The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

Beginning strongman training: DIY and budget implements

I'm sure Tom could answer all of these questions, but I thought it would be a good idea to post it onto the Forum, in case anyone else has similar questions. I know Tom has a Q&A thread in the BB forum, but I figured this would be a more appropriate section.

Anyways, I'm going to be moving into a house in a neighborhood in June, so this allows me to have a few pieces of equipment in my garage. I'm thinking about outfitting it with a few strongman implements. I'm very interested in getting into training strongman, but the nearest group that works implements on the weekend is on the southside of Denver, kind of far for me to go every week, especially with my busy schedule. I really want to start getting into strongman, might do a couple strongman meets next month.

Anyways, onto the questions:

Implements:

1. Standard Implements - Based on Tom's article, I'm going to shoot for the following:
    - Stones
    - Bigass Tire
    - Farmers Walk
    - Some sort of log
    - Heavy DBs to clean and press
    - Sled
    - Some sort of yoke/stone platform combo thing

Anything I'm missing? I have access to a welder so I can probably have him make some of these items, like the yoke or stone platform. I am on a budget so I may DIY on a lot of these.

2. Can anyone provide resources for DIY implements or equipment reviews?

3. making your own stones - how hard is it? Did you buy or make your own mold? Any size I should focus on? I did some research and it sounds like you can use a single Slater mold for a few weights, might go that route unless others have any input.

I'm sure I'll think of a lot more ******ed questions, i'll keep updating this thread as neeed

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

http://www.bodyresults.com/S2stone.asp

tires are easy enough, find a tire shop that deals with very large vehicles. It costs them money to dispose of tires, so tell 'em you're into strongman and you'll haul it away for free. DO NOT PAY FOR A TIRE.

check out craigslist for telephone poles. There's a guy in my area that sells phone poles at $5/foot at whatever diameter I want. I'm planning on getting a 5ft pole and putting a 1.5" ID galvanized pipe on each end of it with a floor flange to attach to the "log". From there, just carve out the handles and get a .75" ID pipe and flanges to attach for your handles. Shouldn't cost more than $50 and it's plate loaded.

for heavy dbs, get some 2" pipe and cut it to however long you want, then use some hockey tape to edge off the handles, or if you can use galvanized pipe and couplings (what I did) and some old school twist on clamps. I've loaded mine up to 180lbs thus far..

I train stones and everything else at my buddy's house and he has all that ****.. so I'm not much additional help there. That's awesome you're getting into SM.. You still planning on raw nats?
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JSully View Post
    http://www.bodyresults.com/S2stone.asp

tires are easy enough, find a tire shop that deals with very large vehicles. It costs them money to dispose of tires, so tell 'em you're into strongman and you'll haul it away for free. DO NOT PAY FOR A TIRE.

check out craigslist for telephone poles. There's a guy in my area that sells phone poles at $5/foot at whatever diameter I want. I'm planning on getting a 5ft pole and putting a 1.5" ID galvanized pipe on each end of it with a floor flange to attach to the "log". From there, just carve out the handles and get a .75" ID pipe and flanges to attach for your handles. Shouldn't cost more than $50 and it's plate loaded.

for heavy dbs, get some 2" pipe and cut it to however long you want, then use some hockey tape to edge off the handles, or if you can use galvanized pipe and couplings (what I did) and some old school twist on clamps. I've loaded mine up to 180lbs thus far..

I train stones and everything else at my buddy's house and he has all that ****.. so I'm not much additional help there. That's awesome you're getting into SM.. You still planning on raw nats?
    Damn Dude, this is very informative. I will take all of this into consideration and will look into DIY on a lot of these things. Keep me informed when you get the pole... Wonder how you are going to carve it out? Think you could get me a pic of your DB setup? I plan on doing DB overheads with these, do the clamps hold tight?

I'm still planning on doing raw nats for sure. I've just been seriously contemplating bulking up after july and strongman would be a good outlet for all that big boy strength and size.

Banned
    I may also recruit Kiaran in Denver to help me build a few platforms to throw the stones onto. He's really good with some wooden DIY products

I see a huge strongman implement DIY thread with pictures coming soon!

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...382-DB-Handles

I took an old inner tube and cut it up and used that under the screw on clamp.. I do "circus dumbell" presses with mine.. I just added them into my "regular" routine..

One of these days' I'll update my log and stay on top of it.

oh, and about the log press.. I'll probably use a chainsaw to carve out where your hands will go, then the flange and nipple for the handles.. if I carve it out too big, I'll throw some plywood in there or something to tighten it up.. long screws are a must..
    Last edited by JSully; 03-16-2010 at 04:36 PM.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Wannabebig Member WhateverItTakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post

Implements:

1. Standard Implements - Based on Tom's article, I'm going to shoot for the following:
    - Stones
    - Bigass Tire
    - Farmers Walk
    - Some sort of log
    - Sled
    Stones: http://www.slatershardware.com/stonemolds.html
    My first mold is the 18 inch mold. Not hard to do at all. Just follow the instructions on their site. And the guys at Slater are great people and are very helpful. You could also just go outside and look for big natural stones to lift and load. But if you really want to compete in strongman, then you need the real stone mold to make the stones.

