The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

really having problems with Benching form

My wrists have bent backward my whole life benching, and up until recently I never knew it was a problem.

Anyway, I'm trying to keep my wrists aligned with my forearms, but I have a few problems...

1. When I am locking out the press, it seems like my arms and hands end up looking like this (imagine you are a spotter behind me and crouched down looking at my arms/hands):

| |
    \ /

with the straight lines being my hands, and the slashes being my arms. I am about 5'7" with a relatively normal-sized wingspan I suppose, and I've been placing my middle fingers on the rings of the bar (sometimes a bit narrower toward ring finger). Is this a good grip for me? Or should I go wider/narrower? It seems like ideally I'd want to go even wider so as to be able to bench more weight, but the wider I go the more angled my arms seem to be and so it makes it feel like strange stress on my wrist due to the extreme angles that occur when I am locking out at the top.

2. When I try to keep my hands aligned with my forearms, forearms start to shake and it almost feels like the bar is going to slip out of my hands, whereas it feels more comfortable with my wrists bent back supporting the weight, although I know that when I start to use heavier weight this will be bad for the wrists. Will my forearms get used to the new position which right now feels very uncomfortable and unstable?

3. Most of my problems with benching seem to occur at the top of the press. At the bottom it feels pretty good and decently solid, but at the top it seems like my wrists want to bend back and angle all weird (explained above with diagram in point #1). I really wish I knew how to correct this.

4. Also, am I supposed to bring my elbows inward when lowering the bar? I've heard to do that, but it feels like this causes me even more problems, so I've been trying to let my elbows be more natural with my forearms about perpendicular to the ground at the bottom of the press.

5. For a while I've puffed out my chest, back arched, and shoulder blades retracted backward. Is this correct form? If not, is this what is causing me problems?

Thanks to anyone for any form of input, I'd really appreciate it.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 03-10-2010 at 04:59 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

dave tate video

There are some good points in the video. They are cues I use in my routine that have helped me. Wrist wraps may help, too. They're not expensive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh3t6T-nqP0

Thanks! That video was quite informative for me. Btw, the way Tate wraps his thumbs behind the bar like that... is that optimal? It seems like it'd be scary, couldn't the bar more easily fall out of your hands?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    Thanks! That video was quite informative for me. Btw, the way Tate wraps his thumbs behind the bar like that... is that optimal? It seems like it'd be scary, couldn't the bar more easily fall out of your hands?
    it may be optimal (i don't know), but i can say for sure that if you're not careful you stand a good chance of ****ing yourself up. it's called the "death grip" for a reason
    not saying don't do it, just don't be a careless dumbass if you do.
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Wow, great video, so many good pointers.

Dave pretty much covered it all in that video.

You do not have to use thumbless grip.

You really need to just keep working on getting more and more tight during your press to help with the stability.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Wannabebig Member
    you may remember that story about the running back from usc, stafon johnson. he crushed his throat using the thumbless grip. he didn't die but reports were it was really close. that scared me enough to never use the thumbless grip but as long as u know the dangers it's up to u.

What about the width of my grip? Is middle finger on rings too wide for me? I'm about 5'7", I dunno what the size of my wingspan is though.

Thanks for the replies.
    Lifting Journal

What about the width of my grip? Is middle finger on rings too wide for me? I'm about 5'7", I dunno what the size of my wingspan is though.

Thanks for the replies.
    From what I've learned from the SS book, IIRC, at the bottom of the press, when the bar is touching your shirt... your FOREARMS should be perpendicular to the ground with your elbows directly under your hands if you were to be under your elbows and look up.

I'm 5'9" and my grip is generally about a pinky AWAY from the power rings on the bar I use.

I've only been lifting for about 6 mos so I could be off, but like I said, if I remember right from the SS book, you want your forearms straight up and down at the bottom of the press, that should give you the perfect grip width to be using.

Thanks for the replies.
    You'll have to find what grip works best for you. However, given your height - that does sound fairly wide. As for your wingspan, someone who is 5'7" should have about 67" wingspan.