The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Deadlift Bar question

Ok, my team and I are doing a Raw Meet in April. We do not own a deadlift bar unfortunately. But there will be one at the meet. Is there a huge difference? What should I expect and what should I tell my team to expect?

I have heard it is easier to pull with a DL bar rather than a normal barbell. Just curious. Thanks for the help!

Lewy

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I didn't even know there was a deadlift bar. ha, awesome. Unless it's like a hex/trap bar or a cambered deadlift bar. Interested in this too now.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

It's narrower which makes it easier to grip. It'll have more flex than a normal bar. You want to pull the slack out of the bar before you break the floor.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

I'm curious to know what a deadlift bar is too. Maybe it's just like a regular barbell but stiffer. For most people it's easier to pull with a stiffer bar rather than one that has a lot of flex to it.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

It also might just have to do with the location of the knurling. Some bars have a smooth section, like a gap in the knurling, where your shins would go while deadlifting in order to prevent the rough part of the bar form scraping against your shins.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWild View Post
    It's narrower which makes it easier to grip. It'll have more flex than a normal bar. You want to pull the slack out of the bar before you break the floor.
    This.

Smaller circumfrance. More space b/t the collars for the sumo pullers. More flex in the bar. No center knurling.

I personally would train with one if you can. If you are a guy who jerks the bar off the floor the whip in the bar may surprise you.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

Echoing what Marcus and Adam said, if you can get one to train with I would do that. If not, you have to be ready to pull the slack out of the bar at the meet. I've seen some people who are using to really blasting the bar off the floor get thrown forward by a DL bar because they didn't pull the slack out and the bar whips on the way up.

Wannabebig Member
    Everything has pretty much been covered. Its thinner, whippier, with no center knurling. The first time I pulled off one I hit a small PR. You just have to keep in mind you can't 'jerk' the bar off the floor as the whip will hit and basically throw you off.

Unlike what Phenom said, the smooth part probably isn't wide enough to prevent shin scraping. at the last APF meet I went to, there was a new rule I guess that said the lifter had to wear DL socks, shin guard, or have some kind of tape coving the shins for this very reason.
    Last edited by kzk464s; 03-31-2010 at 10:52 AM.

Everything has been covered but a bar with whip should actually be easier to pull with as long as you don't jerk off the floor.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by kzk464s View Post
    Everything has pretty much been covered. Its thinner, whippier, with no center knurling. The first time I pulled off one I hit a small PR. You just have to keep in mind you can't 'jerk' the bar off the floor as the whip will hit and basically throw you off.

Unlike what Phenom said, the smooth part probably isn't wide enough to prevent shin scraping. at the last APF meet I went to, there was a new rule I guess that said the lifter had to wear DL socks, shin guard, or have some kind of tape coving the shins for this very reason.
    Of course that depends on how wide the OPs stance is.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

Interesting... Wish we had one at my gym.

Do they cost about the same as a regular bar?
    RC

They are ~$400 shipped.
    www.wildirongym.com

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    Of course that depends on how wide the OPs stance is.
    This is true, and also how close the bar is to the body when OP pulls. Some people drag it up their shins, some don't.

BIG IRON FREAK
    smaller diameter bar, more whip, deeper knurling. Im thinking about pulling with a regular bar until about 3 weeks until me meet because i think the regular bar will make u stronger when u come back to the dl bar.

Why does Rippetoe say a stiffer bar is better for DLs?

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

Same reason Rippetoe says to lift your ass first and turn your squat into a good morning.
    Last edited by SoCoBarbell; 04-01-2010 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCoBarbell View Post
    Same reason Rippetoe says to lift your ass first and turn your squat into a good morning.
    I think you're mistaken.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

I have no idea. But I can tell you that no way in hell i want to try and pull over 700 lbs in a meet with a stiff bar.

Wannabebig Member
    Because its harder perhaps? He is pretty much against most gear as well (I think) so I'm guessing that is where his stance lies.

I have no idea.

Maybe he meant stiff compared to an olympic bar used for cleans and snatches?

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

Wannabebig Member
    Maybe he meant stiff compared to an olympic bar used for cleans and snatches?
    Well, deadlift bars are pretty similar in terms of whip/flex (brand differences notwithstanding of course) to oly bars, or are at least closer to them than they are to power bars.

Difference of opinion perhaps?

thanks for all the responses....I def do not jerk the bar...I squeeze the bar up. I am lookin forward to the meet and using a DL bar! My first Raw meet...well see how it goes...been awhile since Ive trained heavy an competed...cant wait!!!!

Our gym may be getting a DL/SQ bar...we may trade a standard barbell for one.

Lewy

A DL/SQ bar? They are two separate, very different bars. The squat bar is 8 ft long (standard bar is 7 ft), 55 lbs, and thicker than a normal bar. It's designed to have minimal flex.
    www.wildirongym.com

I think you're mistaken.
    REALLY? Watch him ruin this kids squat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yha2XAc2qu8

Rippetoe advocates driving the ass up, but NOT at the expense of decreasing back angle, which would turn the squat into a good morning. It's in black and white. If that kid was doing that, it wasn't Rip telling him to.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515