Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long do your workouts last?

How long do your workouts last?

I was discussing this with another guy some time ago. We were looking for ways to help up his conditioning a little as well as make his time more efficient in the gym.

What we discovered was his training sessions would last 1 1/2-2hrs long sometimes.

Rest periods between sets as well as various exercises lasted far too long. Once we shortened those up, the sessions seemed to take much less time.

Over time spent in other gyms, I've noticed this in lots of other guys as well. They do a set and then chat with their buddies for the next 10minutes before they do another set

So how long do your training sessions last? Do you take a more leisurely approach to your workout tempo or do you spend very limited time between sets and push yourself hard?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I've got 45-50 minutes max to do what I need to do, so I lift and get r done. I'd like to have another 30 minutes to do some conditioning work, but I just don't have the time.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

50-75 minutes. i'm on SS, so 3 exercises with weight amounts that are difficult for me to handle. i typically rest 3-5 minutes between working sets, not to chat, but to ensure i can complete the rest of my reps. each exercise also requires a few warm up sets prior to the work sets. sometimes if i'm in the groove i can be done in as little as 50 minutes. if i'm feeling weak, and/or i do ab work after, it can go as long as 75 minutes.

Garage Lifter
    45min to 1 hour. I generally have about 12 to 15 working sets and take no more than 3 minutes between sets. Anything longer and my wife gives me a hard time and my focus starts to slip.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    I used to rest anywhere between 1-2 minutes for hypertrophy sets and 3-6 minutes for strength. This has recently been reduced to 30 seconds to 1 minute for hypertrophy and 1.5-2 minutes for strength. We'll see how it goes as far as gains.

I recognized a problem that I was spending too much time resting while in the gym and my workouts were considerably longer.
    Last edited by Progress; 03-16-2010 at 11:44 AM.

I'm on Starting Strength and it takes me about 50 minutes to complete everything. I'm not messing around either with socializing, waiting on the squat rack, etc.

Well,

I'm on a 3 week program; first week is 4-5 minutes rest between sets, second week is 2-3 minutes and the third week is nothing but supersets etc..so just resting long enough to get my breath back.

The time i spend in the gym is based on my program. I know almost everyone in my gym, or at least the "non-ego" guys..(you know the guys, when you come into the dressing room or whatever u call it and they look at you like "i'm gonna own you in there" until you take your tshirt off or whatever) can't stand those guys..funny, but can't stand em..anyways, i know everyone but, besides a "hey how you doing" i hardly use any of my breath talking to someone..

First of all, this is because i like to work my ass off, secondly there are some guys in the gym and seriously they've been their for ages..they lift, they take protein shakes, supps, whatever..but they talk..ALOT..i think i surpassed them all mass/strenght wise in a month or two..

So yeah..i don't talk much..sometimes when i see someone doing an exercise wrong, i'll point it out..but do big ego's listen? nah..so basicly i even waiste my breath doing that..

Yeah i'm going on and on and on, but..i'm sure alot of people (or at least some) will agree that there are ALOT of people in the gym you can't stand..you don't know 'em but, either their talking too much, doing exercises that make you think "wtf dude you are going to end up in the hospital", they are there with their girlfriends and either romancing all the time or trying to impress one another..i like being amongst people but in the gym i live in solitude.
    "When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent." T. Platz

50-90 mins that also includes cardio.

They're days were I train in the am and do cardio later in the afternoon
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

BIG IRON FREAK
    im usually at the gym for 2-2:30 on everyday but squat day. Which im usually there for 3-3:30

I typically dont go over an hour. I definitely do not chit chat in the gym. I am there for a reason and I get it done. On my heavy sets (which are most) I do take a couple minutes between sets.
    On bench days I lift with a crew so I end up at the gym for a good couple hours. We bench and then do accy. work. but significant time between sets. Especially when Im in the shirt
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The...32666473422227
    we forge our bodies in the fire of our will

70-80 minutes including the warm-up. My rest periods are usually 3-5 minutes for heavy compounds (depends how I feel on the day) and about 2 minutes for isolations or higher rep compounds.

