAy_Dub View Post
    Wtf would you expect his family to do? They cant force him to quit taking drugs if he doesnt want to. Your little statement proves you dont know **** about drug addiction.

I have a good friend who has a drug problem. I've been friends with him for 10+ years. Lately we just hang out and typically party together on the weekends because he lives about an hour away from me. Hes struggled with drugs for years but its currently hit an all time low. It started with coke, he kicked that habit, moved on to oxy, and now h. I've seen him wake up to a few lines of herion. So if my friend died of a drug overdose, you're gonna put the blame on his family? Wtf kind of **** is that? How about me? Am I responsible here? Hell no. It all comes down to him and what HE wants to do. I've tried talking sense into him, I've even taken it has far as slapping him in the face to get him to snap out of it and take me seriously. Usually drug addicts have people around them that care about them and are trying to help them, but if they dont want help, they sure as hell wont get help.

I think its pathetic when people cant kick a drug habbit, it shows how weak they are. But to blame that **** on someones family and say they gotta sleep in it? Man, you got a lot to learn.

Does the 13 in your name mean you're 13 btw? If so, then I apologize for getting so worked up over your immature ignorance, but that hit a nerve with me.
    I made the screenname when i was 12 about to turn 13, and i realize its very immature but its just familar for me.

To the rest of you post, I'm not saying i know a ton about drug addiction but if loved ones really did love someone, they wouldn't act only when someone hit rock bottom, they would talk some sense into them before it ever got that far. I'm not saying its your fault your friend has a drug problem, but i would bet that you could make him go to rehab, either by reasoning or by force. Don't let anything stand in your way between getting your friend help.
    stats:Bench: 285 goal: 305
    squat: 390 goal: 420
    dead: 405 goal: 445
    weight and height: 230, 6'2 age:18
    No strength within, no respect without.
    "Strength is not your physical capacity, its your indomitable will." http://freddy56.mybrute.com

yea that will do it

I'm not saying its your fault your friend has a drug problem, but i would bet that you could make him go to rehab, either by reasoning or by force. Don't let anything stand in your way between getting your friend help.
    You can't force people to go to rehab, they have to consent.

The ignorance about addiction astounds me. Of course there are weak-minded people that can't overcome drug addiction and I don't feel bad for them, like many vices. But there are also perfectly rational and intelligent people that get addicted to substances, and it's really hard to fathom until you've witnessed it first-hand. Kicking hard drugs like heroine, methadone, cocaine etc and even alcohol, is incredibly difficult, and unless you've done it yourself, you have no right to make blanket generalizations about addicts.

I'd liken it to obesity, yeah there are a lot of people who are just to lazy and unmotivated to get themselves out to the gym, but there are also people who have seriously psychological issues and keep gaining weight

As I mentioned before, getting better ultimately rests on the individual, and it's only through self perseverance that one can overcome drug addiction. There are many drug addicts I won't lose sleep over.

Starting Current

I would like to apologize for coming off as "cold" or "heartless" in my first post. Addictions suck, they just flat out freaking suck. I said I couldn't muster up any feelings or feel sorry for someone like him, but in my current, more awake state of mind, I realize my error. I still do have hard feelings for those who don't take their own addiction seriously, or can't get help. I do wish the best for his family and friends, I hope if he's got any friends in the same position they take heed and learn from this. Hopefully, at least something good would come of it.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    I would like to apologize for coming off as "cold" or "heartless" in my first post. Addictions suck, they just flat out freaking suck. I said I couldn't muster up any feelings or feel sorry for someone like him, but in my current, more awake state of mind, I realize my error. I still do have hard feelings for those who don't take their own addiction seriously, or can't get help. I do wish the best for his family and friends, I hope if he's got any friends in the same position they take heed and learn from this. Hopefully, at least something good would come of it.
    Like JayDub this is a touchey issue for me as well, being as I have had close family and friends deal with pyschological/addiction issues.
    Takes a big man to admit when they error, thank you.

Starting Current

Whether you think forming a drug addiction is irresponsible or not, it's not a mistake that is deserving of death. These people can be people again, but now don't have the chance. I think that's sad.

I'm sure you've never been in the depths of a severe addiction.. people from all walks of life develop drug and alcohol problems. You don't know their circumstances or their brain chemistry that might make them prone to drug addiction. These drugs hijack their brain and take over and it very hard to break their spell. Until you've gone through an addiction yourself, you'll never know the hell they live in. So I'm not saying this is respectable and they should of made better choices, but at least show some compassion for the state they are in now.

To the rest of you post, I'm not saying i know a ton about drug addiction but if loved ones really did love someone, they wouldn't act only when someone hit rock bottom, they would talk some sense into them before it ever got that far. I'm not saying its your fault your friend has a drug problem, but i would bet that you could make him go to rehab, either by reasoning or by force. Don't let anything stand in your way between getting your friend help.
    Life experience may soften your views on this somewhat... or maybe not.

Sometimes, no matter how much you love someone, there's only so much you're willing or able to do. JMO.