Tire: Go to local tire shops (preferably ones that deal with large commercial construction equipment). They will give it to you for free b/c it costs them money to get rid of. A starting size might be a 23.5 x 25. But everyone is different so check it out for yourself.

Farmer Walk Handles: I made these... http://jva.ontariostrongman.ca/TITEFW.htm and they work out great for me. No welding required. I got the material from home depot.

Yoke: I made this as well (not me in the picture).... http://img101.imagevenue.com/img.php...8_PICT0379.JPG
    Works great, and no welding required. I made mine with 1.5in side rails and a 2 in top crossbar.

Log: I tried making my own log and it was very hard to do. I don't like the idea of making my own. I bought the log from Pitbull Strongman... http://www.marunde-muscle.com/pitbull.html
    It was $310 with shipping and well worth the price. Weighs 90lbs empty and is easy to move and durable.

Dumbells: I would follow the advice given in previous posts.

Axle: Axles are very important to strongman training. 2inches is the typical diameter. You could just get a piece of 2in pipe from home depot and slip hose clamps or something on and use that as inner collars. Just make sure the plates fit, otherwise you may need to use a 1.5in diameter pipe and sleeve shorter length 2in. diameter pipe over it. That's what I did.

Sled: Some guys just use a regular truck tire and place a piece of plywood inside it so you can put the plates on it and put an "I" bolt in the side wall so you can attach the rope/harness. I made mine out of 2x4 as the skids and a piece of plywood onto with a pipe standing upright to put the plates on. Another option some people do is use the top of a wheel barrel as the sled and just drill a hole and put an "I" bolt in it.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have anymore questions. Good luck with training
    Last edited by WhateverItTakes; 03-17-2010 at 05:38 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WhateverItTakes View Post
    Stones: http://www.slatershardware.com/stonemolds.html
    My first mold is the 18 inch mold. Not hard to do at all. Just follow the instructions on their site. And the guys at Slater are great people and are very helpful. You could also just go outside and look for big natural stones to lift and load. But if you really want to compete in strongman, then you need the real stone mold to make the stones.

Tire: Go to local tire shops (preferably ones that deal with large commercial construction equipment). They will give it to you for free b/c it costs them money to get rid of. A starting size might be a 23.5 x 25. But everyone is different so check it out for yourself.

Farmer Walk Handles: I made these... http://jva.ontariostrongman.ca/TITEFW.htm and they work out great for me. No welding required. I got the material from home depot.

Yoke: I made this as well (not me in the picture).... http://img101.imagevenue.com/img.php...8_PICT0379.JPG
    Works great, and no welding required. I made mine with 1.5in side rails and a 2 in top crossbar.

Log: I tried making my own log and it was very hard to do. I don't like the idea of making my own. I bought the log from Pitbull Strongman... http://www.marunde-muscle.com/pitbull.html
    It was $310 with shipping and well worth the price. Weighs 90lbs empty and is easy to move and durable.

Dumbells: I would follow the advice given in previous posts.

Axle: Axles are very important to strongman training. 2inches is the typical diameter. You could just get a piece of 2in pipe from home depot and slip hose clamps or something on and use that as inner collars. Just make sure the plates fit, otherwise you may need to use a 1.5in diameter pipe and sleeve shorter length 2in. diameter pipe over it. That's what I did.

Sled: Some guys just use a regular truck tire and place a piece of plywood inside it so you can put the plates on it and put an "I" bolt in the side wall so you can attach the rope/harness. I made mine out of 2x4 as the skids and a piece of plywood onto with a pipe standing upright to put the plates on. Another option some people do is use the top of a wheel barrel as the sled and just drill a hole and put an "I" bolt in it.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have anymore questions. Good luck with training
    I've got a question about the molds. Is the 18" mold a pretty standard size stone? I know that you can always tweak the weights of the stones (aka, make 4 different 18" stones of varying weights), but is this a normal size stone for strongman?

I'm going to work with a crew this weekend, might see if I can just "rent" or borrow some molds from someone there.

This is a VERY helpful post. Between you and Jsully, this is all the information I need. I will build my implements in a couple of months when I have room in my new house.

I sure hope some others find this thread helpful!
    Last edited by Cmanuel; 03-18-2010 at 11:04 AM.

Banned
    http://www.discussfitness.com/forums...ent-36151.html

Here's a great link I found with a lot of good DIY strongman implement information.

