Thread: Off To Korea

Gamer/Lifter

Off To Korea

So I am off to Korea, South Korea that is, I would go to North Korea because they have a few issues to deal with first

I'll be in Korea for anywhere from 2 to 3 years (or more) all depending on how the job goes.

Has anyone lived there? How was it,

I think I will like it, 100 MB internet for $25 a month.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Yeah the internet speed and cheapness is insane.

My brother and sister in-law are teachers in Busan. They love it. I went to visit back in July and had a blast. I actually miss it.

Just not the food.

Or the 18 hours in the air.
    Last edited by Patz; 03-19-2010 at 11:58 AM.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Gamer/Lifter
    Busan, is righ by the coast, there is actually a small chance that is where I will be located at.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Spent 18 months there while in Army,was up North,close to 38th parallel.

Ryan Hale

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Hale View Post
    Spent 18 months there while in Army,was up North,close to 38th parallel.

Ryan Hale
    Yeah and you (Nick) should definitely go check that out. We took a day tour up there and it was very cool. I won't spoil it and all, but it's worth it. My pic is on KJI's hard drive!

5/3/1 Journal

Wannabebig Member
    I did two years there. Probably two of the best years of my life. Had a great time...worked hard, played hard. Really liked the Korean people. For all the good though, it was probably the two LEAST healthy years of my life. Lots of soju, OB beer, and This cigarettes.

And keep in mind that Korean girls LOVE American men. My brother said an ugly American can get just about any Korea girls he wants.

Except for me, beause I'm bald and they think bald=old when it comes to foreigners. He's 25 and I'm 30, and they thought I was his dad.

5/3/1 Journal

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd View Post
    And keep in mind that Korean girls LOVE American men. My brother said an ugly American can get just about any Korea girls he wants.

Except for me, beause I'm bald and they think bald=old when it comes to foreigners. He's 25 and I'm 30, and they thought I was his dad.

THIS is what I wanted to know LOL. Is there much of a language barrier or no?

I envy those internet speeds. Do companies ever outsource their website servers to other countries with faster internet?
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Wannabebig Member
    Good luck in Korea, don't forget to tell us later how are you going there. It is going to be amazing life experience for sure.

Gamer/Lifter
    I will, and the internet speeds will be epic

I thought your dad just bought you a bike and you were moving to Atlanta. You are a globe trotting machine. Good luck with the new gig and congrats on being the biggest person in Korea.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BilltheButcher View Post
    I thought your dad just bought you a bike and you were moving to Atlanta. You are a globe trotting machine. Good luck with the new gig and congrats on being the biggest person in Korea.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by d'Anconia View Post
    THIS is what I wanted to know LOL. Is there much of a language barrier or no?

I envy those internet speeds. Do companies ever outsource their website servers to other countries with faster internet?
    It's not too bad. Kids are taught English from day 1 in school so most people you encounter can speak enough English to get by, and particularly in fast food places, stores, etc. If you're an American and not bald, I'd say you can pretty much have a couple different girls on your arm every week. I'm not sure how well a younger bald guy would do. My brother gets hit-on or admired by women from grade school to past middle age, but he looks like Tom Brady where I look more like Dana White..lol

If you're thinking of going to teach, I think it'd be fun. BUT..they live in Busan, which is the envy of all English teachers, so Busan is about all I know. It was a crap shoot. They didn't know their assignment until they were on Korean soil. We spent a couple days in Seoul, and it's also pretty cool. It's VERY safe and clean. Oddly enough, as clean as it is, I didn't see a single street corner trashcan in Seoul.

5/3/1 Journal

5th year in Korea.. 3rd in Seoul. A pack of cigs is like 2 bucks. Nasty soju (alcohol) is really cheap so you can get quite drunk easily.

Someone above mentioned cleanliness, I found Japan to by MUCH cleaner by far. Except for parts of the wealthier 구s. But it is extremely safe here, almost to the point of being creepy. But alcoholism is rampant here so at nighttime things get interesting sometimes.

Please learn how to read Korean if you are interested in it at all. It is relatively easy to pick up and worth your time. Tons of words are loaned from English anyways.
    Sogang - Learn Korean

Taxis are relatively cheap, $2 basic rate and $10 or less should get you home at night unless you live way out in the boonies.

I've given up on thinking about a serious relationship here, I've met plenty of girls here but none of the ones I've dated speak English enough to have any kind of in depth conversation. IMO Korean girls are hotter in general than Chinese and Japanese. They don't care about age as much as American chicks, all the last 5 girls I've dated have been 4 to 9 years younger than me. Enjoy.

I've got to say that it seems like there's more crap to do in Tokyo or any city back in the States. So much of the culture here is based around computers or drinking. I'm sick of alcohol now.

Ah, widespread prostitution. It's everywhere, I don't even want to guess what percent of the GDP it would be if they tried to measure it. There's so much cheating on wives and damaging of young girls perspective on men that goes on here it bugs me. Hookers. They're everywhere here, and I've found that many Koreans are in denial about it even though there's seriously 8 places within a 5 min walk of where I live where I could go pay for a girl... if I was Korean. If I lived closer to a business center there'd be even more of those kinds of places close by.

I knew a French dude that couldn't take the food here, lost like 20lbs in 2 months (he was really skinny already) and had to go home. Haha. He didn't discover the joys of Costco in time. First Taco Bell opening up soon!
    Last edited by natediesel; 03-22-2010 at 09:09 AM.
    My Journal My FatDay

Gamer/Lifter
    Yes I was going back to Georgia to live, then things changed.

I found out the region that I am going too, it's in the south sorta in the boonies. They give me the location name but I forgot it.

The money is really good though, I remember that part

You didn't even bother explaining why you're going there or moving there.

Let me guess.. for the women?

He can't be goin there for the women if he lives out in the boonies. Most of the hot girls want to move to Seoul or Busan. Seriously. And to make a broad generalization, the fact that he's white is a bonus if he's looking for a gf or just to get laid but, in general, it is offset by the fact that most Korean girls are more conservative than the average American girl. Of course there are sluts in every country but anyways...
    My Journal My FatDay

Gamer/Lifter

He can't be goin there for the women if he lives out in the boonies. Most of the hot girls want to move to Seoul or Busan. Seriously. And to make a broad generalization, the fact that he's white is a bonus if he's looking for a gf or just to get laid but, in general, it is offset by the fact that most Korean girls are more conservative than the average American girl. Of course there are sluts in every country but anyways...
    Not going for the women

Going for the money

Are you taking a job teaching English?

5/3/1 Journal

Gamer/Lifter

Are you taking a job teaching English?
    Me teaching English? Have you seen my grammar? No it's a sales position.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik00117 View Post
    Me teaching English? Have you seen my grammar? No it's a sales position.
    LOL..your grammar IS pretty rough. I was actually thinking that you need a degree to teach there, and from what I recall you aren't quite old enough to have finished college.

Do you plan on selling something where English is the preferred language for negotiation?

5/3/1 Journal

Gamer/Lifter
    Do you plan on selling something where English is the preferred language for negotiation?
    Will be working on a US base.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by natediesel View Post

This. I'd add more but he said it all.

Getting back to the subject, hope you have a blast OP. And yes learning a little Korean can be quite helpful if you plan on sampling the local night (or day) style.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 03-26-2010 at 12:42 AM.

They might be conservative, or they might just be shy and wait for the guy to make the first move.