Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 41 of 41

Thread: Four Laws of Training and Growing: The Perfect Hypertrophy Plan - New Article!

  1. #26
    Wannabebig Member vanfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    81
    So I did day two..
    I had to cut the standing lunges to two sets of 20 each side instead of five as my left hamstrings decided
    to go ping...
    Still followed it exactly after that.......what I like about this program is that a lot of his program correlates with what the head Trainer where I work says.. and as a trainer myself going through the workout today I 'got' what he was doing as opposed to a lot of other programs I see on the internet where its obvious there isn't a clue...
    I really like this program and am going to follow it for some time.. and yes I am tired and a wee bit sore...
    "There's no sinner without a future and no Saint without a Past"
    -Babajii Indian Guru

  2. #27
    Senior Member soclydeza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    585
    Finished day 1 of the 3day, great workout, just about everything was hit. Few questions.

    Should I be throwing some ab work in there somewhere?

    Also, its longer than I'm used to (i was doing WBB orginal before, low volume, got done with each workout in like 30-45 mins) would this possibly lead to overtraining? i dont take the sets to failure, usually leave a tad bit left in the tank

    for the floor presses, could i just do half presses on a bench, not letting my arms go down and further than parallel to the floor? i did that today and it seemed to workout great

    its a great workout though, cant wait til i get a few weeks into it

  3. #28
    Wannabebig Member vanfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    81
    Well I wanted to do Day 3 today but I had to teach tonight....and I'm teaching Bootcamp Friday morning so I'm going to give day 3 a try on Sunday...this 46 year old needs a little bit more time kids..
    That being said before I did my class tonight I was still feeling the effects of day 2..
    so I'm eager to see what happens on Day 3...
    I just bought an enormous jug of chocolate milk and dessicated liver tabs, so yeah Daddy's ready....
    "There's no sinner without a future and no Saint without a Past"
    -Babajii Indian Guru

  4. #29
    Wannabebig Member vanfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by vanfreak View Post
    Well I wanted to do Day 3 today but I had to teach tonight....and I'm teaching Bootcamp Friday morning so I'm going to give day 3 a try on Sunday...this 46 year old needs a little bit more time kids..
    That being said before I did my class tonight I was still feeling the effects of day 2..
    so I'm eager to see what happens on Day 3...
    I just bought an enormous jug of chocolate milk and dessicated liver tabs, so yeah Daddy's ready....
    Well did Day Three, and again I really really like the program.The only problem was that the Gym was PACKED!! I was also training with a close friend of mine and neither one of us could concentrate.Still I managed to get through it, in spite of having to wait a few times to get the right equipment.Feeling it in my shoulders and traps today pullups were a bit of a challenge but one of the biggest differences i notice is doing more of a dynamic warm up as opposed to a pissy ten minute treadmill one..
    definitely good...these programs are keepers and I will begin experiemnting on some of my clients with it...
    "There's no sinner without a future and no Saint without a Past"
    -Babajii Indian Guru

  5. #30
    Senior Member soclydeza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    585
    got through 2 weeks of the 3day, starting week 3 today. i feel like this is a very well designed program, it challenges me everytime i go to the gym and i feel like my muscles are consistently stimulated throughout the week, but not so much that im overtraining or dont have time to recover. great routine

  6. #31
    House Lannister
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,282
    Quote Originally Posted by vanfreak View Post
    Well did Day Three, and again I really really like the program.The only problem was that the Gym was PACKED!! I was also training with a close friend of mine and neither one of us could concentrate.Still I managed to get through it, in spite of having to wait a few times to get the right equipment.Feeling it in my shoulders and traps today pullups were a bit of a challenge but one of the biggest differences i notice is doing more of a dynamic warm up as opposed to a pissy ten minute treadmill one..
    definitely good...these programs are keepers and I will begin experiemnting on some of my clients with it...
    Hey man you might want to start a journal instead of posting your workout experiences here. I'm thinkin' that this thread was designed to discuss the actual specifics of the program, not members' individual workout experiences.

  7. #32
    Wannabebig New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1
    Hi first of all I must congratulate Mike for this article, it is just awesome.
    I have a couple of questions and i'll be glad if anyone could answer them.
    Im able to hit the gym 5 times per week, should I pick the 5 day routine? Im asking because Mike says that is the best to train muscle 2-3 times per week, does the 5 day schedule fit it better than the 4 day split??
    Thanks!