Love this thread! Great idea, manuel. I am definitely taking notes!
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

I found that link yesterday as I'm planning on making stones in the near future.. I like their stone article

Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

i have nothing valuable to contribute, but this sounds awesome!

Banned
    I found that link yesterday as I'm planning on making stones in the near future.. I like their stone article
    I saw that link as well. Very thorough and excellent writeup. Wondering if its cost effective though:

Total Expense: Around $90 CDN
    I want to make 4 stones at about 30-40lbs difference each, but I'm thinking a single slater mold with various inserts might be more cost effective. Especially if you can find someone with a mold that is willing to loan it. What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by Cmanuel; 03-18-2010 at 11:42 AM.

I've got a question about the molds. Is the 18" mold a pretty standard size stone? I know that you can always tweak the weights of the stones (aka, make 4 different 18" stones of varying weights), but is this a normal size stone for strongman?

I'm going to work with a crew this weekend, might see if I can just "rent" or borrow some molds from someone there.

This is a VERY helpful post. Between you and Jsully, this is all the information I need. I will build my implements in a couple of months when I have room in my new house.

I sure hope some others find this thread helpful!
    An 18" mold is a pretty good size to start with. Being strong is one thing, but being able to lift stones is another thing. An 18" mold allows you to make about a 240lber with straight cement, a foam insert will lighten it a bit and you could add a 50lb insert to make it about 275. That is a pretty good starting weight range and I would say that 4 out of the 5 stones used for most LW comps are made from 18" molds. So I would say to start with that. The 20" mold is significantly bigger and when you lighten that, it comes to about 300lbs which is pretty heavy especially for that larger diameter.

Garage Lifter
    Not to hijack the thread but I have a quick question about log pressing. In competition does it need to be strict or can it be a push press/push jerk?
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    Not to hijack the thread but I have a quick question about log pressing. In competition does it need to be strict or can it be a push press/push jerk?
    push press/push jerk is good... unless the rules state otherwise..

If you're going to be making 3-4 stones then borrowing a mold would probably be the best idea. I plan on making 3-4 but I plan on making my lightest 300lbs so that I'm always training heavy. I'm never going to be LW so I've got to get used to those bigger stones regardless. I'm pondering getting a 22" mold and using a foam insert to lighten it up for my smaller stone, but I'm not positive if I want to spend the dough on that quite yet. Great input WhateveritTakes.

WhateveritTakes, what size mold do they use for the 400+lb stones or the 533lb stone they used at the arnold? Are they the same size, just with a ****load of metal inserts?
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

holy crap, $165 for a 22" mold..

looks like my first 2 smaller stones will be homemade, lol..
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Banned
    Jake, check out this document on stones. A lot of it is training theory but the author seems pretty experienced with stone making and there's a lot of good information towards the end.

Some things to point out from that document: http://www.purepowerathlete.com/file...ones.docSlater hardware sells used molds from time to time, call them up and see whats available.
    Some places rent out stone molds:
    http://www.vincesmuscleshop.com/Stone-molds.htm EDIT, i guess this place is no longer renting stone molds, maybe there are others around that rent?
    Last edited by Cmanuel; 03-18-2010 at 01:09 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    I've made 3 stones with the Slater molds (we borrowed them from someone in the area) and they all came out great. We added weights to them to change the weight of the stones. When doing so we sat them in a tire to help balance them and keep them in a perfect round shape. I think one we sat the bottom in a base of a construction cone or baracade of some sort and that worked as well.

Honestly, finding a welder in your area would be the best bet. We have had a lot of things custom built and they are as solid as they come, and if you talk to the person they can probably customize it however you like (heavier base weight, handle height etc). Plus, they are probably cheaper than ordering off the internet as shipping wouldn't be a factor.

push press/push jerk is good... unless the rules state otherwise..

If you're going to be making 3-4 stones then borrowing a mold would probably be the best idea. I plan on making 3-4 but I plan on making my lightest 300lbs so that I'm always training heavy. I'm never going to be LW so I've got to get used to those bigger stones regardless. I'm pondering getting a 22" mold and using a foam insert to lighten it up for my smaller stone, but I'm not positive if I want to spend the dough on that quite yet. Great input WhateveritTakes.

WhateveritTakes, what size mold do they use for the 400+lb stones or the 533lb stone they used at the arnold? Are they the same size, just with a ****load of metal inserts?
    I agree, if you are looking to compete as a HW then then you would not use anything under a 20" mold and the lightest stone in a series would be 275lbs.

