Thread: What routine is best if increasing vertical jump is the primary goal?

Wannabebig Member

What routine is best if increasing vertical jump is the primary goal?

I'm only interested in improving jump height and explosiveness. Anyone have any advice on what routine is best for doing this? I can almost dunk now and squat maybe 175 at best, so I figure starting a weightlifting routine would help get those last few inches. But what routine? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wilson View Post
    I'm only interested in improving jump height and explosiveness. Anyone have any advice on what routine is best for doing this? I can almost dunk now and squat maybe 175 at best, so I figure starting a weightlifting routine would help get those last few inches. But what routine? Thanks in advance.
    I had good success with starting strength. You can look it up on these forums. I can almost guarantee that as your squat gets up into respectable numbers you will add a few inches of vertical to be able to dunk.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

High vertical leaps are made by more than just a set routine. Squats will definitely help, but don't stop there. Lost of explosive jumping moves are needed. Box jumps, one legged jumps, one legged hops up stairs (try to do more than one stair at a time), two legged hops up stairs (again, do more than one stair at a time). I also had good success with "strength shoes"... they're the big shoes with paddles on the toes, which make you keep all your weight on your toes to focus building your calf muscles. Also...there's a lot of technique to jumping. The wind up to the jump is very important for two feet jumpers... and the lift off with the opposite leg is crucial to the one foot jumpers.

There's a few good write ups on jumping routines online.

And yes, I'm under 5'11" and until my knee blowout I could still dunk at 32 years old. I had a 42" vertical in college and could easily dunk... I could just nick the rim with my elbow.

My whole life I was obsessed with being able to dunk, and worked at it religiously...finally being able to when I was 15 (I was the same height then as I am now...but I only weighed about 140 lbs, vs. 215 now)

Good luck and work hard...you'll get there.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

Another thing I used to do was to use the leg press sled and load up as much weight as I could do while still being able to actually press fast enough to get the sled off of my feet a few inches. Obviously be careful with this, and make sure you've warmed up well.

Standing vertical leaps while holding pregressively heavier dumbells also helped me recently as well. I typically did sets of 12-15... but varied them weekly, sometimes upping the weight to the point that I could only do about 5 or 6.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

Get your squat up as well as train your explosiveness.

Getting your vertical up is really easier than a lot of people think.

At 5'9" and 260lbs I can touch the rim and honestly, I could care less about dunking lol. I like watching basketball, but playing it isn't really in my interest.

I squat, deadlift and work on box jump variations.

Typically I have my athletes do box jumps on their lower days. We do kneeling box jumps, standing box jumps, standing box jumps with weight, seated box jumps and seated box jumps with weight.

Use variations between heavy weight and light weight to work on the box jumps. It'll come.

Just don't go out and try to grab rim every week. Wait. Give your work time and the jumps will go up.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

as someone who can only squat 175, added strength will definitely help. squats and deadlifts.

the biggest thing for someone who JUST wants to increase vert, is using your energy wisely. for instance, if you're on a plyometrics routine (like the stuff Travis talked about), it's important to follow it to the letter and to never do more for the sake of doing more (that will potentially increase your jump endurance, but not max height itself). along the same lines, if you want your vert to get up, you can't be playing pickup ball several days a week because this will impede your ability to recover from your last workout and prepare for the next. same with any sort of cardio like jogging, biking, etc. save your legs for jumping. i saw the biggest gains in my vert when i was on a good plyo program, lifting only for maintenance, and basically sitting on my ass when i wasn't doing one of my assigned workouts.

but honestly, you need to get your squat up. a general rule is to squat at least 1.5x your bodyweight before doing any jump training. get there first, THEN do the plyometrics, and you will benefit from them a lot more.
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Wannabebig Member
    this is supposed to be good but no free http://www.jumpmanual.com/?hop=affilweb

also check this post http://www.streetballtalk.com/jump-t...-programs.html i just read the third one from the top kelly bagget, im going to start doing that one.
    Last edited by Krazor; 03-23-2010 at 02:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    I also had good success with "strength shoes"... they're the big shoes with paddles on the toes, which make you keep all your weight on your toes to focus building your calf muscles.
    I just posted about this last night in the GPP forum:

... the reason that those crazy-funky-vertical-jump-shoes work at all is NOT because they strengthen the calf muscles - it is because the hips are forced to activate! Ankle extension does NOT provide much in the way of 'air-time' - it is THE HIPS that are providing the drive.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I just posted about this last night in the GPP forum:

... the reason that those crazy-funky-vertical-jump-shoes work at all is NOT because they strengthen the calf muscles - it is because the hips are forced to activate! Ankle extension does NOT provide much in the way of 'air-time' - it is THE HIPS that are providing the drive.
    Agreed. Nobody ever jumped because of their calves.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

how else can you "force the hips to activate" besides wearing those crazy shoes? i've been doing a lot of dynamic and static stretches in the name of increased hip mobility lately -- is that all it takes?
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird