The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Got into a fight cops looking for me

So I got into this altercation. I basically ran up to this guy when he was about to get out of his car and started unloading on his face. Not going into details but he disrespected me and my daughter.

Now it seems he has pressed charges and the police have been trying to get a hold of me. They came to my apartment when they knew I was home (my car was outside, the same car I drove away in when everyone from his job saw me hit him). The cop then called my cellphone and said he was just going to give me a citation class C if I came to the door now but if not he would call the DEA and make it a class A.

Honestly I'm not sure what to do. Should I ever answer the door to the cop or just continue to ignore them? I have a hard time believing I'll get a simple citation for what I did but then again when this happened in school its all I got as well.

The problem is this was much more brutal. People from his job have been telling me his face is really messed up black all over. He's even been threatening to come after me and daughter/wife now telling this to all the employees at his job who will most likely have to testify if/when this goes to trial.

My girl friend read online that I need to say that he wanted to fight as well (his statements at work don't help him in this case) he will have to prove that was not the case.

Anyways any advise that could be offered for people who have been in similar situations would be great.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Gamer/Lifter
    The one time I was arrested, I was completely honset with the officer and I got off easy.

Now your situation maybe a bit more serious, however I think it will be the same type. If you make it easy for the cops they will make it easy for you.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    My advice is to get an attorney.

If he pressed charges then the police are probably waiting to get a warrant. While waiting they probably came to your apartment to see if you would go down to the station with them and ultimately incriminate yourself.

Why would the DEA be involved? Do you mean DA or are drugs involved?

This is my personal opinion: do not lie. If the victim didn't start the fight then don't claim he did. Leave what needs to be proven and who needs to prove it up to the lawyer. If you start trying to handle this yourself you may muddle it up. I'm going to refer back to the first short words of my post.

An internet forum is really not the best place to get feedback on this type of issue.

If you were the one who threw the first punch, and he didn't fight back, get a lawyer.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Yea I know this isn't the best place. I was just seeing if maybe someone had a similar experience or if someone was a cop on here could offer more information.

I think I'm going to contact a lawyer and see what they say.

My friend did say that he will most likely drop the charges because he does not want to go to court. Thats what the guy told him.
    Last edited by method115; 03-23-2010 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by method115 View Post
    Yea I know this isn't the best place. I was just seeing if maybe someone had a similar experience or if someone was a cop on here could offer more information.

I think I'm going to contact a lawyer and see what they say.

My friend did say that he will most likely drop the charges because he does not want to go to court. Thats what the guy told him.
    He's gotta mean DA, DEA wouldn't touch this with a 10 foot pole, even if drugs were involved I doubt very seriously it's a large enough amount to interest them.

If you flat out ground and pounded the guy, threw the first punch, and he didn't do anything but talk about you, that's gonna be a good class A assault, I don't even know why they said anything about Class C.

If he's that messed up, he's probably going to press charges, hell I would. If you can prove he instigated the ordeal, it may help in court. If you're not going in to details, chances are you did something much worse than your leading on.

A word to the wise, man up, pull your pants up tight and answer the door. You can't run from the police forever. Depending on the department, you'll hear a knock, then your door is coming off it's hinges (knock and announce warrant.) Probably nothing that serious though, hopefully. Also all you're doing is giving the prosecutor more and more fuel. "So Mr. so and so, you avoided the police, yet say you're innocent? Why would you run if you had nothing to hide?"

If the officer was actually offering a class c over a class a if you answered the door, you screwed the pooch my friend. instead of a fine, you'll be seeing jail time if convicted, pending age and actual details of the event. Good luck.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

I was arrested for battery right about a month ago. I was drunk, someone got between me and a person I was having a screaming match with, and said interloper ended up losing a tooth. Since it was someone I'm close to, we're working it all out privately but the DA is deciding to press charges anyway despite everyone involved not wanting to.

Here's how the situation's working in my case, YMMV. I was told by the police that it would be a B misdemeanor. Once the DA got ahold of it, it was bumped to a class A. You are, at the least, looking at a class A at this point. The DA gets to decide what charges are pressed, not the police. They can give input but there's no way you're getting out of this with a class C. I'm willing to bet you have a warrant issued and, if you continue to dodge the cops, you'll probably be looking at a class C felony.

Don't be stupider than you've already been getting into this situation in the first place. You ****ed up. Now you have to own it. Contact an attorney first thing in the morning. If you have no record and turn yourself in, there's a chance you'll get off with paying a fine, taking anger management, and doing probation.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    He's gotta mean DA, DEA wouldn't touch this with a 10 foot pole, even if drugs were involved I doubt very seriously it's a large enough amount to interest them.

If you flat out ground and pounded the guy, threw the first punch, and he didn't do anything but talk about you, that's gonna be a good class A assault, I don't even know why they said anything about Class C.

If he's that messed up, he's probably going to press charges, hell I would. If you can prove he instigated the ordeal, it may help in court. If you're not going in to details, chances are you did something much worse than your leading on.