About an hour. I rest 3 to 5 minutes between sets for my main lift (5/3/1). I rest 1 to 3 minutes between sets on my accessory lifts depending on the intensity. The hour includes warmups, lifts, and some GPP at the end.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

60-70 minutes. My "nerd watch" has a stop watch which I use to limit myself to 1:30 rest between sets.
    Stats: (11/1/2009)
    Ht: 6'1"
    Weight 250#

Banned
    60-90min.
    I tend to rest one song between sets. So that's generally 2-4min. Waiting for racks/benches, finding plates and doing warmup sets all takes a lot of time though.

Last year they lasted at least 60 minutes sometimes up to 75 minutes.

This year the same type of workouts are done in 45 minutes tops( in regards to weight training ). I realized as I am trying to cut out body fat that shorter rest periods will help a little with my goal ( even if its small everything counts ) and it also helps with my conditioning which was pretty bad last year and has improved alot this year.
    Last edited by View 1; 03-16-2010 at 06:01 PM.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

I used to do just as Travis mentioned, which is take way too long between sets. WBB 1.1 starts you out with about 1 min between sets, and then switches to 2 min. I'm so dorky that I actually went to Target when I started 1.1 and spent 7 bucks on a small digital kitchen timer to monitor my rest between sets. I've only seen one other person do that, but he was pretty big so I'm good with it.

WBB 1.1 takes me between 50 - 70 minutes to do, depending on whether it's upper body or lower body.
    Last edited by Bosch232; 03-16-2010 at 07:06 PM.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    45min-90min. I time all of my rest intervals.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

I usually lift with my friends (everyone workouts and makes it easy for spotting one another) and it takes me, depending what I'm working out, 45 mins to an hour and a half. I do like to take a little bit longer between sets and sometimes this equates to chatting with my friends but I feel like I'm more able to complete my later sets with a harder intensity with a longer rest (3-4 mins sometimes)
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 175

B: 255x1 DL: 375x1 SQ: work in progress

Goals: B-275 D-400 S-275 Weight- 180

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    About 30 minutes give or take (not including warm-up)

45 minutes to 1 hour.

I usually workout alone, and also I try to not take too much resting time between sets so I guess I go pretty hard.
    Last edited by Pure Water; 03-16-2010 at 11:54 PM.

This is going to sound crazy but, I actually spend about 3 hours at the gym. I spend about an hour playing basketball, an hour on my powerlifting / metabolic conditioning, and I put about an hour in for aquatics. When I leave, let's just say I feel like i'm on dopamine from all of the endorphins i've released. Many people would probably tell me that's too much and to split it up, which I will once the weather breaks in the AM.
    -deltoids anonomous

My times vary a lot. it is actually kinda of annoying. I get stuck helping people sometimes,an unfortunate side effect of knowing people at the gym. Or talking to the opposite sex,I know the gym is for work but I never pass up the next opportunity I get! So between 70min and 120min on the high end.
    "The deadlift is more functional in that its very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    About 30 minutes give or take (not including warm-up)
    How frequently do you work out?

powerlifter in training Liftersize's Avatar
    1-2 hours depending on what im doing. However alot of this time is warm up and rest between sets
    Current Stats: 6'1 185
    Deadlift 480 Bench 280 Squat 365 Raw Total: 1,125
    Front Squat 295
    My New Journal!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...49#post2331749

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    How frequently do you work out?

3 times a week usually. But I don't train bodyparts per se. I train exercises/movements. So it could be the squat and chin-up one day, the leg press and bench the next, and the third could be the deadlift and dip.

My training is centered around full-body movements or major muscle groups. Ab workouts "float" meaning I train them on any two days that I work out on...just not necessarily the same days every time.

I usually do no more than 8-10 sets per work out. But these are full out work sets (remember I said I don't count warm-up.)
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 03-17-2010 at 10:02 PM.