Thread: powerlifting training with no chalk.

Wannabebig Member

powerlifting training with no chalk.

Historically, I have disdained people that use weightlifting gloves.

However, I am wondering if using them may make up for the lack of chalk at the facility I use.

Then again, gloves may actually weaken my grip by providing a crutch.

What do y'all think?

If you wear them in the gym to train in and then expect to hold on to a deadlift in a meet without them, that's not gonna work

Why can't you use chalk? If your gym doesn't allow it, there's a substitute that is somewhat effective, but it doesn't work as well

Other than that, switch gyms!!!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

switch gyms immediatly. why have you not already?! go somewhere and learn some things.

Wannabebig Member
    Might find some substitute. Or maybe I could just, like, use the chalk anyway. Switching gyms is not feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by stik View Post
    Might find some substitute. Or maybe I could just, like, use the chalk anyway. Switching gyms is not feasible.
    I'd go to a different gym. BUT since you say you can't do that, I have 3 suggestions based on things I've done in the past:

1) use the chalk and risk getting thrown out becuase some gyms are anal stupid about it. If you choose this, don't be a tool about the chalk. Wipe it up if you make a mess (this includes wiping the bar down), dont' leave it anywhere where where it'll be a "problem" ---ie spread all over the floor, on the benches, and otherwise outwardly visible and most places won't care even if they say they don't allow it.

However, if you have one of those anal retentive little jerk gym managers that seriously makes me angry sometimes consider the following;

2) take a bottle of baby powder, take the lid off, pour out the baby powder and rinse the bottle out well. then grind up some chalk and put it in the bottle. Keep this in a baggie in your gym bag. use the "baby powder" on your hands. If they say something about the "chalk" tell them no, its baby powder. You are using it to try to make your grip better. Most of the time they just look at you like "UH?" Show them the baby powder bottle if they push it. there are almost never any rules against baby powder.

3) take a cube of chalk, crush it up and put it in a ziplock baggy inside of your gym shorts (you may have to sew in a little pocket in your shorts to hold the baggie for this depending on the shorts you wear . Then reach into your shorts and powder up. If they catch you tell them you are a "bit chaffed" and you were readjusting yourself because of the discomfort. If they give you a hard time about personal hygiene, point out the guy adjusting himself infront of the cardio equipment or the mirror (there is almost always one of those in every commercial gym I've ever been to) If they ask what the powder is, tell them its Gold Bond. If they really push it, ask them if they want to smell the powder to prove it isn't Gold Bond. That part almost always works and they leave you alone.

Bottom line, don't be a tool about the chalk. use it, don't make a mess with it and most of the time you'll get by with it.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JK1 View Post
    I'd go to a different gym. BUT since you say you can't do that, I have 3 suggestions based on things I've done in the past:

1) use the chalk and risk getting thrown out becuase some gyms are anal stupid about it. If you choose this, don't be a tool about the chalk. Wipe it up if you make a mess (this includes wiping the bar down), dont' leave it anywhere where where it'll be a "problem" ---ie spread all over the floor, on the benches, and otherwise outwardly visible and most places won't care even if they say they don't allow it.

However, if you have one of those anal retentive little jerk gym managers that seriously makes me angry sometimes consider the following;

2) take a bottle of baby powder, take the lid off, pour out the baby powder and rinse the bottle out well. then grind up some chalk and put it in the bottle. Keep this in a baggie in your gym bag. use the "baby powder" on your hands. If they say something about the "chalk" tell them no, its baby powder. You are using it to try to make your grip better. Most of the time they just look at you like "UH?" Show them the baby powder bottle if they push it. there are almost never any rules against baby powder.

3) take a cube of chalk, crush it up and put it in a ziplock baggy inside of your gym shorts (you may have to sew in a little pocket in your shorts to hold the baggie for this depending on the shorts you wear . Then reach into your shorts and powder up. If they catch you tell them you are a "bit chaffed" and you were readjusting yourself because of the discomfort. If they give you a hard time about personal hygiene, point out the guy adjusting himself infront of the cardio equipment or the mirror (there is almost always one of those in every commercial gym I've ever been to) If they ask what the powder is, tell them its Gold Bond. If they really push it, ask them if they want to smell the powder to prove it isn't Gold Bond. That part almost always works and they leave you alone.