A word to the wise, man up, pull your pants up tight and answer the door. You can't run from the police forever. Depending on the department, you'll hear a knock, then your door is coming off it's hinges (knock and announce warrant.) Probably nothing that serious though, hopefully. Also all you're doing is giving the prosecutor more and more fuel. "So Mr. so and so, you avoided the police, yet say you're innocent? Why would you run if you had nothing to hide?"

If the officer was actually offering a class c over a class a if you answered the door, you screwed the pooch my friend. instead of a fine, you'll be seeing jail time if convicted, pending age and actual details of the event. Good luck.
    Thanks for the information. I didn't leave any details out about what happened at the fight no point in posting in a forum leaving out details that can affect the situation. Might as well not even ask the question if I'm not going to give accurate information. The only stuff I didn't get into is what he did to me which lead to me going to fight him.

Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post
    I was arrested for battery right about a month ago. I was drunk, someone got between me and a person I was having a screaming match with, and said interloper ended up losing a tooth. Since it was someone I'm close to, we're working it all out privately but the DA is deciding to press charges anyway despite everyone involved not wanting to.

Here's how the situation's working in my case, YMMV. I was told by the police that it would be a B misdemeanor. Once the DA got ahold of it, it was bumped to a class A. You are, at the least, looking at a class A at this point. The DA gets to decide what charges are pressed, not the police. They can give input but there's no way you're getting out of this with a class C. I'm willing to bet you have a warrant issued and, if you continue to dodge the cops, you'll probably be looking at a class C felony.

Don't be stupider than you've already been getting into this situation in the first place. You ****ed up. Now you have to own it. Contact an attorney first thing in the morning. If you have no record and turn yourself in, there's a chance you'll get off with paying a fine, taking anger management, and doing probation.
    This is what I was looking for thanks. I am going to contact a lawyer tomorrow and see what they say.

On another note, to all the young WBB users out there: you might be able to enjoy this sort of tom-foolery while you're a minor but the moment you hit 18 (17 in some cases) the law will hold your ass responsible for your actions.

Plus girls with class won't want to hang out with or date someone who is a liability in social situations. And the harder you punch someone the harder the law will come on to you, and the more likely it is that you'll break your knuckles from punching.

Sounds like VikingWarlord already kinda gave you the low-down method115 and another piece of advice I'd give you is once you have an attorney to list your priorities. If you need to reach a plea bargain of some sort you'll most likely be more open-minded to fines, community service, house arrest, and anger management over more serious penalties including but not limited to jail time. If you want to be able to spend time with your daughter or need to be able to work then make sure your attorney knows these sorts of things.

Anyway good luck. Most of my friends have had some sort of brush with the law, including myself, and I've been lucky enough to get a judge who seemed to be able to forgive someone who made a mistake but whose other accomplishments have all been in order.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

You definitely need to turn yourself in. They'll get you eventually whether you answer your door or not.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Talk to a lawyer he said to avoid the cops until he can check to see if I have a warrant or not.

Call the police department and ask them if you have a warrant or not, you don't need him doing the legwork for you, and chances are, there's no warrant yet unless it's an in hand, and they're not going to tell you yes/no, they'll show up where you work in a few hours or tomorrow and carry your ass out in cuffs, embarrassing the living **** out of you, don't worry. Let me know how much you end up paying for court costs, lawyer, DA fees, Warrant fees, and how long you kiss your ass good bye by the time all of this is over with.
    Last edited by Mark!; 03-24-2010 at 08:19 AM.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Call the police department and ask them if you have a warrant or not, you don't need him doing the legwork for you, and chances are, there's no warrant yet unless it's an in hand, and they're not going to tell you yes/no, they'll show up where you work in a few hours or tomorrow and carry your ass out in cuffs, embarrassing the living **** out of you, don't worry. Let me know how much you end up paying for court costs, lawyer, DA fees, Warrant fees, and how long you kiss your ass good bye by the time all of this is over with.
    What?

If you're not a habitual offender and don't live in a crappy area, they won't be like that. Most police are reasonable unless they think you're a threat.

Like you said, it's going to depend on where he lives. If he lives in a big city, chances are he'll fall prey to first offender harshness. They'll make an example of his first offense because they "think" it will change his outlook. And regardless of the police being reasonable, I've yet to come across a DA's office that was. If the victim doesn't want to press charges, and the DA's office doesn't care one way or another, he's gold, but if he's got a DA that really wants to play the part...he'll have obstacles to overcome.

Granted, I've worked for a larger city police department for 3 years, one of the largest in the state, I'm used to our DA's office not giving anyone a break. Dallas County DA's don't care one way or another, if it's above a Class B, they're after you. And we can be as reasonable as possible, but showing up at a guys work, serving him papers, and walking him out in hand cuffs usually results in embarrassment, and loss of employment if it's a reputable place of employment.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

It all comes down to how bad the damage on the guy is. Listen to your lawyer and if there is a warrant you and he will go down and turn yourselves in. If it is Class A, you will most likely get a fine and some community service - I did not have to do anger management like Viking said. If it goes to Class C Felony, usually you can get that knocked down to a misdemeanor - my buddy got his knocked to a misdemeanor. Granted this stuff was like 15 years ago, back then you could crack people in the heads with bats and nothing really happened, now a days you get in a bar fight and everyone is going to jail.

