Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What degrees do you people have?

BA in Mathematics, minor in Business Admin.

4 actuarial exams passed. 5 or 6 more to go...
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Old My 5-3-1 Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132576

Quote Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
    You teach in NYS, if so where?
    Unfortunately I can't find a PE job so I'm a TA in Rochester.

Oh well. It's a foot in the door.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    Unfortunately I can't find a PE job so I'm a TA in Rochester.

Oh well. It's a foot in the door.
    My wife is a teacher in Nassau County and it is near impossible to get a job teaching around here now.

BA in Philosophy & Rhetoric -Minor in Religious Studies
    MA in Critical Theory & Continental Philosophy (currently in progress. then onward to the phd)
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 03-12-2010 at 04:49 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

BT in Criminal Investigations. I'll graduate with a MSEd in School Counseling in May.

EHubbard, I'm in NY as well and the market for any type of school employment is awful right now. I think I'm going to have to move out of state to find a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
    BT in Criminal Investigations. I'll graduate with a MSEd in School Counseling in May.

EHubbard, I'm in NY as well and the market for any type of school employment is awful right now. I think I'm going to have to move out of state to find a job.
    I'm either going to do that or get into another field. We'll see. I have no idea right now.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Nice spectrum of degrees in here. Interesting. I think I might want to make my minor some field of Psychology. Every time I read anything that is psychology-related I am extremely intrigued.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    nice, gotcha. I dont want to work public but I am pursuing my cpa for additional academic credibility.
    what's your reasoning here f=ma? are you planning on becoming a teacher? from what i know, passing the CPA exam without actually doing any work in the public sector is virtually worthless. if you have the credit hours it takes to sit for the exam you're not going to see anything on there that surprises you. to be honest, the majority of the exam is worthless garbage that you'll never need to know again.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

A.A.S. Fire Science
    EMT-I, will be P in a while, then maybe RN.
    Firefighter-II

Still schooling though. Taking classes of interest right now. Not really shooting for another degree or cert right now. When I make my move to a fire department from the police department, I'd like to get my RN after that so I can work some overtime in the ER on my off days. Good experience and great pay.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

B.S. in Management/Marketing, MBA in progress.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    A.A.S. Fire Science
    EMT-I, will be P in a while, then maybe RN.
    Firefighter-II

Still schooling though. Taking classes of interest right now. Not really shooting for another degree or cert right now. When I make my move to a fire department from the police department, I'd like to get my RN after that so I can work some overtime in the ER on my off days. Good experience and great pay.
    Just curious why you're making a switch from PD to FD.

I think it just comes down to what I personally enjoyed doing more. I had a more positive experience in the FD before I made that switch. The lifestyle is a lot better for me. 24 on 48 off is great. I feel that firefighting is more of a hands on, scientific job, and that's what I like. Medicine is always changing, and fire sciences just seems to linger on forever. Plus the brother hood involved in firefighting is much tighter. You work with a group of guys that actually become family. It just appeals more to me. I guess another thing would be the feeling of no progress. Crime is getting worse, there's fewer "good" places anymore. I used to believe in preventitive police work but no so much anymore. You police one area back up and then another one falls. The people don't care what they do, parents don't care about their own kids. I understand it's my own fault for getting down on it, and I really don't have many days in a year where I feel that way. Just nights like tonight...really beat me down. With the fire side, you can honestly help prevent tradgedy. You can help prevent health related illnesses, you can help prevent a fire. Plus there's nothing like swinging a sledge hammer at a wall during overhaul, great cardio workout right there!
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

MA in Computing Science

Garage Lifter
    BSPharm
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Do that voodoo that he do
    B.S. Business Administration/Finance
    M.Ed. Exercise Physiology
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

Banned
    MA in English Literature and History of Art (joint honours).
    MA in History of Art (work in progress).

I decided this year not to apply for a phd though - its time to earn some money. I've been in school long enough.

Do what you enjoy. I did no art or art history at high school, and am not very artistic. It was a subject I knew nothing about. I took up history of art as an extra class in first year, then found it so interesting that I gradually changed my degree so I could incorporate it. Now I'm doing another masters just in history of art. I changed my whole direction in life because of a course I ended up on by accident.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    MA in Critical Theory & Continental Philosophy.
    I would hate that. Both critical theory and continental philosophy wind me up no end. I don't see the point in idolising Badiou.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I would hate that. Both critical theory and continental philosophy wind me up no end. I don't see the point in idolising Badiou.
    Its a bit more than that. No one is idolizing anyone and this shows a misunderstanding of what is going on in postmodernism.