Bottom line, don't be a tool about the chalk. use it, don't make a mess with it and most of the time you'll get by with it.
    Yup, all the ballys forbid it but I use it anyway. Just need to be discrete about it and always clean up the mess it makes. I throw it all over my back on bench day and get it all over the bench, but I wipe it back up afterwards. Its not my fault the benches at my gym were dipped in motor oil

Just be discrete about it. I leave it in my gym bag in a ziplock bag. I just reach in my gym bag to chalk my hands before the lift and no one seems to notice. This leaves no mess and I just make sure to wipe off the bar when I'm done.

Yeah gloves are ****, use I very small amount of chalk to keep hands dry and then clean up after you.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Quote Originally Posted by stik View Post
    Historically, I have disdained people that use weightlifting gloves.

However, I am wondering if using them may make up for the lack of chalk at the facility I use.

Then again, gloves may actually weaken my grip by providing a crutch.

What do y'all think?
    I think all gyms should allow reasonable chalk for safety reasons. Most gyms in my area do not permit chalk. When I was still going to commercial gyms, I would use stickum spray and liquid chalk (EliteFTS). They were not as good but helped somewhat. Unless the gloves fit perfectly, I think they would make the grip even worse by potential shifting.
    (SQ) 550 (BP) 425 (DL) 550
    5'9" 195lbs.

2014 Goals: 365 raw bench; Triple bodyweight deadlift; 1500 meet total @ 198

YouTube -- http://www.youtube.com/user/CarlDonatiJr?feature=mhee
    Journal -- http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-Get-Stronger!

Gloves will not help you, if anything you can wear straps as long as you are doing independent grip work.

I would tend to agree with JK1's recommendations though - find discreet ways to use chalk and don't make a mess. I am almost sure that the past two gyms where I have trained did not allow chalk but they never said anything to me and I would use it somewhat frequently (in small amounts).

If you really need something other than chalk I have heard of rubber grips (similar to those used to open jars) that you can hold in your hands to give better grip on the barbell.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

i'm in the same boat as you. no chalk allowed in my gym and the gym owner greased the bars up with armor all or something. i tried using gloves a long time ago and it made the problem worse. they tore apart in a few months anyways.

sometimes i take a paper towel and wipe down the bar. it doesn't help much but it's enough to get in one descent rep. i still haven't figured out how to squat straps up though

everybody who has a membership at a gym that does not allow chalk really needs to find a better gym to train at. you just cant meet any real powerlifting potential in a craphole gym like that. surround yourself with the right atmosphere and more importantly the right poeple. also the equipment more then likely is also crap.

My gym doesn't allow chalk, but I showed them my Metolius chalk ball, and said it's what greenie rock climbers use. no mess nor dust. It got the ok. I keep it in a big ziploc bag. It works as well as chalk, imo.

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorge...4&AID=10423463
    6'3" 270#
    Deadlift 505x2 8/1/2010
    Squat 435x1 7/13/2010
    Bench Press 325x1 8/12/2010

You could also get a small Rosin Bag at a sporting goods store and sneak that in. It is very easy to hide in your short pockets. Not quite as effective as mag carb chalk, but will certainly help grip issues.

Rosin bag is what I used to use at gyms that didn't allow chalk. Works well and doesn't make a huge mess.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I dont use chalk until meet time. Helps build up grip strength
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Rosin bag is what I used to use at gyms that didn't allow chalk. Works well and doesn't make a huge mess.
    Also can be used to keep your hand dry to throw a mean curveball.

Just in case that ever comes up, you are prepared.
    Last edited by tnathletics2b; 03-16-2010 at 08:38 AM.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

Wannabebig Member
    I find gloves to be useful when you dont want to rip your hands open everyday so within a few days you cannot even train anymore. I had not trained grip in about 8 months and can still hold 1050 lbs for 8 seconds with a mixed grip; its all in the setup. I think once you do the initial build-up its easy to re-establish what was earned.

Gotta have chalk bro... I got this clear w/ the gym owner before I joined. I explained that I PL and use chalk regularly and he said ok just clean-up. Be discreet w/ it and clean behind yourself & you should be good to go.

I keep mine in a tupperware bowl inside my gym bag.

RC

Wannabebig New Member
    The whole workout took just shy of two hours because of the large number of people, but I felt absolutely incredible when I was done. As I slammed my post-workout drink I remember Bill telling me that Id need to repeat the same workout again the following Wednesday and be back next Sunday for more of the same. Truthfully, I ended up repeating this routine for about three months straight with only minor changes.