Guy ran his mouth, you kicked his arse. Case closed. Did you feel like your daughter's safety was threatened?
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Quote Originally Posted by BilltheButcher View Post
    If it is Class A, you will most likely get a fine and some community service - I did not have to do anger management like Viking said.
    I based what I said on only my experience. The plea the DA is planning to offer me is exactly what I said. $318 fine, a year probation, and anger management.

I wish I could get off with just community service. I'm sure the charity work I already do would count anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post
    I based what I said on only my experience. The plea the DA is planning to offer me is exactly what I said. $318 fine, a year probation, and anger management.

I wish I could get off with just community service. I'm sure the charity work I already do would count anyway.
    Ya, sorry. I was just basing mine on my experience, just saying I didn't have to do the things you had to do. You figured if you paid for the guys dental stuff, that would be enough.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

@OP method115

dude trying to hide or run from the police is the worse thing you could do. It only makes you look more guilty and in the wrong. besides they will eventually catch up with you and then it's gonna be very bad on you.

Just say you were trying to protect your daughter, that she or you felt threatened.
    BTW are you big bber /lifter type? are you juicing? cause this will /may become an issue too.

if you do get off with light criminal charge, you will likely still face civil action. This guy is gonna try to sue you. and you will likely loose, means he'll collect from your wages till the award amount is paid off.

Kicking somebody's ass feels great, but at times you pay for it in the end.
    Last edited by Rugby Dad; 03-24-2010 at 02:04 PM.

Had to grab my penal code book and dust it off. Class A simple assault in Texas punishable by not more then 1 year in a county corrections facility and/or 2 years probation and/or a fine no greater than $4,000. That's simple assault w/minor injury. If it's serious bodily injury, I believe it becomes more complicated.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Yeah they might come for you or they might not, he hasn't told us everything about the nature of his offense. I absolutely agree, however, that it's in his best interest to make sure he doesn't get arrested in public. If you have a warrant out for your arrest and you don't know about it would suck if in the middle of a family road trip he gets pulled over 200 miles from home while driving the family car and his wife and kids have to watch him get put in the back of a squad car and driven away.

What sucks is that if this were to happen to a poor person there's a good chance they'd end up in jail or prison. Hope you've been saving some $$ for legal fees...
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Ok so I found out that there is no warrant for my arrest..yet. My lawyer said they could just be investigating what happened. I asked him what I should do in the mean time and he said just stay away from the cops.

A mutual acquaintance of ours told me that he's been talking to a cop in his apartment and that the cop said there going to mail me a court date. This just seems weird to me but who knows.

The guy has made a big mistake though because he's been telling everyone at his job about his plan to get revenge. He's supposable supposed to come this weekend to my house with his brothers and uncle. I'm thinking I should go ahead and call the police for him making threats against me and my family. He's told this same thing to at least 8+ people at work including all of his managers.

Quote Originally Posted by d'Anconia View Post
    Yeah they might come for you or they might not, he hasn't told us everything about the nature of his offense.
    Are you trying to say I haven't told you guys everything about what I did? If you are listen, I would not post for help on something like this and not say exactly what happened during the fight. Doing so just waste my time because little differences like if I used a weapon or not can make a huge difference in what will happen to me.

The guy was in his car I hit him 5-6 times and that was it. I said it was so much more brutal then my school fight because in that fight the guy had no marks just a small bump on his head. This guys face started swelling up the minute I stopped. He had a black eye and cheek and not sure what else. He even continued to work that day.

Everything here can be used in court against you, so make sure if you testify, it's the same as what you've said here, just fyi. If he's making those threatening statements, if it were me, I would call and file a harassment charge. You have withheld information, you've never exactly said what he did to provoke you to hit him "5 or 6 times." I'm inclined to ask, however you're not obligated to answer. Justify as you try, but physically assaulting a guy because he said something to you or your daughter, flipped you the bird, cut you off etc...isn't exactly eye for an eye. What's even worse is you assaulted him while he was sitting in his vehicle. Kind of pussed out a bit didn't you? You're story is sketchy, like you're hiding something. You came to a weight lifting forum to ask legal advice, you've probably hired a lawyer, or you're just using the free consultations, whatever. I sense you're worried about the outcome, as I'm guessing you should be. So...why did you hit him? If you're not willing to answer this, just PM an admin to delete the thread, just say it's for legal reasons and you wouldn't want to hinder you chances of lying your way out of jail time.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Not putting you down, so don't take this as an insult. I see you are like 5 8" and 145lbs, how big was the other guy?