I want to be a serious writer and contributor in the coming academic and social movement. Some call it postsecularism, postderridian, postheideggerian etc... but to this end, we must come to grips with what has been done to English, Religion and Philosophy in the postmodern period if we are to continue to grow and understand the phenomena that is taking place and will be taking place. Critical theory and continental philosophy are not things to be understood like history (although I realize history is more than this)... they are the tools we need, as a community, as scholars, to jump to the next platform, as it were. A scholar in today's society needs to be able to come to grips with continental philosophy because it has formed the period we are currently working in and is the ladder rung we need to continue thought. If we cannot understand that then we will be lost in the wash when it comes to working with materials that have formed western thought (The Bible, Platonic Canon, Tibetan Book of the Dead, Bhagavad Gita, Tao Teh Ching, Aristotle, Pre-Socratics, Cicero, St. Augustine, Quintilian, Shakespeare, Derrida, Heidegger, Nietzsche etc...) and thereby be out of time and arbitrary.

I realize you did not prod expecting this kind of answer but I felt a need to justify my position after reading your response.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 03-13-2010 at 03:18 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RBB View Post
    what's your reasoning here f=ma? are you planning on becoming a teacher? from what i know, passing the CPA exam without actually doing any work in the public sector is virtually worthless. if you have the credit hours it takes to sit for the exam you're not going to see anything on there that surprises you. to be honest, the majority of the exam is worthless garbage that you'll never need to know again.
    its a pipe dream, but I would like to enter the FBI as a special agent under the cpa admissions program. if i cant pull it off, I'll probably go public to get the big 4 experience. i'm actually almost done with the cpa - only FAR remains, which I took a few weeks ago.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    Bull***** Mechanical Engineering
    More ***** Material Science Engineering
    Currently working on getting it Piled Hired and Deeper Ceramic and Material Science Engineering.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    I think it just comes down to what I personally enjoyed doing more. I had a more positive experience in the FD before I made that switch. The lifestyle is a lot better for me. 24 on 48 off is great. I feel that firefighting is more of a hands on, scientific job, and that's what I like. Medicine is always changing, and fire sciences just seems to linger on forever. Plus the brother hood involved in firefighting is much tighter. You work with a group of guys that actually become family. It just appeals more to me. I guess another thing would be the feeling of no progress. Crime is getting worse, there's fewer "good" places anymore. I used to believe in preventitive police work but no so much anymore. You police one area back up and then another one falls. The people don't care what they do, parents don't care about their own kids. I understand it's my own fault for getting down on it, and I really don't have many days in a year where I feel that way. Just nights like tonight...really beat me down. With the fire side, you can honestly help prevent tradgedy. You can help prevent health related illnesses, you can help prevent a fire. Plus there's nothing like swinging a sledge hammer at a wall during overhaul, great cardio workout right there!

This is the very reason I'm looking to get into the Fire Department myself
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

BS in nutrition
    MS in exercise science
    Currently a PhD candidate in muscle biology. Should be finished in a year or so.

BASc Mechanical Engineering
    thinking about doing MASc in Gas Dynamics
    Current Raw Lifts:
    B:275 S:445 D:545
    1265 raw total
    My Journal:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=123789

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    its a pipe dream, but I would like to enter the FBI as a special agent under the cpa admissions program. if i cant pull it off, I'll probably go public to get the big 4 experience. i'm actually almost done with the cpa - only FAR remains, which I took a few weeks ago.
    not a pipe dream at all. funny you would mention that. my younger brother is also a CPA and has been working at a public firm for the last two years. he's looking to get out and just finished phase 2 of his FBI admissions. he's got to make it through one more phase and he's in. according to him they're always looking for CPA's.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

BS in Engineering...
    GOALS:
    Current Weight 242 4/16/10
    Bench - 275 current / 315 Goal
    Squat - 225 / 285* Goal
    Deadlift - 325 current / 365* Goal
    *Note: Herniated L5/S1 disk since 2001, almost bone on bone.
    ***Journal***

B.A. in Urban and Regional Planning
    AICP Certified through the American Planning Association
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle