The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

Dumbbell Shoulder Press help

Hey everyone.
    I'm 16 years old and I've been lifting for 6 months now. I am currently facing a problem with the dumbbell shoulder press (seated), which is my main exercise for shoulders. I can press a pair of 66 lbs dbs (yes, the weight may sound weird, but the metric system is used where I live, and I use 30 kg, which is 66 lbs) for 10 reps, with full range of motion ( I touch my shoulders on every rep with the dumbbells). Therefore, this weight is currently too light for me, as I would like a weight with which I could perform 6-7 reps. Unfortunately, the next heaviest dumbbells at my gym weigh 77 lbs (35 kg, an 11 lbs increase), and I can only get them for 3 reps before my shoulders fail. As you can see, I have plateaued, and it is really frustrating me, as the db shoulder press is one of my favorite lifts. What advice do you guys have for me? Any help is much appreciated.
    Thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

tape 2.5 lb plates on each side of the dumbbells

or do barbell OH presses
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old
    prepping for my first show!

drop sets starting with the heavier ones.... or 10 sets of 2 with them.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

I've had that same problem, and have used 2.5lb ankle weights that you connect to your ankles with a velcro strap.....
    1. cinch the ankle weights together like you would if you were putting them around your ankles (but don't put them around your ankles.... (so that they make a circle),
    2. grab each one of them with your two middle fingers of each hand (so you've got one 2.5 ankle weight in each hand that you're holding by the straps with your two middle fingers).
    3. Now grab the dumbells

Now you're holding 68.5 lb dumbells instead of 66 lb dumbells.
    Last edited by Iplan; 03-20-2010 at 07:30 PM.

On the smaller muscles its better (or not as bad as on bigger muscles) to go lighter weight with more intensity...you get more out of it... like bicep curls you dont go as heavy as you can you lower the weight and focus on the muscle contraction.

So like someone mentioned if the next higher weight is too much try to make the weight youre doing harder. The first thing that comes to mind; switch to Arnolds instead of straight overhead presses... that'll be a bit harder. Next like the other guy mentioned lower the weight very slowly then slam it back up do that till youre burned out.... within a few weeks you'll be lifting that heavier weight.

It also might be a good idea to strengthen the stabilizer muscles around that area do some rotator exercises... maybe some overhead tricep exercises will help.

Banned
    Thank you very much for your help and advice guys, I'm really happy to see that so many of you took the time to help me out.
    Today was the day I train my shoulders on. I figured I needed to change things up a bit in order to continue making strength gains, so I went with Arnolds as my main shoulder exercise (as Skalami suggested). It definitely felt harder than regular overhead presses: instead of getting 10 easy reps with 66 lbs, as I do on regular overhead presses, I was only able to get 7 reps. I definitely liked that exercise.
    So I think that what I'm going to do now is switch to Arnolds as my main shoulder movement, until I can get more than 10 reps with 66 lbs, meaning that I'd probably be ready for the 77 lbs.
    Once again, thanks for your help guys. Hopefully I'll be pressin the hell outta those 77 lbers in no time!

Nice! As it is i do 65-70lb dumbell presses so were about equal... although for Arnolds i need to dial down the weight to around 55-60... i gotta start tracking the weight im lifting a little more closely i forget in between workouts