  8. #33
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    43
    Good read and maybe this is the dumbass in me, but what really is the true answer for intensity or more so perhaps speed? Obviously like the article states and just common knowledge, you want to give every ounce of energy you have, but really how fast should one push these reps out? I see huge guys at the gym all the time bench fast as hell. I see huge guys at the gym bench slow as hell. What is the answer?

  9. #34
    Soon to be lean... Joe Black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, England
    Posts
    10,936
    Quote Originally Posted by spania View Post
    Hi first of all I must congratulate Mike for this article, it is just awesome.
    I have a couple of questions and i'll be glad if anyone could answer them.
    Im able to hit the gym 5 times per week, should I pick the 5 day routine? Im asking because Mike says that is the best to train muscle 2-3 times per week, does the 5 day schedule fit it better than the 4 day split??
    Thanks!
    Either of the routines will produce great results, the 3/4/5 day splits are really to fit in with your lifestyle/time commitments, so just pick the one that fits with you the best.

    The 4 day split though seems to hit the muscle groups the most frequently, but if you prefer the body part split, go for routine #3.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

    Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

  10. #35
    Soon to be lean... Joe Black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, England
    Posts
    10,936
    Quote Originally Posted by pf289 View Post
    Good read and maybe this is the dumbass in me, but what really is the true answer for intensity or more so perhaps speed? Obviously like the article states and just common knowledge, you want to give every ounce of energy you have, but really how fast should one push these reps out? I see huge guys at the gym all the time bench fast as hell. I see huge guys at the gym bench slow as hell. What is the answer?
    Experiment a little and find what works for you. Personally I think Mike's explanation of having stability and control on the negative portion of the rep and firing it off as fast as possible in the concentric phase is a good way of going about things.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

    Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

  11. #36
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    43
    Sounds good man

  12. #37
    Wannabebig New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1
    I just wanted to report that Im making big gains with this program. If on my 5th week and one question comes to my mind: Guys, In order to have some sort of periodization, which approach do you think is the best for the next weeks to come: Should I keep up with the program as it is until week 8 or hitting plateau? Maybe switching rep ranges? if so which range would you recommend? Or maybe should I keep the rep ranges and switch some of the main exercises (front squat for back squat, DB incline for BB incline). Any response is welcome Thanks everyone.
    I hope you are enjoying this program as much as I am.

  13. #38
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    24
    hey i know im bringing this one back from the dead but im just curious if anyone else has had any success with the routines in this article? lately i believe the "less is more" concept has taken over and halted any gains. and ive noticed these routines use a fair amount of volume, maybe its what my body needs. any opinions are appreciated, thank you

  14. #39
    Senior Member soclydeza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    585
    me too. i ran this routine a bunch last spring and i loved it, then i switched over to hct 12 for a while. for the past month ive been going into the gym "routineless" and trying different stuff since ive been too busy lately to really regulate my gym attendance. once this semester ends im going back on this routine and getting everything back in line.

    just curious, has anyone stuck with this routine for 4+ months? i had great results from it, which is why im going back. just wondering what kind of results the rest of you got.
    Friends don't let friends slam weights on the ground after every set

  15. #40
    Wannabebig Member vanfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by soclydeza View Post
    me too. i ran this routine a bunch last spring and i loved it, then i switched over to hct 12 for a while. for the past month ive been going into the gym "routineless" and trying different stuff since ive been too busy lately to really regulate my gym attendance. once this semester ends im going back on this routine and getting everything back in line.

    just curious, has anyone stuck with this routine for 4+ months? i had great results from it, which is why im going back. just wondering what kind of results the rest of you got.
    I agree...this is one of the best programs if not the best program I have ever been on.I got amazing results as well.I usually cycle through it from full body,upper lower split, five day split and back again..occassionally I'll change the exercises to either make them more challenging or depending on how I feel regress them a bit.But it is solid..I use this to train the two younger guys I work with who are new trainers, the results on them are amazing as well....
    "There's no sinner without a future and no Saint without a Past"
    -Babajii Indian Guru

  16. #41
    Wannabebig New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1

    no title

    quick question.... are we ramping weight by set or by week,

Similar Threads

  1. Strongman Training for Maximum Hypertrophy by Tom Mutaffis - New Article!
    By Joe Black in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 02-04-2011, 08:16 AM
  2. Hypertrophy Training
    By FortifiedIron in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-29-2006, 04:06 PM
  3. Training for hypertrophy
    By SquareHead in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-09-2003, 09:12 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •