Thread: Squatting and bicep tendonitis?

Hybrid View

Wannabebig New Member

Squatting and bicep tendonitis?

My shoulder has been getting a stabbing pain that is getting worse over the last few months. Physical terapist says its tendonitis of the long bicep head from long term bad posture. I read something last year about bar placement on squats leading to tendonitis but can't find anything specific. I like to squat high bar but its just to painful so I've gone to low bar for now. PT has me stretching, trying to stregnthen rhomboids ( with bands) and icing 3X daily. Anyone have any information, suggestions or experience with this?

I can bench upto 75% as long as I grip medium and really tuck my elbows. Overhead is out of the question.

powerlifter in training Liftersize's Avatar
    Two easy ways to reduce tension on biceps during squats are:

1) thumbless grip (this made a big difference for me)
    2) A wider grip on the bar

I also get tendonitis of the bicep while squatting but these two things have made it substantially better. Plus i just try to focus on not tensing up my arms too much and just letting the weight rest on my back.
    Current Stats: 6'1 185
    Deadlift 480 Bench 280 Squat 365 Raw Total: 1,125
    Front Squat 295
    My New Journal!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...49#post2331749

Quote Originally Posted by Liftersize View Post
    Two easy ways to reduce tension on biceps during squats are:

1) thumbless grip (this made a big difference for me)
    2) A wider grip on the bar

I also get tendonitis of the bicep while squatting but these two things have made it substantially better. Plus i just try to focus on not tensing up my arms too much and just letting the weight rest on my back.
    this for sure.. I haven't been able to wrap my thumbs around in years and the wider I get the wider I have to hold the bar..
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Iv had alot of trouble with the bicep crap too from squating. Ice the elbows and biceps take ur ibprophen. Iv been doing High rep db extensions and high rep db curls. it really helps get the blood flowing.

as far as bar postion a lower bar is going to be harder on your shoulders. a wider grip will help, but with the low bar postion most people dont have enough mass in the rear delt/upper back to use the wider grip.

are you using bands and chains in your squat training? the bands and chains tear my arms up. but def make you stronger and fast. I squat on fridays then when i bench on friday i do my normal stuff then do my high rep extensions and curls.

I've been having a similar problem. I get crazy pains in my front delt and some pain in the crease of my elbow. aaaand today doing some close grip bench my elbow has started popping (yay) just before I touch my chest.
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

You get more pain from high bar position? That seems odd.

What I've seen work in the past is moving the bar up higher, widening the grip, and not wrapping the thumbs around the bar.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

I started using Indian clubs before my squat day to get my shoulders loose. The clubs really get the shoulders loose and warm. Without them i could barely grab the bar.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

BIG IRON FREAK
    i wear elbow sleeves, i got the tommy kono ones from atp. Those helped and icing plus dantes shoulder stretching exercises has alleviated most of it.

Dr. Subtotal
    Typically this happens to me in the middle of my competition prep cycles....
    This sounds very brosciency, but foamrolling the forearm muscles and doing some light hammer db curls and plain db curls before squatting helps. I then use a thumbless grip up until my working sets and try to stay as far wide as possible before bringing in my hands more on the bar.

Otherwise, maybe try a camber bar or safety squat bar for a while. Usually far less stress on the arms and shoulders. Maybe even applying a little heat to the affected areas before your workouts may help
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

Wannabebig Member
    Increased flexibility (or warming up with the clubs/shoulder stuff) will probably help, I had this happen to me too. I had to take my hands wider and at one point had top put my pinkie under the bar to get that little extra bit of room. My flexibility is slowing improving, so this hasn't been necessary lately.
    Last edited by kzk464s; 03-18-2010 at 10:45 AM.

Where did you guys get your clubs from? I'd like to get some to help with overall flexibility and keep my shoulders healthier.
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

Banned
    I get this too, amongst a whole host of problems with my left shoulder, elbow and wrist. Since I've started getting physio on the affected areas and stretching the pecs daily, the low bar position is feeling much more comfortable. Hopefully once I'm flexible enough in the shoulders to get a really good bar position, there will be less stress on the bicep and elbow. I'm taking plenty of ibuprofen and fish oil while I'm adapting!

Wannabebig Member
    I also get this in the elbow from squats. This week it has been so bad that I was wondering at what point a human passes out due to pain.

I am trying some high freq squatting so i'm hoping I just adapt. I am living on ice and ibuprofen.

Continue to ice the elbows bro after every sqaut session... In addition to all the good suggestions stated above, try a different bar if possible.

My gym has a "bow" bar that I use a lot and it made a world of difference reference to the stress on my shoulders and elbows! Unless I'm peaking for a meet I always use it.

At the minimum, I would subsitute back sqauts w/ front sqauts until the pain gets better... If you dont want to lay-off completely try some sumo DL's and hvy. leg presses to maintain some strength while you heal.

Good luck,
    RC

Wannabebig New Member
    Thaks for all the suggestions.

Saw a massage therapist for the first time today and wow did it hurt. She had a whole different approach for me to use. She worked primarily on my traps, delts and pecs. First thing she said was I was pretty dehydrated and it can cause problems with the fashia releasing the muscle, disrupting growth and recovery. Second she said to find a possition in which it didn't cause pain to dig at tender part of the tendon. She said to rub it very agressively like it were a guitar string using a thumb, knuckel, elbow, wooden spoon to speed recovery. Third, NSAID and ice are my best friends.

-I will try and make some clubs to loosen up shoulders
    -try highbar with a wide thumbless grip
    -will try a different gym to get the use of different bars

A big bump for the thumbless girp, that has helped me out A LOT recently. One other thing too that I didn't see someone mention is to stretch out your elbows/shoulders using jumpstretch bands. I usually use a light band...just pull towards you like your doing a standard row, step away, rotate your shoulder, your elbow, any movement, just keep tension on the band. That has really helped loosen up my elbows, shoulders and even my wrists prior to squatting