It's amazing to me, truly, how much punishment the human body can endure for decades before it finally breaks. I feel badly for Cory and his family and friends. I used to think addictions and obesity were simply the result of weak-wills and poor choices - I look at it as something a little more complex now.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    It's amazing to me, truly, how much punishment the human body can endure for decades before it finally breaks.
    So true.
    If I go out and drink heavily a couple nights in a row and I really feel it, I can't imagine how people can be chronic alcoholics for 20+ years and not drop dead after just a few months of heavy drinking.

Starting Current

I don't know what critics thought of his performance in "Lucas" back in the day, but to me (I was in middle school at the time), that was as impressive as DiCaprio's breakout in "Gilbert Grape" or Haley Joel Osment in "Sixth Sense".

He was this sensitive, bright kid who just damn determined to get that girl, yet was hiding things. Unbelievable. I felt for him in that movie, man. He absolutely nailed the dialogue, the delivery, becoming an open wound.....the whole bit.

If any of the young folks out there question whether Haim ever did anything good, watch "Lucas".

UPDATE: alright, I just IMDB'd it, and I had forgotten how many future "names" were in this film. Charlie Sheen, Courtney Thorne-Smith, Kerri Greene, Jeremy Piven, Winona Ryder.
    "We could put his leg in a vice-grip, but you & I together couldn't twist his ankle enough to sprain it"
    - Jerry Glanville discussing Barry Sanders

I made the screenname when i was 12 about to turn 13, and i realize its very immature but its just familar for me.

You don't have a freaking clue about this and probably should refrain from making further comments for now. I realize you are still young and will attribute your ignorance to that.

Quote Originally Posted by bgs1154 View Post
    I'm sure you've never been in the depths of a severe addiction.. people from all walks of life develop drug and alcohol problems.
    Quoted for truth. I've seen a lot of drug addiction up close and it usually, at least in my experience, doesn't take the form of a homeless crack fiend on the streets. With prescription meds you have people unknowingly starting a habit because a lot of people assume that the medication their doctor prescribes them won't be unhealthy for them. It just doesn't seem like doctors like to mention that one little fact and when you heal from whatever injury you needed them for in the first place and try to get off of the meds it can be a living hell.

And then when someone has a slow and drawn-out withdrawal before feeling "normal" (ie not crappy) again it gives them that much more time to have one moment of weakness to find and take some more to stop the withdrawal. Repeat ad-infinitum and you essentially have what painkiller addicts go through.

Anyways RIP Corey Haim. I said it a while ago that painkillers especially are going to become a huge issue for my generation because so many people get prescribed them, so many people keep them in their medicine cabinet after their treatment, and perhaps most importantly kids assume they are safe because they were prescribed my a doctor. And this is to not even mention how they make you feel
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

It's so sad how many doctors are completely willing to enable these star's drug habits.

It's not just the stars it's everyone. I live in Houston and the amount of people I kn ow who go doctor shopping is absolutely ridiculous. One of my friends does it just to make some exrtra money because the dealers will pay him so much just to go. All you do is say some stuff about you back hurting and your under a lot of stress and boom you go 150 vicodins and 120 xanax something like that anyways.

Whats even crazier is everyone knows about this. This is a well documented problem in our city and the only thing they've done is combine all the pharmacy records so you can't go more then once a month. Well something like that anyways.

Admitting you have a problem is the easy part of addiction, taking action to correct the problem is another story all together. Most every individual I know who had stopped drinking or drugging knew they had a problem long before they stopped! And believe it or not some of them would wake up and try with all they had not to drink or drug that day and by that evening they were high or drunk! I don't know how to explain it, but if you don't have the right set of tools to fix the timing belt in your car, guess what????? It is gonna stay broken! 12 step programs and rehabilitation centers offer an envoronment where these individuals can attempt to attain the tools they need to fix their "timing belt"? Family members almost ALWAYS do everything they can to try and help, the problem is that they don't know what kind of help is needed or the kind of help they give (money for rent, rides to work, place to stay) is really not help at all? The most difficult part of being close to someone who suffers from any addiction is to have the "ability" to let the one you love fall and not help them! Would anyone here be willing to let their son or girl live homeless on the street if you thought it could save their life?????? or kill them? that is a serious bet when talking about someone you loves life on this earth! Often the love a family has for the sufferer seems to make helping them even harder to understand. People start to drink or drug for all kinds of reasons and the truth is they spend years of their lives chasing the "high" or "drunk" they had the first time and it just never shows up.

One of the largest problems with movie stars and athletes who suffer from addiction (in my opinion) is the access to it in those circles and the tons of money these individuals have to throw at it! The saddest thing I have seen is that most of the individuals I have known and know who have suffered or are suffering from addiction are some of the most talented individuals I have ever known. Some individuals have lived the vicious life of addiction for so long they don't even understand that there is a world that exists without drugs and or alchohol.

All you can really do is pray that a person hits their bottum before the cemetary, Corey is another public example of a private problem that effects almost 10% of our population (just under 10 by the last numbers I saw).

"The saddest thing in life is wasted talent" - Robert D in a Bronx Tale - Could not be more true then in this case, my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and those who loved him most! RIP