And to be honest, I am not 100% sure what size stone they use at the Arnold. It is either a 20" mold with a 200lb insert or a 22" mold with a heavy insert. But I don't think you would really need a 22" mold. I think that might be overkill. I think the 20" mold is a pretty common and "comfortable" size. Have you ever lifted an atlas stone before? If not, then I would recommend you go somewhere and try them if that is at all possible, so that way you can better gauge what size and weight you might want/need. if not, then the 20" mold might be your best bet to start with. Just my .02

Some awesome stuff here. I'll more than likely make the farmers walk implements and a sled and I'll get a tire. I want to combine powerlifting stuff with strongman stuff... Probably use strongman as conditioning work. Great info in here.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    holy crap, $165 for a 22" mold..

looks like my first 2 smaller stones will be homemade, lol..
    I definitely would not recommend a 22" mold if you are looking for versatility. The lightest that you can get a 22" stone is about 350 lbs and a strait pour is 400 lbs.

For training purposes you are much better off with a 20" mold or perhaps a 21" if you are a good stone loader. With a 20" mold you can make stones ranging from 280 lbs to 400 lbs, though it is easiest to make them in the 300-375 lbs range and a strait pour is 335 lbs (great training stone). A 21" you can make stones ranging from 300-420 lbs and a strait pour is 354 lbs.

At one point I had only a single 354 lbs stone to train with and we would basically just do a couple of reps after each session. Eventually I started training with a group that had stones from 265 lbs - 425 lbs and this allowed for more rep work and versatility as well as heavy singles. There are some great HW stone loaders who have only 300-350 lbs stones and they just do rep work or use a limited amount of tacky.

Hope this helps... I wouldn't want to see you invest $165 in something that will not be useful in your training.

As for the swiss ball method, it works alright. A couple of guys who I train with made stones that way and they had 1-2 usable stones and had to trash 1-2 stones that did not come out very good.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    I'm sure Tom could answer all of these questions, but I thought it would be a good idea to post it onto the Forum, in case anyone else has similar questions. I know Tom has a Q&A thread in the BB forum, but I figured this would be a more appropriate section.

Anyways, I'm going to be moving into a house in a neighborhood in June, so this allows me to have a few pieces of equipment in my garage. I'm thinking about outfitting it with a few strongman implements. I'm very interested in getting into training strongman, but the nearest group that works implements on the weekend is on the southside of Denver, kind of far for me to go every week, especially with my busy schedule. I really want to start getting into strongman, might do a couple strongman meets next month.

Anyways, onto the questions:

Implements:

- Stones
    - Bigass Tire
    - Farmers Walk
    - Some sort of log
    - Sled

Anything I'm missing? I have access to a welder so I can probably have him make some of these items, like the yoke or stone platform. I am on a budget so I may DIY on a lot of these.

2. Can anyone provide resources for DIY implements or equipment reviews?

3. making your own stones - how hard is it? Did you buy or make your own mold? Any size I should focus on? I did some research and it sounds like you can use a single Slater mold for a few weights, might go that route unless others have any input.

I'm sure I'll think of a lot more ******ed questions, i'll keep updating this thread as neeed
    For economy equipment I would make / obtain the following:

- Kegs (Loading, Carrying, Pressing, Weight for Sled Drag. They are $30 empty and can be filled with water, sand, or concrete.)
    - Axle Bar (1 7/8" pipe gives you 2" outer diameter, purchase at Home Depot / Lowes)
    - Giant Tires(Jake described this above, they are expensive to recycle so you can get them for free. I would get two tires - one for conditioning and one very heavy tire. Usually a 550-600 and 750-800 is a good combo)
    - Tire Sled (I have described how to make these in other threads, should be about $25-35)
    - Farmers Walk Implements (You can make these with pipe, or the pitbull economy handles are about $100 shipped and work well)
    - Loading Platform (Wooden pallets - simple, adjustable, and very durable).
    - Yoke / Chain Yoke (If you know a welder then you can have them make a yoke, or you can easily make a chain yoke for a limited amount of money and with simple items from the hardware store. Chain yoke is a harder event than a fixed yoke.)
    - Sandbags (Similar to kegs, they are good for loading and carrying. you can pick up a military duffle bag for $15-20 and then add gravel in plastic bags. Duct tape the outside for strength reinforcement.)

These training implements would allow you to train for a number of different events and should cost less than $250 total for everything.

If you wanted to make a log you can always get some 10" steel pipe at a junk yard and have your welder fabricate something for you. I would recommend 12" but we made a log like that once and it was 270 lbs empty; not exactly a versatile training tool. Ideally you want your log to be under 200 lbs empty so that you have something to warm up with and other individuals can use it.

Stones are something that you can look into later on, and are not very expensive if you can borrow a mold. Sometimes it is just easier to pay someone to make them for you though if there is a semi-local strongman with molds. Sandbags and kegs are a good way to train for stones and are less messy (no tacky).

Please let me know if there is anything that I can help you with.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com