The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 51 of 198 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 4931
    House Lannister

Row 170x3

Skip to about :55
    Last edited by chevelle2291; 11-21-2010 at 06:48 PM.

reps 2 and 4 [of the squat] were the only sketchy ones. I think you're just not staying tight enough there because you handle it pretty well every other rep...
    Last edited by Behemoth; 11-21-2010 at 06:50 PM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    reps 2 and 4 were the only sketchy ones. I think you're just not staying tight enough there because you it pretty well every other rep...
    Rep 2 sucked because I hit the damn safety pins on the right side. Because I was unsure about depth on the second rep, I did a 4th rep also. I initially only planned to hit 3 reps.

House Lannister
    I'm loading the bench to youtube. Gimme a minute...

House Lannister

Bench 235x4

lift starts at 1:16
    Last edited by chevelle2291; 11-21-2010 at 06:59 PM.

Rows look great.

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

House Lannister
    Rows look great.
    Why thankee Rory. I've been hoping to get some weight moving on these for a while now. 200x5 would be great by january 15.

Are you 100% on your workouts yet?

Strong bench. It'll be a lot strong if you get you get some more arch and keep your wrists straight under the bar. Very strong for your long limbs nonetheless.

Symbology? Now that Duffy has relinquished his "King Bonehead" crown, I see we have an heir to the throne! I'm sure the word you were looking for was "symbolism." What is the ssss-himbolism there?

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Why thankee Rory. I've been hoping to get some weight moving on these for a while now. 200x5 would be great by january 15.

Are you 100% on your workouts yet?
    negative. meniscus is shot but believe it not can squat without discomfort. unfortunately ive had a terrible tightness in my lower back that shoots into my right glute for months now.

House Lannister
    Symbology? Now that Duffy has relinquished his "King Bonehead" crown, I see we have an heir to the throne! I'm sure the word you were looking for was "symbolism." What is the ssss-himbolism there?
    Uh....what?

House Lannister
    negative. meniscus is shot but believe it not can squat without discomfort. unfortunately ive had a terrible tightness in my lower back that shoots into my right glute for months now.
    I'm sorry to hear that.

House Lannister
    Took a closer look at the squat vids.

Wanted to start out by talking about things I'm happy with.

1. Depth. I really nailed depth on all of these. All are extremely below parallel.

2. Weight. I've added about 70-75 pounds or so to my 5rm on squats in about three months, which I think is pretty decent.

Some things I've noticed:

It looks like I lose tightness in the upper back once in the hole. The bar then shifts forward while I ascend up as my upper back is rounded, however after a certain point in the ascent I lock the weight out with my legs while my upper back seems to stay in that same position, which I would say is NOT the same as goodmorning the weight up.

Although definitely not textbook, I am a bit happier with my squats after taking another look at them. What I think I need to work on:

1. Food! I need to get my body weight moving or else I'm going to stall hard at some point. I think I could get a nasty bench if I were to weigh in at 185 or so after a few months. I also need to start counting my grams of protein more.

2. Core work! I haven't done an accessory lift in forever. I am adding static abdominal and static hypers to each of my workouts to help strengthen my abs. I feel that static holds with weight are better for helping form as I read somewhere that losing tightness has more to do with abdominal strength endurance than abdominal maximal strength.

3. Biceps exercises. Laugh if you like, but I feel like madcow leaves a bit to be desired for bicep growth. Nothing special, just dumbbell or barbell curls, one or two working sets. I have done high volume with biceps and triceps...It doesn't work for me. I'm taking more of a HIT-style approach and will be using one warm-up set followed by one or two hard maximal sets. Looking to up weight or reps every workout.
    Last edited by chevelle2291; 11-22-2010 at 12:42 AM.

House Lannister

Doms doms doms

Jesus my lower back and glutes are destroyed today.

Last edited by chevelle2291; 11-22-2010 at 10:45 AM.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    haha I haven't seen that pic for a long time it always gets me.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

I agree with Rory on the back arch and keeping your wrists straight. I have the same problems, including the long limbs, and I'm working on them too. If we can fix these issues then our bench press should benefit from it.

Also, I think it's a good call on some bicep work. It's nothing to laugh at and I think we should include it in our routines. Most fools just go stupid and obsess over it.

Curls are functional...I don't know why people don't believe me when I say that...
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by SCmmaFAN View Post
    I agree with Rory on the back arch and keeping your wrists straight. I have the same problems, including the long limbs, and I'm working on them too. If we can fix these issues then our bench press should benefit from it.

Also, I think it's a good call on some bicep work. It's nothing to laugh at and I think we should include it in our routines. Most fools just go stupid and obsess over it.
    Yea, very true on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Curls are functional...I don't know why people don't believe me when I say that...

House Lannister
    AM Weight: 168.6

Been looking more and more at Berkhan's IF protocol. Very interesting stuff there. I'm going to do a test run of it today and attempt to get all my calories in in an 8 hour window and see how it feels. The lean gains people seem to get off of his protocols are VERY impressive.

I was going to work out around 11 am today, but I've decided to skip it. My lower back, glutes, and upper back are still pretty DOMsed and I need to get some stuff done before I head home for Thanksgiving break. I'll either work out late tonight or tomorrow morning.

House Lannister

Madcow 5x5 Entry Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Pre-workout: So I lied. I ended up going to the gym after all, even though I now think that was a mistake. I had to rush to get to the gym and didn't have a whole lot of time to get my stuff done.

Squats
    135x5
    170x5
    205x5
    205x5

Military Press
    90x5
    105x5
    125x5
    140x4--PR!

Deadlift
    135x5
    215x5
    255x5
    300x5-tough
    340x5-PR!
    That last set was nasty form, however. I was really, really rushed to get that set done and didn't get enough rest between that set and 300x5. In retrospect, I should've just walked home after 300, but I was hungry for a dead pr today. Stiff deaded most of those reps. Not happy with the form, and my back is feeling it a bit right now. No acute pain, just some dull aches in my upper back. Very stupid of me. You'd think I'dve learned the last time around.

I think I'll be taking off lifting until Friday. I haven't had two days off in a bit and I think my lower back is a little fried right now. We'll see how I feel come Friday.

Oh, and the IF failed miserably. I simply can't down that many calories right after my workout, and my eating schedule is too weird to make it feasible.

Nice PRs...your deadlift is strong!
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Nice PRs...your deadlift is strong!
    Thankee OR!

I'd say that you could go for a little bit more upper body movement on the BB Rows if it meant getting another rep or 2. Your form is perfect and strict, I definitely use a bit of swing with my reps. Looking good though.

This is one of the best routines you could have picked up on, your strength is just increasing week after week. Very impressive, very!
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

No less than 8000kcal tomorrow will be tolerated from you.

Two PR's in a session, that takes some serious effort well done.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'