The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

Speed work with 5/3/1

I already made more gains in the 1st month of 5/3/1 then the prior 3 months combined. Great program. I currently am doing the boring but big for upper body, and for squat/dead I am doing leg press/good mornings respectively. Instead of doing 5x10 of light bench for the accessory after heavy bench, can I do something like 10x5 or even 16x3 and do speed reps instead? I noticed, that while I am getting a lot stronger, I dont feel explosive on any of my lifts and wanted to incorporate some speed work somewhere, I just wasnt sure how to apply it.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wendler has been asked this about a million times on elitefts and his response is always not to do speed work with 5/3/1. I would just perform my first two work sets of the main exercise as explosively as possible and count this as your "speed work". If the program is getting you good results I don't know why you would want to start changing things.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean S View Post
    Wendler has been asked this about a million times on elitefts and his response is always not to do speed work with 5/3/1. I would just perform my first two work sets of the main exercise as explosively as possible and count this as your "speed work". If the program is getting you good results I don't know why you would want to start changing things.
    Gonna have to agree. If it's working for now, why change it? Maybe once you stall out on bench you could do some speed work as an accessory after your military presses on that day.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Garage Lifter
    Maybe add some Oly lifts in as accessory? Power cleans, Push Jerks, Power Snatch, or the full movements?
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    Maybe add some Oly lifts in as accessory? Power cleans, Push Jerks, Power Snatch, or the full movements?
    Funny you mention that.

In his football 5/3/1 book (Great book, by the way) he mentions doing power cleans 5/3/1 protocol style.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Garage Lifter
    I personally am using push jerks and push presses for this very reason. Plus, they're fun I've used Power cleans intermittantly on squat and deadlift days as a warm-up and really enjoyed them.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Banned
    Good points. I will keep everything the same and aside from my heaviest set, I will push the weight as explosively as possible. Thanks.