The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: 3x8 Deadlifts

3x8 Deadlifts

Anyone do similar set/reps for deadlifts as this?

I have been doing 1x5 deadlifts for like a year. I've recently changed my routine to basically 3x8 for all my lifts, so am thinking about doing deads like this also.

Just wondering if this is a bad idea for deads? Starting Strength only has 1 set of deads, and that's for easy-recovering new lifters so maybe 3x8 is overdoing it?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

3x8 is fine man.

the 1x5 on SS is pretty close to 5rm. So its all about how much weight you do

currently i alternate deads from 5x5 to 5x3.
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old
    prepping for my first show!

Oh yeah I'd definately be lowering the weight. I'm mainly wondering if it's normal to do that many sets/reps, or if deadlifting is meant to be a heavy 1x5 type power excercise or something

Quote Originally Posted by greemah View Post
    Oh yeah I'd definately be lowering the weight. I'm mainly wondering if it's normal to do that many sets/reps, or if deadlifting is meant to be a heavy 1x5 type power excercise or something
    there is nothing set in stone that says 1 extremely heavy set of deadlifts is optimal. I personally do around 3 working sets per workout and with the scheme i am using, i typically increase 10 pounds per workout, but for lower reps (3-4) after i do a working set i did the previous workout for 5-6 reps. I've noticed that for me, this is a lot more efficient, but for some people 1 heavy set is all they need. If you want to give the 3x8 a try, go for it, but just make sure you have your ego in check when picking a suitable weight. Good luck!

I've been doing 3 sets of 6-8 reps for my Deadlifts, but I'm starting 4 sets of 6-8 tomorrow .

Just be careful when you go over 5 reps with Deadlifts that you arent rushing your reps and are really focussing in your form.

Once a week I do DL 3x8 with lighter weight and then another day I do 3x3 with heavy weight. For me I don't find it to be too much volume.
    Stefan
    Height: 6'4 - Weight: 235 lbs - Age: 31
    DL: 530 x 1
    Squat: 355 x 1
    Bench: 350 x 1

Great thanks all, think I'll give it a shot

Did you stall on your current routine?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I would say try 5x3 instread of 3x8, but whatever you feel comfortable with. Effort is usually more important than any set or rep scheme.
    Last edited by joey54; 03-10-2010 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Did you stall on your current routine?
    I have stalled on all my lifts that are 5-rep sets. Whenever I do them I stall. In the past on 3x8 routines I have made good gains (switched to 3x5 to do SS on a bulk). I'm now on a two day routine, which involves 3x5 lifts which I can't gain on (have done a reset but get to the same point), which is why I am keeping the same routine but changing everything to 3x8 (except calves and abs which are 3x15, and some accessory which is 2x8 to keep volume down)

Like stated above, the only concern I see with it is really making sure to keep good form. Deadlifts are notorious for giving people trouble in the higher rep ranges. Not sure if it's the nature of the movement or the fact that for a lot of people, deadlifting is the heaviest movement they do. Either way, just be careful.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

Yep I'm definately careful with deadlift form. Funnily enough, deadlifts are the easiest lift for form for me.

My god, I did 3x8 deadlifts today, nearly spewed. Totally messed me up for the rest of the workout, my face was white the whole time and my whole body screwed. Was weird, this is the first time I have ever felt deadlifts in my legs/glutes, even gave my calves a hiding!! My traps were swole afterwards too which is great

For those of you that do similar rep ranges for deads, do you have them at the beginning or end of the workout?

Now wondering if doing this volume for deads instead of my normal 1x5 will be enough work for my traps and calves, and allow me to ditch calve raises and shrugs haha

Quote Originally Posted by greemah View Post

For those of you that do similar rep ranges for deads, do you have them at the beginning or end of the workout?
    You always want to do them at the beginning as they are (in less you do squats on the same day too) the most important lift in your workout. You do them first because you have the most energy to do them hard and with good form. If you do them at the end when you are tired the tendency is too get sloppy AND you will not be able to do as much weight because you will be tired.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

Personally I'm not a huge fan of higher rep deadlifts as everyone's form breaks down during the set the longer it goes, however I guess if one kept the weight in check and they simply had to do it that way it's fine.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

greemah,

What is your warm-up like? When you do 1x5, 3x5, or 3x8, are you increasing the weight? I haven't done 3x8 but I do 1x5 and 3x5. I usually warm up with repitions of a weight I can do 10x's then 7, 5, 3, 1. I may increase the weight some a few pounds a time till I hit the 1RM I am comfortable with then do it 5x's. At the end of this I am smoked.
    m/37/5'10/194

Back Squat 435lbs
    Shoulder Press 195lbs
    Deadlift 505lbs
    Bench Press 315lb

Quote Originally Posted by tnathletics2b
    You always want to do them at the beginning as they are (in less you do squats on the same day too) the most important lift in your workout. You do them first because you have the most energy to do them hard and with good form. If you do them at the end when you are tired the tendency is too get sloppy AND you will not be able to do as much weight because you will be tired.
    What about benching first, then deads? I did deads and calve raises first yesterday and my bench suffered hugely (forarms and biceps tired). The rest of my lifts should be ok after deads.

Quote Originally Posted by imxfit
    What is your warm-up like? When you do 1x5, 3x5, or 3x8, are you increasing the weight? I haven't done 3x8 but I do 1x5 and 3x5. I usually warm up with repitions of a weight I can do 10x's then 7, 5, 3, 1. I may increase the weight some a few pounds a time till I hit the 1RM I am comfortable with then do it 5x's. At the end of this I am smoked.
    I usually just do a couple reps of a lighter weight (e.g. yesterday I did 2 reps of 110kg, and my working sets for 3x8 130kg)